Which training to do first: fundies or drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You missed where the OP said he isn't planning to go tech.

Thank you for pointing this out. Since he does need drysuit training for his local diving, I believe that training with drysuit first and gaining more experience and comfort with it first before going on to fundies is the better option. Drysuit training and experience is more useful for him in his local diving than fundies for sure. He also can do the drysuit course with the same instructor who will be doing the fundies course so that he gets even more useful training with drysuit and buoyancy control in addition to getting into the GUE "mood" before the fundies.

You missed where the OP said he isn't planning to go tech.

Is that that important? Personally, I'm all for people who only plan to dive recreationally to achieve a tech pass as then they are really solid divers. They don't have to, but a good goal nonethless. Just taking fundies will improve one's abilities, regardless if a rec pass is earned or not.

To the OP.

I'd suggest for taking dry suit first for the sake of comfort of diving on Monterey.

I vote drysuit first before Fundies. The less-important reason is that a Fundamentals class requires a significant number of consecutive hours in the water and that's almost always going to be more comfortable in a drysuit with well-selected undergarments.

More importantly, one of the goal-outcomes of Fundamentals is that you are able to perform skills with a high level of confidence and control. My subjective belief is that by learning to use your drysuit first and gaining experience, you will have better muscle-memory for controlling suit and this will make it easier to maintain your overall control during skills.

Drysuit Primer is going to be taught by an instructor who also teaches Fundamentals. They're already calibrated with the knowledge and standards needed to coach your drysuit performance to a level that will support your Fundies success.

Take drysuit primer from a GUE instructor. Chances are you will get a free Intro to fundies

Then just go dive with more GUE folks. Get more free intro to fundies.

FYI, if you're only interested in taking Fundies to improve your buoyancy, propulsion, and trim, you can just take Part I.

Contact our local GUE instructor and get his opinion. I don't believe it will make any difference. I took a PADI drysuit course and did not learn much. I didn't start to feel more comfortable in my suit until I took Fundamentals. You learn how much gas to use, where the gas tends to migrate in the suit and how to efficiently vent the suit.

During Fundamentals, we spent so much time in the water. With Fouth Element Arctic undergarments I struggled to keep my head in the game as I was cold. My dive buddies in 400gm Thinsulate and Weezle undegarments had no problems. It would take a hardy individual to complete Fundamentals in Monterey, using a wetsuit.

Everyone is a little different and where, how often, and the types of diving they do can be factors. It's probably best to talk to your Fundies instructor and see what they recommend for you.

I think you would be crazy to take fundies in a wet suit where you are. You will be spending significant amounts of time in the water and a wetsuit multiple dives a day is not fun and will get in the way of learning. You spend a fair amount of time watching and practicing (ie not moving) so getting cold is an issue. In warm water sure but in cold water get a dry suit and dive it.

In water time is always the most important.
Do the drysuit. It will significantly improve your comfort both on the dive and post dive.

On any course. Maximising the in water time is important. You don't want to be doing fundies when you are cold, your concentration will be adversely effected. Your body temperature should be higher after a drysuit dive. Which becomes an important factor when you are doing consecutive dives in temperate waters.

Also, as already said, don't do fundies in a drysuit until you are comfortable in the drysuit.
It may also be wise to talk to the GUE instructor, he/she may offer a drysuit course. Which would mean you would be diving in the manner he/she would prefer.

I switch back and forth between the suit and wing dependent without really thinking about. Lighter kit configurations I would normally use the suit only, although this normally results in a howl of protests. By the time I've put air in the suit to take the squeeze off, I'm neutral.

Back
Top Bottom