First rebreather choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chest mount rebreathers

Here's another guy that utilises his brain and avails us of its progress

Andrew's got tons of experience in both rebreather diving and general fabrication.. The OP does not. I wouldn't offer home-building a chest mount rebreather to a diver who has never been on the loop before.

Found out there is even more to rebreather diving then i thought, reading these comments :D.

I'm not diving self fabricated ccr's and i think i never will.

Since renting a unit is more expensive then buying a unit and selling after, i think that's the course i'll take. Renting a unit doesn't seem cheap over here.
I know a few persons who can help me purchase one, to see if it's a decent unit.
But first i'm going to try and get a good intro, from building up the ccr to diving it and then clean it. So i get a little bit more knowledge about how a ccr works.

Thanks for the advice so far.

All ccr's have pro and cons. I own an Inspiration (am instructor on it) and a Sidekick. I also have user certs for: SF2, Kiss (have dived Classic and Sidekick, got a cert for all Kiss-unites, so also for the Sidewinder, but haven't dived it yet), Inspiration, Meglodon, JJ, Poseidon, Hollis Prism2 and XCCR.
Some I prefer more than others of course, it is like buying a car. With my inspiration on a Alu-box and the sidekick as primary for some caves or BO ccr for other caves, I can do almost all dives, better say: I never felt limited on dives I did till now. The inspiration worked on dives till 135m and on cavedives of 4-5 hours. Have used the Sidekick till 60m in caves. I only never did cavedives with only the Sidekick as BO ccr, I have to modify some things and don't know if I ever trust only an extra ccr.

Since I have seen 2 divers with IPE (and both survived), I would absolutely choose for a ccr with a low wob if you want to do deep dives.

I also do not like BOV's, too heavy in your mouth, especially when using a scooter.

Another point in Europe is the CE. Yes, you can dive without CE and insurance don't make problems. But forget it to get on boatdives in France. They want you to dive a CE unit. Same in Miltitz mine.

How can you have a cert for a rebreather you've never dove?

How can you have a cert for a rebreather you've never dove?
That is easy, I have a 'KISS mCCR' cert, and KISS has several types, but all 'KISS'. Maybe I wrote it a little bit strange, but the Sidewinder is the version from KISS I haven't dived.
I own an Vision/EXP, but never dove an Evolution till I borrowed one abroad. The cert states 'Inspiration eCCR'. My 'Poseidon' cert is also valid for MK6 and SE7EN, but I did the course on a MK6 (VI).

The sidewinder and spirit with their split scrubbers are a bit different than the classic. I'm really surprised that KISS has a generic catch-all cert, my classic cert is very clear it's for the classic.

The sidewinder and spirit with their split scrubbers are a bit different than the classic. I'm really surprised that KISS has a generic catch-all cert, my classic cert is very clear it's for the classic.
Mines not, it states 'KISS mCCR'. Or just 'KISS', I don't know it by head. I know the difference between the types, have seen the Sidekick, but till now never dived. I got my KISS cert on the Sidekick.

At 50 hrs I was just discovering how little I really knew about rebreathers :wink:

That is very much true with me too. But at 50 hours the initial frustration had changed to enjoying diving again...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom