VIP Inspectors: Identifiable vs Identified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fill is included in that $5 fee. Fill cost by itself is $10.
So you actually SAVE money by using their tools and having them review your work. Assuming you check your tank ahead of time, this means they are paying you $5 for less than 15 minutes of work? Sounds like a good deal.

They are if not printed with inspector number and shop name..... Any PSI inspector can use them. The very definition of generic.
That’s called a template.

It is branded by PSI/PCI, so not generic.

My primary issue with the whole thing is that the policy isn’t communicated. If I was there with tanks to be filled and was told, sorry, we can’t fill these I’d be really pissed after driving an hour. Imagine you’re diving in the area on vacation and are told they don’t will your tanks. If you’re diving tanks other than AL80s, you’re screwed because they only have a few steel singles and no doubles (last time I checked last year) in the rental fleet. I’d be even more pissed.

This is what their website currently shows. Per this, showing up with my personal tanks bearing the SDI/TDI stickers and with my VIP cert card in hand would be kosher. Not anymore.

20F2D8D5-724F-4A55-95AC-EEAEC1966C2A.jpeg

My tanks are in very good shape. I had a very good class and don’t doubt my training - unlike the person I know who had a 2 hour class and has someone check tanks they’re unsure about. That person seems to have not known how bad their class was until after the fact.

I would ask someone else to check any tank I wasn’t sure about. Most shops I know have a policy of getting a second opinion before failing a tank.

Asking someone to double check your work is not a sign of weakness or lack of training.

My primary issue with the whole thing is that the policy isn’t communicated. If I was there with tanks to be filled and was told, sorry, we can’t fill these I’d be really pissed after driving an hour. Imagine you’re diving in the area on vacation and are told they don’t will your tanks. If you’re diving tanks other than AL80s, you’re screwed because they only have a few steel singles and no doubles (last time I checked last year) in the rental fleet. I’d be even more pissed.

This is what their website currently shows. Per this, showing up with my personal tanks bearing the SDI/TDI stickers and with my VIP cert card in hand would be kosher. Not anymore.

View attachment 562896
I agree. The policy in-store did not match what was posted online. You are/were fully entitled to be pissed.

maybe you should have focused on that point first in your posts, instead of all the “hoops”.

So you actually SAVE money by using their tools and having them review your work. Assuming you check your tank ahead of time, this means they are paying you $5 for less than 15 minutes of work? Sounds like a good deal.

I’d have to leave them at the shop which requires two trips down. 60-90 min drive on a weeknight, each way. $7.20 in tolls (stupid IL, no way to avoid the tolls) per trip, plus the car gas.

I already had the majority of my tools.

I’d have to leave them at the shop which requires two trips down. 60-90 min drive on a weeknight, each way. $7.20 in tolls (stupid IL, no way to avoid the tolls) per trip, plus the car gas.

I already had the majority of my tools.

they don’t check it right then and there when you finish your VIP? What’s the point of scheduling then?

I agree. The policy in-store did not match what was posted online. You are/were fully entitled to be pissed.

maybe you should have focused on that point first in your posts, instead of all the “hoops”.

The hoops are excessive. But their compressor, their rules.

they don’t check it right then and there when you finish your VIP? What’s the point of scheduling then?

I’ve emailed to check. In any case, the repair department guys are only there on weekdays 9-5 or something like that. It’s rare they’re in the shop when I’m there. I’d have to take a day off work to be there during the day. If that’s the case, it’s even more ridiculous, but maybe that’s their way of reducing the number of people who would do their own tanks for $5.

You do realize that some “home-based” inspectors aren’t going to get compressors? I just love the SB mindset of “gotta get a compressor.” It goes along with “gotta do your own regs.” Try telling us urban/suburban condo/apartment dwellers to get a compressor. Ain’t gonna happen. Especially for those of us with no mechanical aptitude, even if we did somehow find a place to keep a compressor.
I'm not telling you to get a compressor. I'm saying exactly what you're saying, the rules and hoops get so annoying that many of us bought our own compressors.

"Bad batch of tanks" is completely bogus and made up backpedalling - unless they are talking about 6351 series aluminum which hasn't been economically viable to even hydro and eddy test in 5+ years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom