Truth Aquatics suspending operations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read almost everything regarding this accident. A few of the earliest articles claimed the first 4 bodies that were recovered were recovered off the sea floor and all appeared to have drown. This leads me to think that possibly some were able to get off or close to off the vessel and then drown. I was disappointed in the fact that autopsies weren't conducted.

The first paragraph was a quote from a news article. Check through the closed Conception thread in A&I, I believe that’s where I found it.

It was thought that the bodies came out of the boat when it sank, which may also be in that article.

Bob

There will have to be an exit out of the bunkroom directly to the outside on those boats, and the walls need to be fire barriers. That’s the only chance anybody would ever be able to get out. Having two exits coming out into another room doesn’t cut it.
Eliminating double bunks doesn’t do a damn thing either because nobody would’ve been able to get out. If there were only two people down there they still wouldn’t have gotten out. The basic design and layout is flawed.

The new Peace dive boat "manifest" (found on Channel Island Dive Adventure's website) clarifies my statement above:

Peace-New rules as of Oct. 1, 2019

In the wake of the Conception tragedy there are now important changes for all the dive boats. The USCG is taking this very seriously requiring every commercial vessel to complete an additional inspection of watch keeping procedures, crew training, firefighting equipment, emergency lighting and bunkroom escape hatch.

The Peace is in full compliance of current Coast Guard regulations and will continue to work with the Coast Guard to implement any and all new regulations that they require.

Below are some of the major safety features that we currently have on board:

1. 7 portable fire extinguishers on board that are inspected annually.
  2. We have a fixed halon firefighting system in our engine room that is automatically triggered by heat and there is also a manual pull to extinguish a fire.
  3. Two smoke alarms in the bunk room that are tested regularly.
  4. We have a heat sensor in the galley that is wired to a wheelhouse alarm in case of fire.
  5. Inflatable life raft for up to 50 passengers. That is activated by manual pull or a hydrostatic release at 3 foot of depth.
  6. Satellite EPIRB that gives our current GPS position that is activated if submerged or can also be manually activated in the event deemed necessary.
  7. Our bunk room is equipped with an escape hatch above bunks 8/10 in the forward middle bunk room as well as the 2 common stairwells that access the bunkroom from the back of the galley and back deck.
  8. Life jackets for 50.
  9. Three saltwater hoses in case of fire.
  10. For emergency assistance and communication with the Coast Guard we have a DSC radio calling button (similar to an automatic 911 call) that will send out an alert that we need assistance along with our GPS position along with that we have our typical means of communication via VHF Radio channel 16 for that is monitored continuously by the Coast Guard and is the typical emergency assistance channel.
  11. Our crew is most experienced and highly trained crew in California and likely the industry. They are great at what they do and want to make sure that you feel safe and comfortable. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to speak with any of our crew. If you have questions of concerns prior to your trip please feel free to call me directly or if I am out to sea, you may contact Angie at the office.
  12. Our boat has an annual safety inspection performed by the USCG (Coast Guard) that makes sure all of our safety equipment is working and current on our inspections and certifications.
No one knows what changes the United States Coast Guard will be making after the investigations but we are implementing some proactive changes starting immediately. Please be aware that more changes are likely to come and we will alert you of these as things move forward.

The changes made will AFFECT EVERYONE. PLEASE READ before signing up for a trip on the Peace.
  1. No one is allowed to charge any batteries or electronic devices overnight (during the hours of 8 pm-6 am). This includes, but is not limited to batteries, electronic devices, laptops, cell phones, lights, cameras and photography equipment. Our charging station will be turned off between the hours of 8 pm and 6 am. Make sure all batteries and devices are charged prior to boarding the boat and put into airplane mode when not in use. We have other outlets on the boat in the galley and these can be used between the hours of 6am-8pm as long as they are unplugged during the night time hours. The outlets in the bunkroom are not to be used to charge any device at any time whatsoever. The only acceptable use of an outlet in the bunkroom is for medical devices, such as CPAP machines.
  2. We have made a big change to our boarding procedures and are no longer allowing any passengers on board prior to 8 pm for trips that depart between 9 pm – 5 am and for the trips that depart at 7am on boarding will be at 6am. We know that in the past we have allowed people to board the boat early and to sleep on board, but due to the recent events we have decided that this is a necessary change for safety. This means if a passenger shows up earlier than the 8 pm or 6 am boarding time the galley doors will be locked until our crew member is there to open up the boat and help the passengers sign in and get settled. A crew member or “roving patrol” will be on deck or in the galley at all times while at dock, anchored or underway. We have hired an additional crew member to help at the dock so hopefully all passengers will feel safe and comfortable.
  3. According to the USCG to ease passenger egress in case of an emergency they will be lowering the maximum on overnights and people sleeping on the boat at dock to 22 passengers. There can still be more people on the boat for a day trip but people wishing to sleep on the boat the night before WILL BE limited to 22.

Bold statements are from the original, not my emphasis.

When I heard of this tragedy and saw the floor plan, I thought the Peace was much better situated since the two main stairwells from below exit around 5 ft or so from either side of the entrance to the salon. I'm pretty sure all below-deck passengers could use either stairwell in emergency, as the center bunk dividers are removable. It would seem easy enough to make them so, if they aren't now.

I don't recall those forward escape hatches, described as being in the forward middle bunk room, unless they are new or exit behind the kitchen counter. Either way they would seem to dump into the salon, so it's hard to see they add much benefit if fire at the salon entrance were to be the impediment. The apparent elimination of the side double berthing seems to add little in the way of real safety, and will cut down capacity considerably.

The trips I've taken on Peace have all left middle of the night, so if I understand their statement the 8PM gate opening wouldn't appear to alter procedure for that type of trip much.

I've been up in the salon of the Peace many times in the middle of the night, and run into people awake or sleeping there to escape the heat or confinement of the bunk room, using the heads, or smoking/drinking/talking on the rear deck. The times I've lingered there at all mid-night, there was a steady enough tick of folks coming and going, including crew. That's why it's been so hard to understand how not one person caught the fire in time to raise the alarm. Maybe a minimum contingent of old dudes should be requisite for any trip.

It's a strange feeling to check the TA website, where the only difference with one year ago seems to be the disappearance of one of the boats from the different write-ups (there are still mentions our hints of the Conception here and there).
As if nothing happened...
That seems like an odd take on things, after the emotional reaction of the company owner and family after the tragedy.

My LDS received a letter from Glen at TA yesterday stating their October trip was cancelled due to COVID-19. It mentioned that they were appealing the coast guard ruling of no more double bunks stemming from the fire but gave COVID as the reason for the cancellation. They were hoping to reopen after COVID.

Then there is this article came out today. Criminal charges loom in California boat fire that killed 34

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom