Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't had a leak in my 720s nor my 379s, but the extra grip and abrasion resistance were the selling points for me. Merry accidentally cut her 720 with her knife while holding some monofilament line and her camera. That's the only leak she's had. It's nice to know that my backup gloves are very good.

0A390F88-A5B7-48A8-BF56-F497FDF467B5.jpeg
just came in the mail, great minds.....

I tried mine on today, i would agree on the sizing, fingers are a bit longer than the 720, at least in size 11. But overall still too small, for my insulation. Guess ill stick with the nsk24 until something else comes along. The are holding up well, and dry.

Seajay, what did you think of the 282's?

Yeah, good segue...

I dove the 282's today during a pretty gnarly mud dive, plugging a culvert pipe for the State of SC.

I liked them a lot. I was surprised how well they held up. They're so thin - I fully expected to tear them up right away.

One thing that's amazing about them is the sheer dexterity of the glove. Tactile feel is near-latex levels, yet they're warm and soft and very durable apparently. The fit on these gloves is outstanding, if not a little loose... I was shocked at how roomy they felt, even though I was wearing the same size as I always do. Roomy in a good way. They're really flexible and warm.

I thought I was going to have a serious problem getting them on the rings: They're short and stubby and appear to not have much stretch to them compared to nitrile. I couldn't have been more wrong - they were probably the easiest to install yet... And the seam around the wrist, which I thought was going to be an issue during installation, does a nice job of "locking" itself inside the glove against the ring once pulled taut. In that position, they seem no shorter than the 720s and Ansell 58-735s.

They were dry as a bone.

Photos of me today doing the plug installation. No issues whatsoever - and the interior "fur" of the glove is surprisingly warm and cushy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I know, they are so comfy. I hated taking them off my rings. I'm curious to see how they hold up for you. I'm wondering if some of the dampness I found was due to condensation, I'm looking forward to your experience.

Thanks buddy! :D

If memory serves, you were using the 281s, which are the non-furry version of the 282... I am testing the 282s, which by default should have less condensation than the 281s. I didn't notice any dampness at all in the 282s yesterday, but I only had them on for an hour or so... Maybe an hour and a half... And only about 30 minutes of that was submerged.

Tomorrow's job entails a whole bunch of barnacle-busting for about four hours. It'll be a good test. I'll keep you posted.

For what it's worth, installing the 282s I thought would be tricky - or wonky - due to the furry lining. It wasn't at all. No problems whatsoever. In fact, the polyurethane material is so thin and flexible that it was actually EASIER to install them than 720s. That said - while I can install the 720s and then pull the glove around the ring a little to adjust the length, the same thing was not possible with the 282s. Even though my black o-ring was lubed well, I could not pull the 282s around to adjust for length... So to adjust, I'd have to set the ring down and unseat the glove a little and put it back on adjusted right.

...In other words, easier to install, and harder to adjust than the 720s... Probably due to the furry lining preventing the o-ring from sliding.

All that said, I feel like the 282s are more "locked" on the ring than any other glove I've installed to this point. In addition, the wrist seam along the bottom of the 282s provides an edge that catches on the ring as well... There's no way those gloves will ever come off except on purpose. :D

After basically four years and 95 freakin' pages of this awesome discussion, I think I'm going to finally break the thread off into another... This one specific about drygloves, rather than specific about rings with a lot of notes about drygloves.

Y'all cool with that? I'll post a link later. Hopefully we'll keep all of us contributors and testers on both threads.

I had the 282's as well, I really liked the fuzzy inside, and had some thin liners at the time that fit in nicely. I agree, super easy to install. I didn't like pulling on them to adjust, was afraid I would compromise them.

Right? That's how thin they are... Dare I say "paper thin." They feel very much like they're made of paper, which is not confidence-inspiring at all.

Nonetheless, they seem to be doing fine - and frankly, have BETTER numbers than the 720s, which is weird.

I yanked and tugged on mine like crazy yesterday, trying to get them adjusted... No issues whatsoever. I think I'm gonna have to just get over the fact that my brain tells me that they're gonna fall apart - 'cause so far, they don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom