For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you like a wedge with that?

I think I am going to go with the vdh or oxycheq wings as you recommend. So long as there are anti-roll pads, I should be OK, right?

I think I am going to go with the vdh or oxycheq wings as you recommend. So long as there are anti-roll pads, I should be OK, right?

Anti-roll bars on the wing and the wedge are for 2 different things.

The roll bars keep the tank from wobbling side to side.

The wedge (or a rail) creates some space between the bottom of the plate and the tank.

I have been meaning to order a wedge from Eric. I have been using the Freedom plate with no rail or wedge. When I'm in proper diving position (horizontal, back arched), the top of the tank nestles down between my shoulder blades (i.e. perfect). But, the bottom of the tank ends up basically resting on my butt, and that ends up holding the bottom of the plate out away from my lower back a little bit. The wedge should make enough space between the bottom of the plate and the tank for the plate to be up against my back - which is how it would be the most stable.

Unless you are a person with literally no butt at all, you probably want a wedge or a rail.

Ok, point taken. Eric, I am sorry to keep doing this but please include a wedge with my thin ss contour plate in large.

I guess because, ultimately, as a 50 year old white guy, I'd like to think I still have an ass.

Anti-roll bars on the wing and the wedge are for 2 different things.

The roll bars keep the tank from wobbling side to side.

The wedge (or a rail) creates some space between the bottom of the plate and the tank.

I have been meaning to order a wedge from Eric. I have been using the Freedom plate with no rail or wedge. When I'm in proper diving position (horizontal, back arched), the top of the tank nestles down between my shoulder blades (i.e. perfect). But, the bottom of the tank ends up basically resting on my butt, and that ends up holding the bottom of the plate out away from my lower back a little bit. The wedge should make enough space between the bottom of the plate and the tank for the plate to be up against my back - which is how it would be the most stable.

Unless you are a person with literally no butt at all, you probably want a wedge or a rail.
As a counterpoint, I have a small contour plate, and (I think) a pretty big butt (I can deadlift over 420 lbs). I don’t notice any difference in diving with or without the wedge with an Al80 tank. I never feel the tank contact my body. Diving with a VDH 23 lbs wing.

this probably would have gotten flagged and i'm already on super double secret probation.

As a counterpoint, I have a small contour plate, and (I think) a pretty big butt (I can deadlift over 420 lbs). I don’t notice any difference in diving with or without the wedge with an Al80 tank. I never feel the tank contact my body. Diving with a VDH 23 lbs wing.

I didn't really notice anything about mine one way or the other - until a buddy took a picture of me from the side and I could see a gap between the plate and my lower back.

An aluminum 80 starts to get bottom light somewhere around mid dive so not as much pressure on the posterior. Some people like the feel of having the tank laying on their back and butt, and some don’t. People who do a lot of squats and have pronounced glutes have a natural resting place for the tank cylinder and they take full advantage of this feature. Some people don't dive with their body arched up but are more straight. The body moves around, bends, flexes, it’s a dynamic machine. Not all diving is in strict form. All these things need to taken into consideration.
I used to dive a basket harness with no plate at all when I was into vintage. The tank literally rests on your body. Butt cheeks become part of the tank stability mechanism when using no plate.

Think about this, a regular doubles plate has no angle or wedge at all plus the top sits out away from your body a considerable distance because the tops of those plates are so wide and sit on top of your shoulder blades, which in turn drives the bottom of the tank in even further. If you look at a diver who supposedly thinks they are in perfect trim laying flat, you will notice the tank is angled up hill when they use a doubles plate. Interestingly, I never hear any complaints about how much pressure there is on peoples’ butts from using a conventional doubles plate, but they are the worst for this, way worse than even a poodle jacket.
So my point is, even without a wedge my plate is still way better for trim than a standard doubles plate just because the top is allowed to drop down in between your shoulder blades making streamlining and trim pretty nice. A wedge just makes the tank and body alignment a little bit nicer.

Maybe I'm just hungry but every time you guys say wedge, I can't stop thinking about a meatball sandwich.

Can someone post a link to the info on prices / options. I'm normally pretty good at searching, but this is eluding me.

Back
Top Bottom