Trip Report: Ocean View Tulamben with the family.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlMitch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wanted to title this trip report "To back roll or to stumble this is my question?" But thought it may be a tad obscure!! So I went with the tried and tested route!! But I will get to my question soon enough.

This was now our fourth time to the pebble beached sleepy town of Tulamben. As per usual we travel with two growing boys (now 6 & 4) and this time around we dragged their Auntie all for the ride.

Our previous 3 trips we stayed at Scuba Seraya and we highly recommend that resort, but we thought we would try something new and stay in town and close to the wreck. After lots of review trawling I ended up at Ocean View Tulamben or OVT from now on ( Ocean View Tulamben - Home ) . There are tons of good reviews for Liberty Dive Resort and I'm sure it's great BUT they are up the road from the "beach" immediately behind OVT and personally I like staying where I can actually see the sea. Yes the view is restricted from the resort restaurant but at least there is a direct view and you are literally on the rocks.

We stayed in the more budget rooms at the top end of the resort in front of the top pool. The rooms are HUGE and clean. And even have a bath all for a bargain price of USD52 per night!! The AC worked great and the staff are helpful. The bungalows down below are really pretty and If I were travelling sans kids I would definitely go for the. BUT when you need 2 rooms the extra cost was a tad much. This is the view from our veranda.

49376881427_38c9972cb4_c.jpg
The upper pool at Ocean View by Angmo Al, on Flickr

The bottom pool and restaurant area are really pretty. And we ended up spending much of our time down here. The younger one loved the shallow plunge pool at the bottom.
Food at the restaurant was on the whole not bad, some meals definitely better than others. With two very busy kids with dietary restrictions we really do not bother exploring for food! We get the kitchen staff accustomed to what we need and then just stick to it. To their credit the kitchen staff we very accommodating! The only real issue was that they had an extremely limited booze selection!! My wife loves a cocktail to celebrate the sunset but they basically had nothing!! They did have cold Bintang's so I was fine! :wink:

49376225983_6cfcf13fba_z.jpg
Ocean View Sunset by Angmo Al, on Flickr

One of the main reasons for staying in Tulamben was so that I could take my eldest out snorkeling to the wreck. And man did he love it!! He is so comfortable in the water, a true fish! The wreck is a 50m walk down the rocky beach and then about 100m swim out.

49302742083_f3398f9f84.jpg
Mr Fish by Angmo Al, on Flickr

On to the diving. Firstly the dive team at OVT are extremely easy going and at your service, we dived when we wanted, how we wanted. We had our own guide and often two of them! They were good spotters, but possibly a tad enthusiastic with the critters and I needed to dial him down a little. You travel out to the dive sites by truck and then either kit up on the rocks and stumble in or they will bring your gear into the water and you can kit up in the shallows...still stumbling around!
So this brings me back to my initial question "To back roll or to stumble?". I can honestly say that next time I will likely head back to Scuba Seraya! The hassle of stumbling over those rocks and in the shallows gets old quick!! At Seraya you cruise up to the dive spot and just back roll from the boat! Much more civilized!

To further illustrate my point. The one night I was walking on the "beach" and I spotted this big guy floundering in the shallows! Really struggling! I waded out to him and helped him out. He was very grateful and was seriously unimpressed with the situation he found himself in! Apparently the current was ripping through the wreck and he got separated from his group and was now just hating life!

Ok back to my diving. Unfortunately I came down with a strange flu thingy, which did not really clog me up but often made me pretty dizzy. So I took a day off and just relaxed, and then tried again, but even though I was ok underwater I did not quite feel myself, which put a slight damper on the dive trip! But we still got to see some amazing new nudi's and critters. When I got back I went to see the doc and he said it was an inner ear infection and the dizziness cleared up a week or so later!! Pretty weird!

49302741253_0072607120.jpg
Beautiful beast by Angmo Al, on Flickr

49302740558_2f3a59a4e9.jpg
_DSC8651 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

After our week at OVT we headed down for a week on a real beach!! We stayed in a rustic Air BnB right on the beach just down from Padang Padang.

All in all we had a great trip.

I would definitely recommend OVT to anyone heading to Tulamben!

You can see the full Flikr album below:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmKnPLBd

Nice write up.

Great flikr album!

I'm not jealous, no sir, not me, not one little bit.

Whats jealousy? i am not aware of such words that exist! Nope, not in the dictionary. Good write up though *biting my lip*

Thanks for your report. It's nice to get some feedback for resorts in Tulamben other than LDR (even though it is great!) :wink:
We're heading back to Bali in August but would like to see other parts of the island. This time we'll probably stay on Nusa Lembongan first, then head up to Amed for the snorkelling for the boys and some chilled diving, or do it the other way round.

I wanted to title this trip report "To back roll or to stumble this is my question?" But thought it may be a tad obscure!! So I went with the tried and tested route!! But I will get to my question soon enough.

This was now our fourth time to the pebble beached sleepy town of Tulamben. As per usual we travel with two growing boys (now 6 & 4) and this time around we dragged their Auntie all for the ride.

Our previous 3 trips we stayed at Scuba Seraya and we highly recommend that resort, but we thought we would try something new and stay in town and close to the wreck. After lots of review trawling I ended up at Ocean View Tulamben or OVT from now on ( Ocean View Tulamben - Home ) . There are tons of good reviews for Liberty Dive Resort and I'm sure it's great BUT they are up the road from the "beach" immediately behind OVT and personally I like staying where I can actually see the sea. Yes the view is restricted from the resort restaurant but at least there is a direct view and you are literally on the rocks.

We stayed in the more budget rooms at the top end of the resort in front of the top pool. The rooms are HUGE and clean. And even have a bath all for a bargain price of USD52 per night!! The AC worked great and the staff are helpful. The bungalows down below are really pretty and If I were travelling sans kids I would definitely go for the. BUT when you need 2 rooms the extra cost was a tad much. This is the view from our veranda.

View attachment 562818The upper pool at Ocean View by Angmo Al, on Flickr

The bottom pool and restaurant area are really pretty. And we ended up spending much of our time down here. The younger one loved the shallow plunge pool at the bottom.
Food at the restaurant was on the whole not bad, some meals definitely better than others. With two very busy kids with dietary restrictions we really do not bother exploring for food! We get the kitchen staff accustomed to what we need and then just stick to it. To their credit the kitchen staff we very accommodating! The only real issue was that they had an extremely limited booze selection!! My wife loves a cocktail to celebrate the sunset but they basically had nothing!! They did have cold Bintang's so I was fine! :wink:

View attachment 562819Ocean View Sunset by Angmo Al, on Flickr

One of the main reasons for staying in Tulamben was so that I could take my eldest out snorkeling to the wreck. And man did he love it!! He is so comfortable in the water, a true fish! The wreck is a 50m walk down the rocky beach and then about 100m swim out.

View attachment 562820Mr Fish by Angmo Al, on Flickr

On to the diving. Firstly the dive team at OVT are extremely easy going and at your service, we dived when we wanted, how we wanted. We had our own guide and often two of them! They were good spotters, but possibly a tad enthusiastic with the critters and I needed to dial him down a little. You travel out to the dive sites by truck and then either kit up on the rocks and stumble in or they will bring your gear into the water and you can kit up in the shallows...still stumbling around!
So this brings me back to my initial question "To back roll or to stumble?". I can honestly say that next time I will likely head back to Scuba Seraya! The hassle of stumbling over those rocks and in the shallows gets old quick!! At Seraya you cruise up to the dive spot and just back roll from the boat! Much more civilized!

To further illustrate my point. The one night I was walking on the "beach" and I spotted this big guy floundering in the shallows! Really struggling! I waded out to him and helped him out. He was very grateful and was seriously unimpressed with the situation he found himself in! Apparently the current was ripping through the wreck and he got separated from his group and was now just hating life!

Ok back to my diving. Unfortunately I came down with a strange flu thingy, which did not really clog me up but often made me pretty dizzy. So I took a day off and just relaxed, and then tried again, but even though I was ok underwater I did not quite feel myself, which put a slight damper on the dive trip! But we still got to see some amazing new nudi's and critters. When I got back I went to see the doc and he said it was an inner ear infection and the dizziness cleared up a week or so later!! Pretty weird!

View attachment 562821Beautiful beast by Angmo Al, on Flickr

View attachment 562822_DSC8651 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

After our week at OVT we headed down for a week on a real beach!! We stayed in a rustic Air BnB right on the beach just down from Padang Padang.

All in all we had a great trip.

I would definitely recommend OVT to anyone heading to Tulamben!

You can see the full Flikr album below:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmKnPLBd

Fab! Thank you.

I've never seen either one of your first "monsters" embedded in your report above.

Where is Padang Padang?

Glad you liked your stay at Ocean View.

I'm on the other side, I think the shoredive is fun in Tulamben. Doesn't need any preparation nor regimented schedule, you can go any time anywhere... and it's part of the charm as well, we the regulars look at how those noobs get along with the beach entry. (yeah yeah, it also happened I wasn't great to see stumbling down and eventually wrecked kneeling to the crashing waves... usually the entry going down the slope is easier than the exit going up.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom