Shark repellent wet suit? Not exactly, but interesting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tempted to add KL to my bucket list. How cold is it there?

I remember one time in the winter the water got down to the mid 70's and people thought it was freezing.

My experience has been summertime is around 85, winter is in the high 70's... pretty much like anywhere in the northern half of the Caribbean. Seems like Coz and KL temperatures track about the same.

KL is one of my favorite places to take people (usually family, sometimes we bring along friends...) for a diving trip. Tons of dive ops, four big wrecks (300 ft plus... one is a shallow, real wreck that makes for a great night dive), warm water, usually great viz. Plus there's plenty of ways to kill your dryside time. It's an island... and there are several others you can explore further south of KL. But if somehow you get too bored, Miami is only an hour drive away.

And it's easy to get to: fly into either FLL or MIA, get a rental car and in less than two hours you're in KL.

Reactions: CWK
I remember reading an article about this design and thinking that it definitely will work to repel something.

Reactions: yle
Most of the time I’m trying to get a close encounter with sharks. Granted they are not great whites, but I’d be more interested in a wetsuit that attracts sharks.

Get a rebreather.

Didn't the Navy have Picasso do something like this on their warships in WWII?

a19b461d8ec0b6b633ed4e5e505f5da9.jpg

Thought about it. Didn’t want to lug a CCR all around the world, and it is only good in countries that allow me to go solo. If buddy or dive group is on OC, me being on CCR alone does not do much. Also, most of the LOBs that I use do not have CCR support.

I know but other than all of that stuff, it's just what you need!

Reactions: CWK
cost. black neoprene is probably cheapest. and there aren't enough shark attacks to matter.

the only way they could sell a "shark-repellent" wetsuit would be to stoke the irrational fear that sharks want to eat us

if I think of more reasons, I'll post again.

Yeah, my understanding is that the "attacks" are most likely the shark taking a taste. Sharks prefer seal to people, and, I'm told, don't continue to eat after the taste. Unfortunately, a taste that severs a major artery can be fatal.

I suspect that surfers have something more than divers to worry about because they look a bit like seals from below. And a large creature blowing lots of bubbles is probably scary to a GW.

A news program, just the last few days had an interesting bit on GWS and their migration and sudden abundance. Several researcher programs are tagging them and and tracking the movements. One of the researchers was asked what he told his children in regards to swimming along Cape Cod beaches. His advice was not to go further than waist deep or less. That from a GWS researcher. N

When I first saw the thread topic, I thought it was referring to an an novelty wetsuit said to repel sharks. It had the words, "Not Food!" printed on it.

I do wonder about the science behind the suit. How much study has been given to its statistical effectiveness?

I thought it was just going to smell like something sharks don't like. except for the water transfer, what if you put a whole bunch of 4" nails through it pointing outwards all over your body? They might come in for a nibble but I'd imagine they'd let go pretty quick.

You'd also have a lot of space around you on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom