Has anyone here bought property in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danam404

Registered
Reaction score
Wife & I absolutely love the island. Are there any expats on here who have purchased a home or condo on Bonaire? Would love to pick your brain! Reply, PM, or orange4@gmail.com ... thanks!

I have not but I know of a few here who have (but can’t speak for them obviously). There is a forum called “Bonaire talk” that if you search/google will probably have quite a bit of info that you may be looking for. Good luck!

Thanks! I did find that forum but it didn't look like there was much activity at all. I should probably comb it for the info I am looking for though.. good call.

No problem! It has the most info I have ever been able to track down on the subject but I’m not on Facebook (but if you are you should try there as well!).

Would love to join you/all of the others; even already have a business idea in mind, I just don’t think that dream will ever come true. Maybe next (life)time.

Most, not all Caribbean countries will not allow a foreigner to own property in that country. The way around it is to create a corporation which can be owned by an expat, and this corporation actually owns the property. When you go to sell, you basically sell the corporation and the assets within, hence the property. This is what we had to do in Roatan...pretty easy process.

We met Susan Porter, author of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy. Her experience is that a lot of people just can't live on Bonaire. Just not enough variety of activities to keep them occupied. Susan's rule of thumb was if someone could last a year, then they had a 50-50 shot of living there on an extended basis.

As with any move to another country, best advice is to rent a place for 6 months and see how it goes before making a long term decision.

6 months should be minimum before a purchase

Back
Top Bottom