Braided low pressure and high pressure regulator hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12th Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I wanted to get your thoughts on the braided low pressure and heck I'll throw in high pressure regulator hoses. My new Aqualung Legend LX came with braided hoses except for the high pressure line. I'm assuming the manufacturing and issues of the past that I've read about have been taken care of. I didn't have any issues on my dive trip to Belize. I did run into two divers that were using braided high pressure lines and said they've never had an issue.

Do y'all prefer the braided over rubber hoses or is one of those to each there own?

Thanks

I too prefer braided hoses.

I might use a braided hose for the inflator on my singles rig. No LP braided hoses on my tech reg setups. Don't allow braided hoses on the second stages in my tech classes. They are floaty, tend to take a set, are known to kink shut easier than rubber, when they break down on the inside you may not know it until they shut off the flow of air to the second stage.
I am trying a couple of braided 6 inch hoses on my deco bottles and so far they are ok. But they don't get bent in any way.
Braided are also not friendly to latex seals on drysuits and catch the hairs on my arm and back of the neck.
Since manufacturers are also recommending they be replaced every two years and I have rubber hoses that are more than 5 and in great shape, braided are a waste of money and don't really save that much weight when traveling. I;d rather leave a pair of shoes at home and use the weight for rubber hoses.
Numerous reports of all these happenings.

I like the braided hoses for everything, except the long hose around my neck. Although, as I dive more and more with a hoodEd vest that is less of an issue.

I don't trust braided hoses and have quit using them. I use rubber hoses, and I discard them from time to time.

I can't find braided hoses for mine:
IMG_20160609_185649_549.jpg

:rofl3:

But in all seriousness, I started with rubber, transitioned to braided, and slowly moving all my gear back to rubber.

Have had more issues with the braided hoses than rubber.

YMMV

I can't find braided hoses for mine:

:rofl3:

Corrugated hoses are for inflaters! :)

Someday I hope to get a shot at using a DH. Very neat.

They are all braided, its just if the outer layer is a braid or rubber.
For anything that wraps around my neck, the smooth rubber is better.
The rubber also tucks into the bands on the bail out rig better.
But my high pressure hoses are braided (the small diameter stuff) and those are fine.
I can't say one is tougher/better in normal use, typically the ends of the hose will fail first anyway.
Both will rot from the inside and make Champaign bubbles when they get old.
I would call it a personal preference unless you have a special reason (rubber is smoother, some braided is a smaller diameter).

Back
Top Bottom