Weighting system and lift for cold water compatible BP/W.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry, I misspoke, I meant is it so bad to take the wing that has 6lbs more for those time with a thick wetsuit knowing that I'm not to the level where perfect streamlining is extremely important.
Based on the earlier thread, axluba is trying to figure out whether to get a 30 or 36 pound wing. I suggested 36 due to the very thick wetsuit. I'm also the one who pointed out the possible issue of non-ditchable weight, because his(?) original plan was to have most of it attached to pouches on the plate and cambands. But I've never dived wet in cold water, so suggested he look for additional input.

'm not to the level where perfect streamlining is extremely important
Imnsho, "perfect streamlining" is less important than good and reliable buoyancy. Perhaps (but not very probably) except for the really, really great divers. Of which there are a lot fewer than we like to believe. I know I'm not one of them.

I spent some time on the Optimal Buoyancy Computer (stuck to the quick result as most of my gear is rental and varies) and I decided on the following:
- 17L/37lbs wing (still hesitating between the cool color in 1000 deniers or the black in 2000 deniers outer shell).
- AL backplate with continuous webbing
- large ditchable weight pockets.
- backplate trim weight pockets.

Thanks to everybody that answered! I’ll be placing my order tomorrow, I’m very excited!

Just need to flip a coin regarding the wing material.

still hesitating between the cool color in 1000 deniers or the black in 2000 deniers outer shell
2000 denier is more durable than 1000 denier given the same fiber composition. It's also twice as heavy.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, on the wing it’s 0.66 lbs difference.
Kinda tempting to get twice the strength... but is it actually useful. I find it hard to choose get “less” for almost the same price :D
Yes I’m weak

on the wing it’s 0.66 lbs difference.
Wow. That's... a lot. Or perhaps not. Particularly considering that my rig is some 30-40 kg. :D

300 grams is a lot? Raaaa i dont knooow :confused:

I’ve also been advised to look towards weight belts for ditchable weights. It’s actually an interesting option!

10minutes and all my certainties are gone:D

I’ve also been advised to look towards weight belts for ditchable weights. It’s actually an interesting option!
Since I got myself a new winter undersuit, I've also gotten myself a summer undersuit. Because the new winter undersuit is even warmer and even more buoyant than the previous one.

Because of that, I've split my ditchable weight between my belt (primary location, since I want some kind of balance between my weighting and my suit's buoyancy) and my weight pockets (more easily adjusted).

If your exposure protection is kinda buoyant, you might want to look into carrying some of your required weight on your body, i.e. on a belt. Just a suggestion to consider, mind you. We all see things differently and what works perfectly for me might not work for you.

That’s actually what I am currently considering. Small weight pockets + a belt. AND the Optimal buoyancy computer talks also about partial ditching... which 1st, makes sense... (depending on what I need it might avoid me to cork) and second, fits quite well with that configuration

just a FYI for everybody who helped: I initiated my order tonight I'll give a feedback when I get the gear.

went for a 17l 2000 deniers, AL backplate, small ditchable pockets, trim pockets

Back
Top Bottom