Using a GoPro camera for diving, give me some new ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got this setup for less than $50us. I clip it off when not using.

Attachments

• CEEBC3C3-EAE5-4C15-BD1C-E38E075688EB.jpeg
    CEEBC3C3-EAE5-4C15-BD1C-E38E075688EB.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 112
For the past ten years I've been using my Go Pro with a red and pink filter for diving. Currently I have a GP 5 on an AquaPod mini hand held stick. The setup is simple to use underwater, easy to carry when I travel but I know there's better solutions. My wife and I were just in Belize for two weeks diving. On a shelf dive I was down 125' and my videos are just too dark at that depth. I've never added a light setup for the GP. Under 100' my GP does a great job.

I'm not looking to break the bank or come up with a camera rig with lights bars. I am just looking for something that's better than what I have and easy to dive with. What are some recommendations and cameras y'all are using?

Thanks in advanced!

The loss of ambient light when you are diving "deep" (which depends on water clarity), using filters is detrimental due to insufficient light. It may be better to accept the loss of colors in order to maximize the available light.

We offer a modular and compact two handle Go Pro tray and light system that is quite inexpensive. If you want good color at depth and stable video, a two handle tray system with light(s) is the best solution.

https://www.makospearguns.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=M2HTCT

If this sounds like something you are interested in, please check out the video.

Thanks

dano

One more question. I've been researching the heck out of lights and setups for the gopro. I've come across two video's that now confuse me. Yes, I use red filters on my GP. One video showed when they flipped the lights on everything lit up red in the video. Then another video showed light systems with colored filters to go over the lights. I'm not sure when everything lit up red was because of the red filter on the light or GP?

If I go with a two light setup, do I still need to use my red filters?

I'm sure there are members who have more expertise than me on this question, but I will give you my understanding. Filters are used to help restore the spectrum of colors at depth because some portions of the sun's light is absorbed. Red falls off the shallowest. Filters don't add light, they reduce it and try to re-balance things out by reducing some colors. That's why they don't work so well when deep or when there is poor sunlight penetration.

If/when you bring an artificial (white) source of light to depth, the reds, orange yellows are all present and thus you don't need a filter, If you use a filter, it may look similar to the effect of using a red filter at the surface which makes everything too red.

So my understanding is no filters if you are bringing the light with you. The two light configuration will give you a wide field of illumination which is beneficial when using the Go Pro in a wide or super wide setting.

You should also understand that during a day dive, when there is decent ambient light (even when deep) the video lights will bring back color and clarity for subjects that are relatively close to the camera, maybe 3-4- 5 feet? Anything further than that will not be lit up and will have the more monochrome appearance.

One more question. I've been researching the heck out of lights and setups for the gopro. I've come across two video's that now confuse me. Yes, I use red filters on my GP. One video showed when they flipped the lights on everything lit up red in the video. Then another video showed light systems with colored filters to go over the lights. I'm not sure when everything lit up red was because of the red filter on the light or GP?

If I go with a two light setup, do I still need to use my red filters?

Use a red filter always - even with lights. the excess red can be color corrected in post later. A filter will give you clarity that is hard to get without one. Provided your red filter is not just a piece of glass/plastic with red tint - get a quality one.

Cheers
P

The difference is in taking your time in the editing process. I wish I had the time and motivation to edit my GP videos properly. So much can be done to correct brightness, white balance, color, etc. as long as your basic exposure is good. Also, the image stabilization on the GP 8 make using any kind of tray unnecessary.
Check out Micbergsma's channel on the youtubes.

I use a light with go pro mounts, no need for any intermediate stages. I got this for 2000 p ( $40US) at a mall in Cebu. can attach it to my selfie stick or to my float stick as needed.

20200215_093905.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom