New Akona Roller Bag - Anybody have one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have an ancient Akona roller bag that is showing signs of wear, but mostly I need to get something lighter for flying. I've borrowed the Bare roller bag and it was great for down south, but it isn't large enough to take west when I need to take my drysuit and stuff.

Akona recently released this new bag. I wrote to them and apparently it's built using the same pattern as the bag I have now, but it's only 8 pounds, rather than 14. They stripped a couple of features off, like the backpack straps, but in all the years I had my current bag, I never used those.

CHELAN | Product | Roller Bags - Akona Adventure Gear

My local dealer hasn't seen them yet but has arranged for me to go to the distributor's location to look at one and pick it up if I like it.

I'm just curious if anyone has one and has used it much yet. Knowing Akona, I can't imagine it isn't a fine bag...

i haven't used it personally but have checked it out. same features. lighter weight. a no brainer to me

I have the one you have as well, but I only took it on one trip to Cayman many years ago. It carried everything fine, but I did pack it into a security sleeve which I folded up and put in the top pocket when I was ready to roll. A good roller I think, but yes, heavy. Like you, I've never used the back straps.
I suspect the material will be different from ours which could also account for the weight savings. The material in ours is thick. If this is so I might be worried about durability.
I've just got the Globetrotter which I'll be using instead as it would allow me to carry all my dive gear on board (except pony and cutting tools). If I'm going on a dive trip I would prefer to arrive with all my crucial gear. I'm tropical, so no dry suit, but that you can check separate, I guess.

I have an ancient Akona roller bag that is showing signs of wear, but mostly I need to get something lighter for flying. I've borrowed the Bare roller bag and it was great for down south, but it isn't large enough to take west when I need to take my drysuit and stuff.

Akona recently released this new bag. I wrote to them and apparently it's built using the same pattern as the bag I have now, but it's only 8 pounds, rather than 14. They stripped a couple of features off, like the backpack straps, but in all the years I had my current bag, I never used those.

CHELAN | Product | Roller Bags - Akona Adventure Gear

My local dealer hasn't seen them yet but has arranged for me to go to the distributor's location to look at one and pick it up if I like it.

I'm just curious if anyone has one and has used it much yet. Knowing Akona, I can't imagine it isn't a fine bag...

what were the other features removed besides the straps?

I ended up picking up one of these things. It looks to be ideal for my needs. The fabric is different, but seems very strong. The shoulder straps are gone, and that cover over them, and the little pocket on the back. Otherwise, it seems to be identical. The handle and wheels seem the same, and it is significantly lighter.

Like I said in my original post, the size of these bags is sort of overkill for a southern destination, but I travel to BC every year to dive as well and it's all I can do to get out there with two 50 pound bags.

I am off to Belize in 10 days I think, and I may be able to get my gear and clothes in one bag which would be a bonus!

I am off to Belize in 10 days I think, and I may be able to get my gear and clothes in one bag which would be a bonus!

I am looking at getting this bag to replace my heavier Akona (the handle no longer extends but is fine for our local shore diving). Can you tell me how this held up on your trip? I am just concerned about the lighter material. I have taken the other bag on several trips and it handled fine but it is heavy.

I don't use roller bags, but use backpack bags. The Akona bags used to be very strong and long lasting. My recent experience is no where near as good, Many have failed relatively quickly due to defects and poor worksmanship. I'm looking for a new bag, but they all look the same. Who has recently bought a backpack bag they think is sturdy and well made?

Can you tell me how this held up on your trip? I am just concerned about the lighter material.

I've done three trips (on planes) and it's been great. The lighter weight makes a huge difference. When I'd pack using the old model, I'd always seem to be just 2 or 3 pounds over and would need to start loading up my backpack and stuff. The material is holding up fine. 10/10 from me.

I don't use a roller bag locally since my gear just kinda lives in my boat or truck, so I don't have 25 weekend trips on this bag but it survived eight flights without any issues at all.

I've done three trips (on planes) and it's been great. The lighter weight makes a huge difference. When I'd pack using the old model, I'd always seem to be just 2 or 3 pounds over and would need to start loading up my backpack and stuff. The material is holding up fine. 10/10 from me.

I don't use a roller bag locally since my gear just kinda lives in my boat or truck, so I don't have 25 weekend trips on this bag but it survived eight flights without any issues at all.

Thank you for the response! My beach diving uses the bag to get from my garage to the gear up point in the back of a truck so not a lot of wear and tear. Looking forward to bringing it to Bonaire and Curacao this May/June.

I have both bags. I have used the older style bag for many years and it's showing wear but still works great. The new bag is for my wife and we will use it for the first time next week. My initial observations:

1. Size and pockets are identical. The pocket arrangement, drain holes, etc are all identical.
2. The zippers are identical YKK 10. Very heavy duty and never had issues with the old bag.
3. The new material is MUCH lighter/thinner. It doesn't seem nearly as tough but probably won't be an issue based on the other factors. The older material is extremely heavy duty. I'm not much of a fabric guy so can't really tell you any technical details on the difference.
4. The new bag has no padded liner. The old bag has a heavy padded liner behind the nylon outer fabric and a thin inside layer. The new bag has two layers of material. (edited line 4).
5. The wheels on the new bag seem much less sturdy. They are significantly smaller and the bearings seem to be much cheaper. The wheel housing has also been reduced in size.
6. The plastic frame is much lighter and seems less sturdy. It does not seem that it will hold up as long. I've had bags break internal frames and they must be completely replaced when that happens.
7. Handle. This is my biggest concern. The retractable handle seems quite flimsy. If you drag your bag against curbs, stairs etc to drag it up, then it will bend the handle and it will no longer retract.

I am (was) a frequent flyer and very rough on bags. The handle and wheels are the two most frustrating items to deal with when they go out. As this bag won't be used except scuba trips I feel we should get 2-3 years out of it. If you are looking for very heavy duty and will provide many years of service, I would opt for the older, heavier version if it's still available.

I posted a couple pics as well.

2021-03-03 12.16.46.jpg
2021-03-03 12.17.25.jpg
2021-03-03 12.17.59.jpg

Back
Top Bottom