Apollo AV / Oceanic Mako DPVs - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AustinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A lot of my diving is off the NC coast for meg teeth, and I have been considering a scooter to aide in digging, it seems the guys with scooters end up with a better haul of teeth every time we go out.

I don't need a $3,000+ scooter that can carry me deep into caves or run for hours, just need to blow some sand around.

Keeping an eye out for a cheap Apollo AV1/AV2 or Oceanic Mako (solely because that is what I have mostly seen on the boats) - are parts still readily available for these and are there companies that service them? I don't want to put money into something obsolete. Also, anything to look for when buying used/older?

...Keeping an eye out for a cheap Apollo AV1..... are parts still readily available for these and are there companies that service them? I don't want to put money into something obsolete. ...
I'm speaking only about the AV1. This scooter is about a decade old and is loved because it is very simple to work on and provides strong performance. The bad part is critical parts on it like contact brushes and switches are almost impossible to find and other parts are horded. If you buy the AV1 used and it breaks, your investment might be toast. Even the silicone gasket is $40 each!. There is one person in WPB at ForceE that is working on AV1's but again it's parts availability.

Lately I've heard very good things about the similar sized Tusa scooter from a runtime to cost ratio and almost impossible to damage.

Lately I've heard very good things about the similar sized Tusa scooter from a runtime to cost ratio and almost impossible to damage.

Is the Tusa scooter the same as the AV2?

Is the Tusa scooter the same as the AV2?
With so much of today's technology and individual builds, it's impossible to compare 2 DPV against each other. The Tusa and AV2 may look similar but insides differ in batteries, motors and on & on. Instead of looking at confusing DPV specs, I would look at in reverse. Write down what your dive day typically is. Mine is 3 tanks at 100ft deep for 40 minutes each and I would be on the trigger for 60% of the dive. Now do that for your dive day and see how long your "On Trigger" time is, how far and fast to cover that distance and then how long the battery will last for that.

Some scooters will last double or triple that amount needed, but will cost $5000 also. Likewise a tiny snorkeling scooter will still do the job at $800, but you'll need to bring 3 batteries to change each dive. It will take some research to see what fits your budget. DPV's are not cheap and they ALL BREAK !!

I have an AV-1 Apollo and AV-2 TUSA that I will sell, both have spare batteries. Best to contact me at 910 455 1116, if you're interested. The AV-2 is the second generation scooter and most parts are not interchangeable and is 24V where the AV-1 is 12V. The TUSA AV-2 is not the same as a Apollo AV-2, though they were both made by Apollo. The AV-1's have been around since the early 90's and were first sold as DACOR SV900's. I prefer the MAKO's but would not recommend them over an Apollo because of parts availability.
For serious tooth hunting, a good scooter is a necessary tool now, as the days of picking up bags off the bottom are pretty much over.

I have an AV-1 Apollo and AV-2 TUSA that I will sell, both have spare batteries. Best to contact me at 910 455 1116, if you're interested. The AV-2 is the second generation scooter and most parts are not interchangeable and is 24V where the AV-1 is 12V. The TUSA AV-2 is not the same as a Apollo AV-2, though they were both made by Apollo. The AV-1's have been around since the early 90's and were first sold as DACOR SV900's. I prefer the MAKO's but would not recommend them over an Apollo because of parts availability.
For serious tooth hunting, a good scooter is a necessary tool now, as the days of picking up bags off the bottom are pretty much over.

Thanks for the tips. 910 - you are in wilmington area? Maybe I can pick one of those up next time I am down there. Will touch base with you.

Yes you can still get parts for the av-1. I bought one this year for $800 and it paid that back in about one dive trip. The guy that runs possioden dive adventures has an amazon store that sells parts. I rigged mine up with lithium ion batteries and it is great.

We dove Makos for years and I liked them well enough at the time. At 53 pounds they are heavy. The hulls are also fragile and prone to leaks, especially when hauled on and off boats. Sand will get past the first o-ring and eat at the soft plastic sealing surfaces and you'll be looking for a replacement mid body or nose cone fairly soon.

Battery life is 45-60 minutes depending on prop pitch and batteries are time consuming to change ands time consuming to recharge.. Also, if you run one hard at max pitch continuously and it's one of the higher RPM motor winds, you'll overheat the battery and the case will sag. You'll then discover the scooter won't seal on the next dive and you'll be dealing with a significant leak or flood. Wiring can also get hot in them on the faster motors. Motor winds varied from around 750 rpm on average to as low as 600 rpm in production Makos and you'll find some of the rebuilt Makos will have 900 rpm or 1000 rpm motors in them.

Props, hubs and a fair amount of parts are still available for Oceanic motor and cowl based scooters through Dive Xtras, but many of the other Mako specific parts (tails, mid bodies, nose cones, etc) are only available as used parts cannibalized from other Makos.

The Apollo based scooters share many of the same faults as the Mako, just in a slightly smaller package and with the advantage that they are still in production. But at $3800 for a new one, you can get a lot more DPV for a lot less money.

------

The Dive Xtras BlackTip is 22.2 pounds weighted for fresh water and 22.8 pounds in sea water. It'll offer Mako run times but with a lot more thrust and speed, and it'll do it on 9 Ah power tool batteries. A pair of Waitley 9Ah batteries will cost you around $140, and with 2 sets and $280 invested you'll be set for any 2 tank NC dive, wreck or meg ledge.

BlackTip-Comparison-2020.01.09-1.png

The hull is a tube and much more durable. I'll take knocks and dings in stride that would ruin the hull or sealing surfaces on Mako or Apollo and it's depth rated to 300 feet, with a 100% margin over it's 600 foot crush depth.

The BlackTip is also only $1,499.95. I can discount that by 10% and throw in a cradle, and I'll have another one in stock on Monday.

I'm in Winterville NC. Send me a PM or message me on Facebook and we can arrange a demo, either in open water or in a pool.

Karst Scuba

blacktip flame 2.jpg
blacktip flame 1.jpg
blacktips in cradles.jpg

As an aside, etiquette matters on a meg ledge as some boat captains are not real scooter friendly. Divers using a scooter to dig can screw up the viz for other divers. As you have noted, digging with a scooter can cause other divers to feel disappointed when they bring up a whole bag of teeth rather than just a few and if taken to extreme that perception of not doing well with just a few teeth can cut into the boat's repeat business.

Do your digging down current, try not to show off too much, and don't be a burden on the boat crew. A 22 pound BlackTip will be much better received than 53 pound Mako when you ask a mate to lift it aboard.

hi guys

can anyone tell me if the oceanic mako and apollo AV1 use the same propeller? if so, what is the rough diameter of it? Last one haha, what is the diameter of the blacktip propeller? essentially wondering if the mako/av1 propeller will fit in a blacktip shroud

thanks in advance!
thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom