Best DPV for a one handed diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronnie simpson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi , I am a disabled dive and my left arm is completely paralyzed after a post operative stroke, and my left leg is very weak I was wondering which dvp is suitable for one handed operation and light enough to travel with I live in Europe thanks

...one handed operation and light enough to travel ...
The Pegasus Thruster
One handed........Comes with travel case too.
Pegasus Thruster Pro Scooter Package

pt-cp-01_4.jpg

pt-cp-01_1.jpg

Look at the speed controller on the Genesis 2.1

hi , I am a disabled dive and my left arm is completely paralyzed after a post operative stroke, and my left leg is very weak I was wondering which dvp is suitable for one handed operation and light enough to travel with I live in Europe thanks

the key for one-handed operation IMO is to have a scooter with a tow-cord at 3 and 9 oclock positions vs a vertical tow cord.
Something like the new Dive X Black Tip will allow you to travel with a lithium scooter that uses standard DeWalt power tool batteries, and gives you full control with one hand. You shouldn't need to use two hands for any "real" DPV, but the ones that have vertical tow cords can be a bit harder to steer

Hi Ronnie, The Genesis has fully variable speed control with one hand and it is now passenger airline legal at only 33lbs (15kg) There are some DPVs that have a speed control knob located on the body of the DPV that require the use of a second hand, so you should avoid that. Other DPVs that just use a single trigger/switch with multiple preset speeds would be an option, but they cannot precisely match speeds with other divers or sea life and they can be a bit annoying trying to change speeds by repeated clicking the trigger to change gears up or down and missing "shifts"

the key for one-handed operation IMO is to have a scooter with a tow-cord at 3 and 9 oclock positions vs a vertical tow cord.
...You shouldn't need to use two hands for any "real" DPV, but the ones that have vertical tow cords can be a bit harder to steer

tbone's statement about tow cord orientation lacks experience. That mindset comes from a couple of well know cave diving instructors who preach 3 & 9 o'clock tow cords, even shaming the students who could not defend their reasoning for vertical tow cords. Most people that use 3/9 do so because that is what they were taught, never questioned it and developed the muscle memory of it over time, which makes anything different feel awkward. If you dissect the physics of the DPV thrust, it's reaction and pivot points, friction of the tow cord through the bolt snap and size of the muscles in your arm used to control the DPV, vertical tow cords make more sense. With a vertical tow cord, small direction changes can be made with the wrist because the tow cord pivots align vertically with the wrist. You cannot easily use your wrist with a horizontal tow cord, because it would require the tow cord to slide through the bolt snap at your waist, which has friction that increases with thrust. Vertical tow cords benefit from the friction at the waist bolt snap, since you want the thrust to pass under you, which requires the top leg of the tow cord to be shorter than the bottom leg and difference is held in place by that friction. Horizontal tow cords require the diver to constantly pull back on the handle to direct the thrust under themself, because the pivots want to self center and direct thrust at the divers waist. Large direction changes require larger arm movements with either cord orientation, but the upper arm muscles are much stronger and able to overcome the bolt snap friction of a vertical tow cord easier than the wrist muscles are able to overcome the friction of the horizontal tow cord with small direction changes. It's a rather complex force vector study, when thrust and drag are not coaxial.

Cheers,
Jon

You don't mention price constraints, but I guess weight is an issue also? If that's the case you could also look for Aquaprop DPV's by Bonex, Suex Seven or Seacraft. They are relatively lightweight scooters. All of these brands also have more advanced and heavier DPV's.

.../

.../tbone's statement about tow cord orientation lacks experience. That mindset comes from a couple of well know cave diving instructors who preach 3 & 9 o'clock tow cords, even shaming the students who could not defend their reasoning for vertical tow cords. Most people that use 3/9 do so because that is what they were taught, never questioned it and developed the muscle memory of it over time, which makes anything different feel awkward. If you dissect the physics of the DPV thrust, it's reaction and pivot points, friction of the tow cord through the bolt snap and size of the muscles in your arm used to control the DPV, vertical tow cords make more sense. With a vertical tow cord, small direction changes can be made with the wrist because the tow cord pivots align vertically with the wrist. You cannot easily use your wrist with a horizontal tow cord, because it would require the tow cord to slide through the bolt snap at your waist, which has friction that increases with thrust. Vertical tow cords benefit from the friction at the waist bolt snap, since you want the thrust to pass under you, which requires the top leg of the tow cord to be shorter than the bottom leg and difference is held in place by that friction. Horizontal tow cords require the diver to constantly pull back on the handle to direct the thrust under themself, because the pivots want to self center and direct thrust at the divers waist. Large direction changes require larger arm movements with either cord orientation, but the upper arm muscles are much stronger and able to overcome the bolt snap friction of a vertical tow cord easier than the wrist muscles are able to overcome the friction of the horizontal tow cord with small direction changes. It's a rather complex force vector study, when thrust and drag are not coaxial.../

You got off the rails in the first sentence. I know Tom, and Tom knows what he is saying.

More directly, I and my wife have been cave DPV divers for years, and we have experience on a number of different scooters and we have placed the towcords at both 12 and 6 and 9 and 3 on most of them.

Your second statement that the 3 and 9 approach comes from a couple of well known cave instructors who preach/insist on it is also a bit off.

You also make a large assumption about friction on the line at the scooter and the bolt snap when that's a variable, not a constant.

--------

In practice, and based on over 15 years of DPV experience with about 10 of that in caves, my advice is that the optimum tow cord position depends on a few different factors:

1) Large heavy scooters can benefit from a horizontal tow cord placement (3 and 9).

That's because the mass of the scooter relative to the torque and power make them more stable in the vertical and less maneuverable in the horizontal. A bolt snap that is free to move on the tow cord and a horizontal tow cord placement work really well for comfort and low muscle input on a long scooter run, while improving the turning ability of the DPV.

There is some validity in your comments about some cave instructors, but they date back to the days when the scooters in question ranged from a 53 pound Oceanic Mako to a 90 pound UV-26. Rolling a large scooter to the right or left is not always sufficient to get it to turn easily and if you have to also pull on it slightly to get it to pitch up into the turn, that's easier to do without having to deal with the friction of a vertical tow cord sliding through the bolt snap. Tom is exactly right on that point.

2) Some scooters can benefit from a 12 and 6 placement

Often with a smaller scooter the reduced mass of the scooter and reduced stability make a 12 and 6 tow cord placement advantageous as maneuverability in the horizontal plane usually isn't an issue. Rolling the scooter to the right or left is usually sufficient to get it to turn easily. A smaller scooter is also light enough that pushing or pulling on the handle to control the pitch in the vertical isn't a big deal - but it will *potentially* be a bit more work on a long run to keep it running straight and level, if the tow cord is free to move through the bolt, snap (see #3).

3) The attach points and methods make a difference

If you run the tow cord through a quick link at the scooter attach point, the cord is free to move through the attach point on the scooter, making it easy to adjust the tow cord length for different conditions. Alternatively using a stainless cable clamp or a polymer attach point with a hole not much larger than the line, will greatly increase friction and take less pressure off the prusik knot used to adjust the tow cord length - but make it slightly harder to adjust the length. The line used can als make a difference. For example 11 strand 750 paracord with its kernmantle cover is a bit stiffer than braided nylon and interacts differently with the bolt snap and free running attach point.

Also, if you just run the line through the bolt snap eye, the scooter can pivot around the bolt snap attach point on the diver with minimal friction. That usually works well on a larger scooter.

On a smaller scooter it will usually improve stability in "cruise" if you use a half hitch to attach the line to the eye of the bolt snap, or just larks head the bolt snap onto the bolt snap eye. This will allow you to more or less ix the position of the bolt snap on the tow cord. Once adjusted to the right position on a vertical tow cord, the scooter will maintain its attitude in the vertical plane with minimal input, which can make longer runs at a more or less constant depth easier on the arm.

Similarly, a fixed bolt snap on a horizontal tow cord can sometimes be advantageous of the scooter is a bit unstable side to side under power.

4) In summary, what works is what works

For example, my wife struggled a lot in her cave DPV course, where precision mattered, until we switched the tow cord to the 3 and 9 position. This was on a 53 pound Mako and it made a huge difference in terms of her ability to control the direction of the scooter and in terms of not rolling to the right due to torque.

Fast forward a few years to when she started using a Piranha P1, she had concerns about the 12 and 6 tow cord placement, but found it worked just fine for her on that scooter. It's smaller, lighter, and much more maneuverable and even with more thrust its very controllable for her with the 12 and 6 tow cord position.

----

Consequently, my advise to anyone setting up a DPV is to be flexible, and experiment a bit until you find what works best. Ideally, you'll have an open minded instructor or a knowledgeable mentor who can help shallow out the learning curve.

But be aware that someone who insists on a a 12 and 6 tow cord arrangement is just as counterproductive as someone who insists on a 3 and 9 placement.

There's a time and place for both, as well as a time and place for different bolt snap attachment and line choices.

The Dive Xtras Piranha weighs 24.6 pounds and uses four 18 volt 5 Ah DeWalt compatible power tool batteries that are very travel friendly. You can also get a travel case for it that makes it very airline proof.

The Piranha trigger is finger actuated and is fully user programmable for number of "gears" (any number from 1 to 8), percentage of power in each gear, and the ramp up rate (how fast the scooter goes from zero to the rpm for that "gear").

Dive Xtras sells the P1 for $4995 on their website, but dealers can discount up to 10%, and I personally sell them for $4496.35.

Karst Scuba

The Dive Xtras BlackTip weighs 22.2 pounds when weighted for neutral buoyancy in fresh water and 22.8 pounds when weighted for sea water. It's also extremely travel friendly as the tail section is short enough and the body tube small enough that it will fit in a larger carry on bag (you'll need one that pushes the carry on limits). Getting it in a checked suitcase is a snap. Either way, add some t-shirts and a towel for padding and carry it on.

0876A6B2-2845-499A-901E-749767EB0A63_zps44fmz7kz.JPG

Performance is excellent, especially for a DPV that retails for $1499.95.

BlackTip-Comparison-Limited-scaled.png

The BlackTip uses a thumb trigger and has 8 gears, but the electronic speed control is not user programmable.

-----

Either one can be managed easily with one hand, and will greatly improve your mobility underwater. In addition to being travel friendly, at 22-25 pounds, they are both light enough that carrying them in one hand is easy, and boat crews won't complain about lifting one out of the water for a diver.

I'd go with a P1. Light, no stupid thumb trigger, adjustable gear settings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom