New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

till isn't for us because it's thrust isn't significantly more.
The Blacktip is 57lbs (253N) Thrust, Sierra is 35lbs (156N). Thats 60% more, quite a lot in real terms. Unless you have new batteries in a Sierra you will probably feel an even bigger difference, as old batteries never perform well. The Blacktip with 12Ah batteries also has over 2x the battery capacity.

The Piranha has over 2x the thrust of a Sierra (73lbs (326N) and you can dive all day on 6 low cost battery modules if you have access to power as they change in 45min. But... its a whole different price point from a Blacktip.

Removing the nose is not simple at the end of the day. You really need some leverage to get that thing off,

The Blacktip "Tube" has a retention feature as its intended to stay installed unless you really need to remove it for travel etc. ie infrequently. The "Nose" the black cap on the end, should pop off relatively easily. If you are removing the tube, it would only do this unless you really needed to.

Well I used your suggestion of 2 pounds 8 ounces in the nose and for me that basically dropped the scoot to the bottom. I believe I am going to try and remove another pound and see how that does. Definitely want to get neutral. Mind you I went from a Gavin short body to this and the weight difference is AWESOME!!! Sometimes when shooting video I would stow my Gavin on my left like a tank (bolt snap in the front, clipped to left chest d-ring) and she would ride fine, I can see this is not going to be an option with the Blacktip. So I would like to see where you added the snap to the tail.Maybe a pic?
As for performance? I had a great time! It moves very well although took me a minute to get used to the slight delay on startup. Switching through gears was without issue, and I tested all the functions such as releasing the button in 5th gear, only allowing a couple seconds, and starting back up, still in 5th. Then releasing for longer and then hitting again being in gear 3. The display is a very nice feature. Removing the nose is not simple at the end of the day. You really need some leverage to get that thing off, but I certainly don't see that being an "issue". Once I iron a couple things out, I can see this being a great addition to my diving!

This is a picture of me with my BlackTip. https://dive-xtras.com/blacktip-dive-scooter/ You can see the clip off that I have on the shroud. As for the weight of the cap, that was 2.5lbs TOTAL weight for the cap, plate and shot. Not to add 2.5 pounds of shot into the lid. If you added 2.5 pounds of shot then that scooter would be way too negative.

This is a picture of me with my BlackTip. https://dive-xtras.com/blacktip-dive-scooter/ You can see the clip off that I have on the shroud. As for the weight of the cap, that was 2.5lbs TOTAL weight for the cap, plate and shot. Not to add 2.5 pounds of shot into the lid. If you added 2.5 pounds of shot then that scooter would be way too negative.
I most certainly understood that the entire cap was to be 2.5 pounds but thanks for ensuring I understood. Ill update here my change and results. Thanks for the pic, Ill take that route

The Blacktip is 57lbs (253N) Thrust, Sierra is 35lbs (156N). Thats 60% more, quite a lot in real terms. Unless you have new batteries in a Sierra you will probably feel an even bigger difference, as old batteries never perform well. The Blacktip with 12Ah batteries also has over 2x the battery capacity.

The Piranha has over 2x the thrust of a Sierra (73lbs (326N) and you can dive all day on 6 low cost battery modules if you have access to power as they change in 45min. But... its a whole different price point from a Blacktip.

Hi Ben, thanks for the reply

Let me say I can't fault our Sierras, they're nearly 10 years old (batteries have been rebuilt) and given few problems other than wear and tear from frequent use. Absolutely had our monies worth

Being pedantic the thrust you quoted for the blacktip was max boost where as standard is 45lbs - still 10 more than the Sierra accepted. But bank for buck upgrade doesn't make sense for us

I've looked at the P3 - only online - its equivalent to the RSin Price, thrust and weight (roughly) which is the category I'd be lookgn at

What made me hesitant was the nylon strap (I'm sure its secure and tested - but it freaks me) but mainly the logistics

If I understand correctly it requires 12 Batteries, and while you quote and ideal 45min charge, I dive in 30C waters, so realistically I'd need two sets to allow the first to cool down, so 24 batteries and 6? chargers per scooter all gets a bit unmanageable (in my head anyway) logistically.

Not sure of the total battery cost (in my region) but it seems comparable with a single large unit - although I appreciate the benefits all to well of being able to just buy a replacement power tool battery rather than rebuild a whole array

So in my case the jury is still out - aided by the fact I'd need to drop over $15k for 2 units plus batteries makes me slower than usual to raid my bank account :)

But I will be keeping abreast of all the developments

Doing some research on the backside and went looking for the 12.0 Ah battery. I keep seeing the 20V/60V battery and not a straight 20V. Right/wrong/indifferent?

Hi Diving Dubai, glad you are enjoying the Sierra, there are a lot of them still around.

You are correct, the P3 has 12 batteries, but its a modular scooter. The Piranha line is based on the principal that very few people need P3 performance every day, so they are better suited to a scooter that allows them to dive a small lightweight scooter for the bulk of their diving, and the on the few occasions that you need the huge run times you can ad the extra batteries and go. (its also designed to be an Airline, travel friendly scooter. You cant fly with a lot of the big lithium packs you find in other scooters)

If you are managing your diving somewhat with a Sierra now, are you really planning on doing multiple dives a day that are 6x the run time you do now? I would guess probably not. Ill let other users chime in, but there are hundreds of Piranha users doing multiple dives on a day, without resorting to a P3, or other cave orientated scooter. Lets say you were planning on increasing your scootering in a dive by 2x, then you would just take a P1 and a few spare batteries. (PTB modules are cheap) and enjoy the lightweight compact scooter. + you can take it on an airplane.

The boost mode is a mute point, its only in that mode at speeds where its uncomfortable to dive, so most people will have slowed down themselves by the time its even considered backing off the boost. The scooter thrust arms race was fun for a while, but how many divers out there are scootering around at max thrust all the time? CUDA and Piranha owners, what is the typical time you speed at speed 8? for me its only ever a few min.

I have a Piranha P2 but 98% of the time I run it as a P1. Same power and performance and more than enough burn time for an entire dive spent on the trigger. And on top of that its extremely small and light weight. Then, for my second or third dive I just drop in a fresh set of batteries. No time spent charging my scooter back up in order to do a second dive and no carrying around a massive scooter just to get the battery capacity to do three dives without recharging.

I most certainly understood that the entire cap was to be 2.5 pounds but thanks for ensuring I understood. Ill update here my change and results. Thanks for the pic, Ill take that route
Here is a pic of my Blacktip cap showing how much shot I use. I usually dive in British Columbia and it sits almost perfectly neutral. in the Puget sound it is just slightly negative. This is with the Dewalt DCB612 12ah batteries.

Attachments

• 20200123_181000.jpg
    20200123_181000.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 172
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom