When to go to Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windy but temp is ok during the day. At night, a sweat or polar is welcome.
Sea is quite cold (that means around 22 - 24 celsius).
No problem for a women in tourist places, correct clothing needed in other places. (correct means long skirt or pants, nothing provocative).

as far as whale sharks and hammerheads are concerned, don't be too optimistic in Sharm ...

If you are going in January, the water will be at its coldest (21-25 C). I was chilly in a 5 mm wetsuit, with a hooded vest. It is common to see people diving in dry suits especially if they are doing 3-4 dives per day on a live-aboard.

However, in January, the weather will be chilly so bring top-side layers to stay warm after your dives. I packed a Northface Primaloft lightweight jacket and used it on my surface intervals.

I'm in Sharm right now, water temperature is 24 degrees Celsius down to 33m. Did a few dives in a 3mm shorty (with separate 5mm hood and 5mm boots) so people were looking at me with rather wide eyes as I came out of the water after 50-55min dives without shivering. But I'm a former water polo player who gained a bit of weight in my 40's so I'm probably less relevant when it comes to exposure suit choice.
However the diving instructors appear to be all diving in 5mm hooded suits, one chubbier instructor also dived in a shorty but 5mm.
The talk about dry suits or hooded vests over wetsuits may be relevant only for ladies particularly sensitive to cold (I did saw a Korean lady coming out of water shivering really bad despite wearing a 5mm hooded wetsuit (but her suit was a rental that fit her really bad -read loose- on the torso).

It's worth mentioning thought that the weather was so far very good, sunny in most days and with little wind. On a colder day (read 15-16 degrees C) and particularly if it's windy I'd definitely go for a long and well fitted 5mm.

The talk about dry suits or hooded vests over wetsuits may be relevant only for ladies particularly sensitive to cold .
Not sure many are going to agree with you on this one or your somewhat insensitive physical description of the instructor who dove in a "..shorty but 5mm" [sic].

Did you also noticed what I said about myself or are you generally just looking to feel offended? I was giving some real input from 2 days ago, was hoping it would be welcomed rather then being peeled off for stuff that may offend the easily offended...

Let's take it easy in here please.

I'm in Sharm right now, water temperature is 24 degrees Celsius down to 33m. Did a few dives in a 3mm shorty (with separate 5mm hood and 5mm boots) so people were looking at me with rather wide eyes as I came out of the water after 50-55min dives without shivering. But I'm a former water polo player who gained a bit of weight in my 40's so I'm probably less relevant when it comes to exposure suit choice.
However the diving instructors appear to be all diving in 5mm hooded suits, one chubbier instructor also dived in a shorty but 5mm.
The talk about dry suits or hooded vests over wetsuits may be relevant only for ladies particularly sensitive to cold (I did saw a Korean lady coming out of water shivering really bad despite wearing a 5mm hooded wetsuit (but her suit was a rental that fit her really bad -read loose- on the torso).

It's worth mentioning thought that the weather was so far very good, sunny in most days and with little wind. On a colder day (read 15-16 degrees C) and particularly if it's windy I'd definitely go for a long and well fitted 5mm.

Thanks for the water temp info! We'll be there on a liveaboard in March and I've been reading the Red Sea is in the low 70s at that time, and was worried my 7mm and frogskins would be too cold. Now I'm wondering if I'll be too hot, and should get a 5mm suit and layer. Hmmmmm.

Well it depends what "low 70's" mean. For example 73 Fahrenheit is 22.77 Celsius, that would get reported as 23 Celsius by most computers. 75 is 23.88 Celsius so very close to what I had this year. (btw it was the same last year as well, in late December early Jan, also in Sharm)
Even if the capacity to tolerate temperatures in this range varies wildly from one person to the other I would say that 5mm+layer would be a safe bet IF the weather is good. If it's overcast and windy it would boil down to how fast can you get in dry clothes and to your personal tolerance to cold. Being on a liveaboard where the whole idea is to be able to do 2-3 dives per day every day I'd say to get that 5mm+layer and have a hooded west in your luggage, just in case there's a spell of cold weather. If you were just doing some diving during a resort based holiday that west would be just a waste of luggage space :)

March chillier water than december. Can vary a little season to season (+- 1C) Also depends where? Even within Egypt. ”The Red Sea” is big and has different zones.
Then another factor, which is perhaps the biggest: how many dives per day, how long dives and for how many consecutive days?
Beginners doing a dive or two per day, short, might be happy in a shorty. If you are on a liveaboard spending more than 3 hours each day in water that are 13-14 C degrees colder than your body, for a week, it’s not unusual that you want good insulation.

Talking from my recent experience I was doing 2 dives of about 45 mins each in quick succession (1 hour surface time) and never ever felt cold in the 3mm shorty. Actually in a couple of days when there was virtually no wind I didn't even bothered to get dressed between dives, just got out of the shorty and did a bit of sunbathing on the boat. What matters a lot in the Sharm area is the water frequently having the same temperature all the way down to 33-34m which is quite different from what you will encounter in the Mediterranean (for example).
But again, mine was a relatively long resort based holiday so those doing a liveaboard should stay on the cautious side. Keep in mind tho, I never saw any of the local guides diving in 7mm, let alone semi-dry or overvest or anything like that. And the locals were all wearing warm sweaters while complaining that the winter is cold (it was like 23-24 degrees Celsius and sunny :wink: most of the time).
Let's have it this way: if doing a liveaboard take with you the stuff that would allow you to dive comfortably in cold and windy weather (for the peace of mind), but don't forget that 5mm well fitting and easy to put on suit :)

Back
Top Bottom