New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, I have the 12ah bat trees and intend to dive tonight. Has anyone needed to add shot to the nose for this configuration? If so how much?

Thanks, all set. Maiden voyage this evening

Just one thing sorta bugs me about this new BlackTip DPV...

The BlackTip is list price $1500 USD.

The 'power slice', a.k.a. 'power tool battery' for the Piranna is list price $1279 USD.

Is Dive Xtras really implying that a motor, shroud, trigger and prop only cost $221 USD? Really?

When the 'slice' first came out it was $1000USD. I didn't have the cash then plus my P1 battery (the original 'old' LiON pack) was almost brand new, so I didn't jump at it. I'd love a "for all you long-time P1 owners..." special price. <hint><hint><hint> :-D

I plan to attach no fewer than 6 compasses all roughly the size of a baby's head all the way around the tube using several tubes of Aquaseal. Can you please post a graph detailing how that might affect runtime and trim? :wink:

Looks like a very cool new scooter, Ben.

Hmm I smell a specialty card

The 'power slice', a.k.a. 'power tool battery' for the Piranna is list price $1279 USD.

Is Dive Xtras really implying that a motor, shroud, trigger and prop only cost $221 USD? Really?

There is a big price difference between the $8,000 Piranha and the $1,500 Blacktip. The Battery module for a Piranha is nearly the cost of a Blacktip scooter but you are comparing apples and oranges. You could complain that the door panel of a Lamborghini costs almost a much as a new Kia sedan and it would mean about the same thing.

When the 'slice' first came out it was $1000USD. I didn't have the cash then plus my P1 battery (the original 'old' LiON pack) was almost brand new, so I didn't jump at it. I'd love a "for all you long-time P1 owners..." special price. <hint><hint><hint> :-D

The battery module for the Piranha is expensive to produce when you consider the machining of the aluminum billet needed to manufacture the aluminum hull section and sealing glands to very tight tolerances. And then you have the electronics that go in it.

You probably noticed the BlackTip uses a PVC hull and a molded polymer tail section with a direct drive motor and a polymer hubbed variant of the X-prop. The ESC is also simpler. Those are all things that were done to reduce the production cost as much as possible without compromising performance too much.

But it is not a Piranha. The BlackTip is not quite as fast, doesn't have the 600' depth rating, doesn't offer the same user programmable ESC, and doesn't have the modular expansion capability. However at an MSRP of just $1500 it offers outstanding performance for the money and still has serious DPV performance in terms of speed, range and depth capability (300' rated depth with a 100% safety margin to the 600' crush depth). It also has some nifty features not found on the stock Piranha, such as the gear indicator and battery gauge.

@DA Aquamaster

Really enjoyed reading your informed posts based on actual experience on the Unit.

I'm a Sierra owner (as is my wife and 4 other diving friends) The're all getting long in the tooth, especially batteries. The Tech being pushed by Dive X is certainly interesting, The Black tip while tempting price wise, still isn't for us because it's thrust isn't significantly more. We Single tank dive (with AL 40 ponies) but in significant current - I've gone backwards at max thrust before now.

Having tried one, my current contender is the Reference RS - but its significantly more expensive (especially when you need to buy 2!) and there is still the old battery charging thing, where we're on a weekend charter on 3 dives per day, so even with the Bonex a charge between dives 2 & 3 would be required to ensure you have adequate charge - but because its a top off you can never be sure.

Yes I could carry 2 batteries per DPV ($1200 each) - I already carry 3 per Sierra and it's an ache

Hopefully well see another higher power model in the range soon. I hope however they consider a variable speed control, because its a real pain when you're on off the triggers as each of the DPV and divers (even on teh same gear) have slightly differing speeds (battery power, drag differences etc

Keep on posting you experiences though as I often get asked for advice for people wanting a DPV on less demanding dives

Cool to see you got one of these Rick, how did you like it?
Well I used your suggestion of 2 pounds 8 ounces in the nose and for me that basically dropped the scoot to the bottom. I believe I am going to try and remove another pound and see how that does. Definitely want to get neutral. Mind you I went from a Gavin short body to this and the weight difference is AWESOME!!! Sometimes when shooting video I would stow my Gavin on my left like a tank (bolt snap in the front, clipped to left chest d-ring) and she would ride fine, I can see this is not going to be an option with the Blacktip. So I would like to see where you added the snap to the tail.Maybe a pic?
As for performance? I had a great time! It moves very well although took me a minute to get used to the slight delay on startup. Switching through gears was without issue, and I tested all the functions such as releasing the button in 5th gear, only allowing a couple seconds, and starting back up, still in 5th. Then releasing for longer and then hitting again being in gear 3. The display is a very nice feature. Removing the nose is not simple at the end of the day. You really need some leverage to get that thing off, but I certainly don't see that being an "issue". Once I iron a couple things out, I can see this being a great addition to my diving!

Back
Top Bottom