First rebreather choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they are following TDI standards that statement is not true. I can't speak for other agencies but I can speak for at least 2 manufacturers guidelines that also require dil flush, open loop, and other survival skills to be taught in addition to bailout.

Just took GUE CCR1 recently. It's essentially a MOD1 course. There's a certain amount of "if in doubt, bailout" involved, but we also learned how to get back on the loop after flood recovery, how to fix a hypoxic or hyperoxic loop, troubleshoot runway ADV/O2 addition, validating sensors with dil flush, etc. SCR mode wasn't covered, but we learned several problem solving tools beyond simply bailing out.

that's how most Mod 1 courses are taught anyway, even on "real" rebreathers. "when in doubt, bailout" and it's not until mod2/3 or cave training that you actually learn how to stay on the unit when things get weird.

Dunno. I did Mod 1 for the JJ through TDI, and I definitely learned how to do a dil flush in that class...

Just took GUE CCR1 recently. It's essentially a MOD1 course. There's a certain amount of "if in doubt, bailout" involved, but we also learned how to get back on the loop after flood recovery, how to fix a hypoxic or hyperoxic loop, troubleshoot runway ADV/O2 addition, validating sensors with dil flush, etc. SCR mode wasn't covered, but we learned several problem solving tools beyond simply bailing out.
Actually SCR mode is a moot skill if you subscribe to theory you can only mitigate one major failure before you end the dive, which is pretty universal in the tech community. The only scenario where SCR is a required skill is if you failed to carry sufficient bailout which is more a planning failure than a dive failure. On extended range (below 200ft) and cave diving adding life saving skills to your tool box can be important but I don't feel SCR should be an entry level skill. Keep it simple Hick's law - Wikipedia

Agreed. There's no place for it in a first rebreather class. I think it's introduced in the cave CCR class as an option for certain specific scenarios.

The good news is that most are user error. The bad news is that I used the word most...
It was one of the first modern rebreathers with a lot of automation and very little safeguards which resulted in bad diving practices that still continue around some instructors, but it's not a bad unit.
YBOD is a nickname that translates to Yellow Box of Death.

Or,more appropriately, yellow box of debt!

What they are NOT good at is comparing several similar units.
that's how most Mod 1 courses are taught anyway, even on "real" rebreathers. "when in doubt, bailout" and it's not until mod2/3 or cave training that you actually learn how to stay on the unit when things get weird.

IANTD and TDI instructors on the Meg teach dill flush, semi closed mode and open loop, with bailouts being recommended, at least here in Eu.

I've found the more intrepid that permit themselves various freedoms seem to populate Europe
where individuals have a selection of commercial sets, and are adept enough to build their own
whereby they dive on their merry way enjoying the silent world, self qualified without instruction

full.jpg

like this compact homebuilt carry on

Magnificent!

The depths are your only limit

IANTD and TDI instructors on the Meg teach dill flush, semi closed mode and open loop, with bailouts being recommended, at least here in Eu.

looking at TDI standards, dil flush is required, but SCR/Open Loop are not mentioned in the standards. There is a blurb about any additional skills required by the manufacturer so Leon must have added those *good additions*. I don't know how they get around the Dil Flush in BAD DAS with the Se7en, but it is an approved rebreather.

SCR really is only useful if you don't have enough bailout, right? Otherwise, if you run out of O2 or have a total electronics failure, you just bail out. So not really a natural part of Mod 1.

I can see why open loop might be a good thing to know about. Really, it's a way of using your ADV as a BOV if you don't have one, right? So if you only had a necklaced second stage on your deep bailout, and you were having too much of a CO2 hit to swap mouthpieces, it would be a good way to take a sanity breath or two from your dil and then switch. Not a bad thing to teach even mod 1 students who have DSVs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom