Equalization education is poorly taught.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I struggle with equalizing my ears a lot, and almost always end up will an ear full of water for a few days. As a child I had a lot of ear infections and ended up having tubes put in both ears. My ENT isn’t a diver but believes the tubes slightly stretched my ear canals which is why I end up always having flooded ears. He asked if mine were plastic or metal which I couldn’t remember as they were when I was really young. He said is they were the metal version it may has stretched my canal a tad more than normal. I also have typically longer descents since I struggle with equalizing. I’ll have to go up and down a few times before I can actually make it down to the group.

I struggle with equalizing my ears a lot, and almost always end up will an ear full of water for a few days. As a child I had a lot of ear infections and ended up having tubes put in both ears. My ENT isn’t a diver but believes the tubes slightly stretched my ear canals which is why I end up always having flooded ears. He asked if mine were plastic or metal which I couldn’t remember as they were when I was really young. He said is they were the metal version it may has stretched my canal a tad more than normal. I also have typically longer descents since I struggle with equalizing. I’ll have to go up and down a few times before I can actually make it down to the group.

Do you equalize on the surface?

Equalize early and often even on the surface before the descent , and chewing gum helps also.

Do you equalize on the surface?
I do on the surface before I start my decent while in the water. I’m usually fine until around 15ish ft and I start to have trouble. Turning my head sideways while trying to equalize helps but then I usually get that flooded ear feeling and have had short term vertigo while my ears fill unevenly. Usually goes away after a few seconds.

I do on the surface before I start my decent while in the water. I’m usually fine until around 15ish ft and I start to have trouble. Turning my head sideways while trying to equalize helps but then I usually get that flooded ear feeling and have had short term vertigo while my ears fill unevenly. Usually goes away after a few seconds.

Equalize in your room, when, you are at work, whenever you think of it. Do it more often as a trip approaches. Do it the way you would if equalizing on an airplane . . .jaw thrust, swallow, etc., however you do it on the plane. Your ears should click.

It trains your ears (eustachian tubes) it's just like exercising other parts of your body.

Then the morning of your dives, do it in your room, as you walk to the boat, on the boat, just before you roll and again as descending. I also exhale through my nose during backroll but that may not be right for everyone. As you descend, take shorter breaths, equalizing between each one, (gently gently). If you feel one ear more slow than the other stop and turn that ear to the surface as you equalize (keep in mind that your body is horizontal and turn head so ear up, this is more difficult to do from a vertical position) Don't descend further until the errant ear catches up. Another thing that you can do at the same time, with your neck extended, is take your pointer and middle finger, press them under your ear, just behind jaw joint and as you lightly press, pull your fingers down towards your esophagus as if your fingers intend to meet up with your collarbones at the base of your neck. This also serves to help open up the eustachian tubes.

I've seen that advice often. Does it actually do anything or is it psychological?

Lol, it really does something.

I've seen that advice often. Does it actually do anything or is it psychological?

yes equalizing on the surface helps me, especially when snorkeling. If I pressurize the ears immediately before descent the excess pressure remains in the ears for a few seconds - enough time for me to begin my descent.

This allows me to be over pressurized for a few feet depth and allows me to descend to 10-12 feet before feeling any need for the next equalization. It also allows me to do an arm stroke down to that depth, before having to grab my nose, which is another big benefit.

yes equalizing on the surface helps me, especially when snorkeling. If I pressurize the ears immediately before descent the excess pressure remains in the ears for a few seconds - enough time for me to begin my descent.

This allows me to be over pressurized for a few feet depth and allows me to descend to 10-12 feet before feeling any need for the next equalization. It also allows me to do an arm stroke down to that depth, before having to grab my nose, which is another big benefit.
Interesting. I was not aware of that, thanks.

Is water flooding the ear channel (hence the water reaches the timpanic membrane from outside, but does net enter in medium ear cavity) or is the water going through the Eustachian tube, flooding the medium ear?
The first case is quite normal, I usually flood both ears as I dive, leaving surface, and I empty them after emerging.
It should cause no problem.
Instead if water goes inside medium ear it can easily cause irritation, infections and temporary hearing loss.
Albeit flooding medium ear is done by purpose by some deep free divers, I would recommend to avoid it.
It can also cause vertigo and loss of orientation...
However it is not clear how this is happening to you. It is not easy for water to penetrate inside your nose and reach the medium ear through the Eustachian tube.
Are you sure that your timpanic membrane is perfectly waterproof? If there is a tiny hole, consequence of your jouvenile othitis, this can allow water to flow in.
In this case you need some surgery (timpanoplastic).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom