Using a GoPro camera for diving, give me some new ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12th Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For the past ten years I've been using my Go Pro with a red and pink filter for diving. Currently I have a GP 5 on an AquaPod mini hand held stick. The setup is simple to use underwater, easy to carry when I travel but I know there's better solutions. My wife and I were just in Belize for two weeks diving. On a shelf dive I was down 125' and my videos are just too dark at that depth. I've never added a light setup for the GP. Under 100' my GP does a great job.

I'm not looking to break the bank or come up with a camera rig with lights bars. I am just looking for something that's better than what I have and easy to dive with. What are some recommendations and cameras y'all are using?

Thanks in advanced!

Could continue to use your hand held stick but maybe mount a light to it. Doesn't have to be some elaborate, expensive light. You really just want something that has a decent flood pattern to it, as opposed to a spot pattern with only a 10-15 degree spread. I can't really comment on which light to use because I have a dedicated video light (3800 lumens) on an iDas tray system that I use, so although it's not all that complex, it's not quite as simple as you're looking for.

Alight similar to this one from Big Blue would probably suffice, although you may have to a bit closer to your subject to really light it up well.

1200-Lumen Extra-Wide Beam LED Dive LightSKU: AL1200XWP-II | Bigblue Dive Lights

Googled (mind out of the gutter!) and found this that actually would probably work perfect for what you're looking for and not overly expensive.

Home

Could continue to use your hand held stick but maybe mount a light to it. Doesn't have to be some elaborate, expensive light. You really just want something that has a decent flood pattern to it, as opposed to a spot pattern with only a 10-15 degree spread. I can't really comment on which light to use because I have a dedicated video light (3800 lumens) on an iDas tray system that I use, so although it's not all that complex, it's not quite as simple as you're looking for.

Alight similar to this one from Big Blue would probably suffice, although you may have to a bit closer to your subject to really light it up well.

1200-Lumen Extra-Wide Beam LED Dive LightSKU: AL1200XWP-II | Bigblue Dive Lights

Googled (mind out of the gutter!) and found this that actually would probably work perfect for what you're looking for and not overly expensive.

Home

Many thanks, that's a great idea for just adding to what I have.

First get a proper tray, you will see a huge improvement in your footage; with significantly less shake your footage will look much better.

If your budget allows it also consider getting a pair of lights. This will also drastically improve your footage. I use a very budget friendly setup using a cheap tray and video lights all off ebay. The whole setup (minus the gopro) costs around 150 Euro.

This is what it looks like:

LM2qquX.jpg

If you want to see the kind of footage that I am able to get with this setup, link below:

Adam Sant

I've been using that exact light with my GoPro for 2 years, does the job.

First get a proper tray, you will see a huge improvement in your footage; with significantly less shake your footage will look much better.

If your budget allows it also consider getting a pair of lights. This will also drastically improve your footage. I use a very budget friendly setup using a cheap tray and video lights all off ebay. The whole setup (minus the gopro) costs around 150 Euro.

This is what it looks like:

View attachment 563297

If you want to see the kind of footage that I am able to get with this setup, link below:

Adam Sant

Which light is that? Two lights + tray for less than 150EUR? :eek:
I've been robbed!! :no::shakehead:
P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom