Simple Startup Non-professional Photography Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm love photography but since I only just got back in the water haven't got a new camera yet, though I'm looking at the Olympus as well. Be aware that there are multiple housings on the market as it's a very popular choice, and prices vary dramatically. The Seafrogs housing (Olympus) is rated to 60m and you can find it online for $120-$180. Uno1 did a review here on SB: TG-5 with Seafrogs housing

Also consider one with video stabilization. It's really hard to hold a little camera steady. You can make your viewers seasick waving it around.

Image stabilization doesn't seem to work well underwater, due to several factors. This is also why GoPro 7 is better than GoPro 6 but the difference is more relevant for those who plan to use it out of the water. So if you want to save some money you can get a used GoPro 6 that for scuba is more or less equivalent to the most recent one

Believe the GoPro is 33 ft without a housing.
It is worth noting that even the GoPro Supersuit (which extend the range to 40m) is only $50.

I have seen quite a few people use the Sealife range of camera - waterproof to 60m without a housing. Not sure how the quality stacks up against a TG5/6 and housing though

I have seen quite a few people use the Sealife range of camera - waterproof to 60m without a housing. Not sure how the quality stacks up against a TG5/6 and housing though

SeaLife Micros do that. It also doesn't have anything to adjust: point, click, hope the auto white balance gets it right. It does OK: Rocket Frogs loaned me one when I flooded my DC1400, but I usually do better w/ a white slate.

Their current model: DC2000 is waterproof to a few metres and comes with the housing good to 60 or something. When, not if, you flood it, the camera inside has a good chance of surviving. It also comes with a big sensor (Sony RX IIRC). Their support is pretty much on par with Shearwater's. The cons are horrible lag when shooting RAW and lack of optical zoom.

+1 for the Olympus TG-6. Matched up with a small strobe (I got the Inon S-2000 for xmas) and the housing and you're in business. Here's a few shots from last week:

WHRgn8GdTLF7-m2NsQzl1fMtQFnq5cw4f6adxDgaqj_QcIDPgezZ0XkyyFK7sVRag2mfNRVWkGHKhwdEdQ=w1250-h937-no.jpg

hUKu0I_-YcGLkG8Zt6x2NkJIHNBFkAG5SzU20qpq_oJqQeW2nwwbL9iQzH-Oi7fWzEVyEasqwR9dKymLtE=w1250-h937-no.jpg

BEJUb4jg9PJ7Uplf8R2Zn70nFVHsrUw7sRip9TBriwHkhcRtk0i4kh9ZOWUnyHz0S0h1jSg0sPqmPVRv48=w1250-h937-no.jpg

pLthIkTP-gHySIz4X85hDPO6ZLEfVbgauUjXEgPzrWsXcXMTehcv0RfCxqnr-UMeWc4EhwIec1oOrVE660=w1250-h937-no.jpg

(Disclaimer: these are from our first forray into UW photography and all are wide angle. The camera does macro remarkably well, and I'm sure a more trained diver/photographer can get far better than these :D )

Nope. Android and PC here

Check out the Kraken underwater housing - it works for Android, iPhone, etc - as long as your smart phone fits within the dimensions, it works! My dive buddy uses one with his phone in place of a camera and loves it.
Also check out the Dive+ app - free and great for color correction. The casing does have a vacuum pump seal setup so you can make sure your housing is sealed pre-dive (because who wants to flood their phone).
Housings Archives - Kraken Sports

I personally use SeaLife cameras with lights/tray which may be a bit more than you want to spend, but the micro 2.0 is a decent little camera, really easy to learn to use, and it performs well - adding a light improves your results like with most cameras, but for shallower dives in sunny conditions you could skip the light and still get decent results. Additionally, the micro is permanently sealed so flooding isn't nearly as big of a concern.
The bigger cameras in that line are super nice but cost more and take more time to learn.
They do all have some degree of shutter lag so just keep that in mind if you go with them.

Those sealife cameras are hard to beat. There are cameras that will take higher quality photos (nikon, cannon, heck even sony). Sealife cameras are super easy to use, purpose built for diving (easy to operate even in gloves) and are fairly inexpensive. I bought a dc1400 once the new dc2000 model came out because everyone that upgraded sold the old ones super cheap.

I've also got a gopro hero 7 or 8 (can't remember). The gopro is nice for video but it sucks for still photos.

If you can get an older model cheap (unless the price of a new one doesn't put you off) then winner winner, chicken dinner. I think I spent about $250 for my dc1400 plus two strobes in 2018. That includes the "tray" and "arms" and all that other miscellaneous stuff you need. I think the dc2000 with two strobes sells new for around $1,200.00 in the States.

Whatever you choose for stills, you'll need a flash of some kind.

Both models of sealife camera do video but it's nothing to write home about.

The Sealife Micro is a good camera - and you can use it with just one light or none and still get decent pics. The housing is closed, so no worry of flooding it. It does stills and video. I know a lot of people like the GoPros - and that's what my husband uses - but it's really primarily for video. You can grab a frame as a pic though. So many good choices. You're only limited by how much you're willing to spend. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom