Simple Startup Non-professional Photography Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritaMike

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In the eary 1990's I took photos of just about everything underwater. I had stacks of developed pictures to the point of I didn't have any more room to keep them. Albums were costly and bulky. So, I started being very selective of what I shot. The number of developed photos became fewer and fewer until I just quit carrying the camera. Eventually, I sold and gave away all of my photography equipment and just committed myself to enjoying the dive with my buddy (my wife). The first one who wanted to dive. In 2001 Tropical Storm Allison deposited 5'9" of water in my home and every photo of anything was gone.

Fast forward 18 years. During those 18 years my dive buddy had some vision changes and 4 shoulder surgeries resulting in a major loss of confidence under water to the point of hanging up her fins. I now find my self going on dive trips alone. There have been a few sights underwater that I would still like to share with her and she is interested in what I see. So....

Here is the question. I'm looking for something simple, which I can carry for those moments that I see something sharable. Can someone please suggest something that is Simple Non-professional Photography Equipment that I can take alone to use or not use on a given dive that won't necessarily break the bank? I see a lot of GoPros but I know NOTHING about them. I take photos with my phone and not many of them.

Last year I pretty much re-rigged myself going from a BCD, which I still have and like, to a Freedom Plate and harness, so I don't want to spend a fortune. When I decide to sell one of my rigs I may put more money into camera gear.

That's probably more info than you need but I felt the back-story would help define my needs.

Cheers and thanks in advance - M²

If you want video, a gopro 7 black is awesome. Even without a light you will get acceptable results.
For stills underwater it does not compare to a real camera.
I have a Sealife set up but with strobes, that is more than you are likely to want to spend.
I agree with aviator8, Olympus tg are absolutely excellent in the absence of strobes.

If I ever get back into image taking of any kind underwater to show people I would go with video. Still shots are great and I still have all my Nikonos stuff which I haven’t used in years with filing cabinets full of U/W slides I haven’t looked at in years.
Just like you I commit the visual experience to memory now and move on to the next one.
But a little video that can be shared with someone or perhaps put up on social media for others to enjoy could be a simple easy thing to do. Seeing everything moving is kinda cool.

I love my little $130 Intova Nova. Size of my hand, built into the housing, big buttons on the outside (great for dry gloves). and good battery life. I’ve gotten some great pics with it.

Too bad Intova is no longer in business.

I'll throw a vote in for going with video. Unless you need still pics for a book or magazine production, video is more interesting to share with friends.

If you do decide to go with video. GoPro is the gold standard for action cameras, but you can get GoPro clones for very low cost. Just have to do your research and read online reviews. Also consider one with video stabilization. It's really hard to hold a little camera steady. You can make your viewers seasick waving it around.

Decide on stills vs video. Your past seems to be very happy with stills.

Once you decide, then decide on "how big". Small & Simple seems to be the answer.

So stick with something that you can jam in your BCD (or equivalent) pocket. No tray, no strobes, nothing extra. Go minimal. Maybe think used?

I have carried an out-dated housed Canon elph? something for years in my BCD pocket as a backup camera. Small compact, internal flash only. It takes awesome happy snaps. I have used it exactly once...and it delivered.

After the first response I started pricing the TG-6 and discovered that I need the housing to go deeper than 50', which I do often. Looks like about $600 to get into it. Not bad. Cheaper than last year! :rofl3: @Eric Sedletzky - I love my FP and I had 3 people offer to buy it off my back.

My question now is how is the video on the TG-6? I think I read somewhere that it does videos. Anyone have input?

Next question: How deep can a GoPro go without a special housing? Anyone?

Thanks for the input so far.

Cheers - M²

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom