Twenty-two minutes of humility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of hate for the poor fusion. I don’t think it’s that bad. The main drawbacks of the suit is donning/doffing the suit and the fact that it takes ages to dry (especially the bullet skin).

But other than that it’s quite a comfortable suit to dive, and very durable.

So give it some time OP. All drysuits are different :). I use one as one of my backup suits and used it for everything drone mine diving to tropical trimix diving.

Just out of curiosity, what does the rest of your setup look like? Doubles/singles? Which fins etc

Tell us about your experience after 6-10 dives in the suit (including pool time if you do any)....I think you will find once you establish how to control your spatial orientation relative to the air bubble in the suit you will find things much better.

Definitely need some thickness with regards to undergarment insulation as the suit offers none. Last spring I found it more comfortable to switch back to a wetsuit long before I would have expected because the wetsuit offered more warmth during the dives I was doing than the undergarments I was wearing...anything thicker than what I was using at the time would have been super uncomfortable dressing out and getting down to the waters edge due to the air temp.

-Z

It was almost 6 months in the making but last week on my 61st birthday Eric and I finally had our first opportunity to dive our Aqualung Fusion drysuits. Eric took to it immediately but me, not so much. I use the excuse that I was underweighted but truth was I looked like it was my first ever dive. Flipping, twisting and flapping my arms like a bird in flight. Pretty if you are a bird but not as a diver.

Suiting up actually went rather well. We had already changed some seals and trimmed others so they felt about right. We had also watched the video for donning the Fusions and did several dry runs at home. Despite our thermal gear (a hodge podge of things we already owned), getting into that 53 degree water was a shock, especially when my face hit the water. Cold too where I felt water around my neck but it was just getting under my hood not my seal. I don’t remember this happening my one week diving dry several years ago.

My only prior drysuit experience was in a crushed neoprene suit diving sidemount. That week I fell in love with diving dry and felt very comfortable in the water. This week in the Fusion couldn’t have been more different. I fought the suit and the air bubble constantly. I truly was underweighted (we need to buy more lead) but I doubt that was the only source for my problems. And I probably need new fins. I was using my Mares. Is there a fin somewhere between my light Mares and the very heavy traditional drysuit fins? I don’t need a large foot pocket.

Next dive I hope to add at least 4 pounds and move the camband weights to the bottom band. Maybe try a pound of lead on each ankle. More thermal layers too since I was pretty chilled the entire dive and I know this means even more lead. I really don’t want to wrap my legs/use some form of gaiter. Call me vain but I would like to think I can do this with skill alone. But yes, I will take some ace wraps just in case then if needed diy a pair of gaiters.

Good thing I have 8 more months to learn how to dive this thing before my California trip. I hope to meet up with some SBers then and really hope to not make a complete fool of myself.

The 1st dive with my dry suit this season was a similar performance due to underweighting. I was with 2 fairly new divers, it was an embarrassing situation to say the least. Add to that it was a very shallow dive 15FSW MAX so it just added to the issue. Flippin' and twistin' and turnin' not so much of flayin' the arms but certainly not reflective of 40+ years of dry suit experience. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

It's just an inherent problem in the design of the suit. If you want to make 3 sizes that fit everybody, you're gonna have a suit that is the perfect size for 3 people, and varying levels of compromise for the other 97% of people. The problem in all of that excess designed for someone bigger has to go somewhere. The outer skin does a great job at streamlining the profile that sees drag, but does nothing for all of those potential air traps that comes with the excess material inherent to the trash bag suit design.

You're just going to have to be extremely judicious in flopping around to move all of that excess air to a position where it's able to be vented. It's just a fact that they are really good at trapping air, which equates to really poor performance if the suit is in any way too large, which they all are, unless you're one of those 3 people that perfectly fit in the thing. Unfortunately, there's really no way to minimize the amount of excess material in the suit. You could try and pay someone to cut out the excess, but then you're playing with fire when it comes to potential leaks.

What was it about a telescopic torso that you didn't like? Did you get to try any of the suit styles before your purchase? I find a lot of people buy Fusions because dive shops use them for rental suits. Instead of having to stock a wide variety of suits that fit, they only have to stock a couple sizes that mostly don't fit, but most people renting drysuits don't really know any better. A lot of those people then end up buying them when they finally decide to bit the bullet because it's the only thing they're familiar with. They don't realize the low price is a reflection of a number of compromises with the suit design.
Unfortunately living in central NC there were really no options for trying on any drysuit much less diving with one so all my research was online and my limited prior experience. First criteria was ability to don. Second was a female fit option. Overall the Fusion has been well recommended. I knew Marie13 liked hers and she has DRIS as her LDS so almost limitless options. I had several SB members pm me with suggestions and a discussion of the positive and negative qualities. And yes, the owner of my LDS dives one.

As for telescopic, I assumed, unless I bought custom, it would be even more baggy on me. At my height and weight, 5’2 and 130 lbs, all my suits, wet or dry have been too long, especially in the torso. My hope was the outer layer of the Fusion would at least compensate somewhat for this.

Just out of curiosity, what does the rest of your setup look like? Doubles/singles? Which fins etc
I dive single tank with my ss Freedom plate, steel 100 tank. I had 2 two lbs weights on top camband. Then 2 three pounders in pockets at my waist. Mares Quattro fins.

Thermal, started with a quality base layer of thin wool then cheap fleece sweat pants and top. Two pairs wool socks. Bare Elastek hood and for now XS Scuba dry 5 gloves. Fusion boots.

BTW. We found that the diluted baby shampoo we use as defog worked better for donning the seals then KY. Is this a problem with silicone seals?

I hope it all works out for you. Best of luck.

It's just an inherent problem in the design of the suit. If you want to make 3 sizes that fit everybody, you're gonna have a suit that is the perfect size for 3 people, and varying levels of compromise for the other 97% of people. The problem in all of that excess designed for someone bigger has to go somewhere.

Agreed. I purchased a used Large/XL Fusion Bullet and cleaned it throughly inside and out by separating the liner from the skin. I was stunned by the excessive amount of liner material. The suit is perfect if you’re 600 pounds, but at 170 pounds I’m swimming in it.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but we want to see pics. Lots of pics. For learning purposes, obviously. We promise not to laugh... much. :D

:useless:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but we want to see pics. Lots of pics. For learning purposes, obviously. We promise not to laugh... much. :D

:useless:
Ok, Ok, here ya go...

Actually you would need to flip that bird over a few times.

But seriously, if it will help me figure this thing out I will happily submit myself to further humiliation and share it with all my friends here. :)

BTW. We found that the diluted baby shampoo we use as defog worked better for donning the seals then KY. Is this a problem with silicone seals?

Using diluted/undiluted baby shampoo will not cause a problem with the seals.

I use unscented baby/talcum powder. I filled an old dress sock that was missing its pair and knotted to make a dabber. I keep it in ziplock sandwich bag in my save-a-dive kit along with an extra set of neck and wrist seals. I liberally dab the sock to apply the powder to my neck seal and wrist seals before donning my suit.

I have never had a problem removing my suit but some folks have written that they prefer products like water based lubricant or baby shampoo instead of powder as they tend to be present through the end of the dive facilitating removing hands from the seals. For me the powder works well enough...but I recommend that you experiment and use whatever works best for you.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom