Would appreciate suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to say it will be in the 50s - unless it's in the 40s. Water here doesn't really warm up in summer the way it does in a lake.

Well I am learning a lot here on this board. I am so surprised at the water temp. I knew it was colder but not like that...I have only ever dived in Florida so at the end of August I didn't even need a suit.

I would recommend you read these pages:

New Monterey Diver Information

Kelp Diving Information

The information about the number of shops and boats in the area is a little out of date, but otherwise it's very good advice.

Those were both very good articles. I tend to be very cautious anyway but I will have both my son and husband read these sobering articles. Thank you!

I highly recommend the Beachhopper II Dive Charters, Beachhopper II. Captain Maryjo and crew were amazing. The boat dive I took with them was great, you get better visibility and I saw a lot more wildlife than the shore dives I was used to. My wife and I got certified in Monterey and it can definitely get very low vis... Make sure you're wearing at least a 7mm wet with vest over or dry suit. Water temp is low 50's right now. Have fun!

Hi Michelle,

Maryjo on Beachhopper II is an excellent recommendation.

Monterey will not be "warm" even in August. Occasionally, there will be the perfect weather pattern where the water is relatively warm and the air delightful. Those days make diving Monterey splendid. It is an experience that is different from most other dive opportunities and should be experienced.

The Channel Islands of SoCal are way-up on my list of favorites. San Clemente and the north side (frontside) of Santa Cruz are my favorites. Catalina can have relatively warm water--it is a great place to visit. Inquire at Truth Aquatics for an overnight or multi-night trip to the northern Channel Islands.

Good luck! Gird your loins, as it may be chilly!

cheers,
markm

Well I am learning a lot here on this board. I am so surprised at the water temp. I knew it was colder but not like that...I have only ever dived in Florida so at the end of August I didn't even need a suit.

Did you do your checkout dives in a quarry or in a warm location? If you've never dived in colder water, you might consider checking with a local dive shop and doing a couple dives in a local quarry. The average temps for Monterey in August are {Max: 59.5°F/Avg: 58.1°F/Min: 56.7°F}. You can replicate these conditions in most quarries on the east coast. That way, you'll make sure you're going into CA diving eyes open and knowing what to expect (esp. if a 7mm+vest+hood+gloves works for you).

I'm not trying to discourage at all. My entire adult life I wanted to dive Monterey. I finally got to a couple years ago and it was fantastic! (but, chilly...). My writeup as a first timer: California First Time

Hi there,

Looks like you have already gotten the spiel on local water temps, just wanted to add some concrete numbers to the thread. I live about 100 miles from Monterey, and try to get there once or twice a month. Have a little over 50 dives there since the end of 2018. The coldest temp I have seen was 46.4F, warmest 58.5F, median 51.6F. I got in a few dives around August last year, logging the following temps:
2019/07/28: 54.7
2019/08/10: 53.4
2019/08/10: 49.3
2019/08/10: 49.3
2019/08/11: 48.7
2019/08/11: 48.6

Except for OW training, all my local dives so far have been in an Aqualung SolAfx (which is 8mm in the chest and 7mm in the appendages, with good seals an a built-in hood) plus 5mm gloves/booties. I've never been close to dangerously cold, but am frequently a little uncomfortable, and more than 2 dives a day is usually unrealistic. I would not recommend a suit with thinner neoprene or leakier seals, unless you are a superhero. At this point, I have sucked it up and ordered a drysuit.

By the way, if you are looking to buy a cold water wetsuit, I have heard nothing but good things about the Deep 6 7mm, which is currently listed on their website for very, very cheap. Recently dove their 3mm in Bonaire for a week, and was very warm and very happy all week long -- all my friends with inferior rental suits were cold by the end. If I didn't already own an 8mm wetsuit and a drysuit on the way, I'd snap up the Deep 6 7mm in a heartbeat.

Best of luck, dive safe out there.

Agree with everyone saying positive things about the Beachhopper II and MaryJo. My AOW class took her boat in October 2019 for our boat dives and it was a delightful first boat dive experience. Computer logged temperatures of around 54F during that weekend and I was fine with a 7mm and a hooded vest.

My OW dives were beach dives in Monterey off San Carlos beach, which is always full of divers. I'm usually not prone to getting cold, but 7mm with a hooded vest was ok for me in August. I didn't really hear much complaints from other people wearing 7mm either.

Hope that you make the trip and have an awesome time!

Back
Top Bottom