For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’re right on the cusp so either one, but I would probably say large just because it would fill out your back a little better.
@Eric Sedletzky OK, thanks, then please change my order (post #258) to a LARGE, satin SS, with wedge block. We appreciate your contributions to better diving!

The problem is the rail has trouble working with wings that have roll control cushions like VDH and Oxycheq because the foot of the rail is too wide and won’t fit down in between the roll cushions.
So instead of telling people to cut the roll control cushions off of their nice expensive wings just so they can use the rail, I made use out of the roll cushions that come factory on those wings and incorporated them as an integral part of the design. If you want some angle to the tank I make a simple wedge that bolts on over the wing on the bottom and kicks out the bottom of the tank a few degrees for comfort. Some people can’t tell the difference and some people swear by them. The rail has now been designated as an “adapter” bracket for wings with no roll control cushions, or if the slots don’t line up, or if the wing has no slots at all.
Perfect, I am in for one medium and one small with wedge for both, no rails.

There is an advantage, for me anyway, to the rail. I have 7lbs clamped under the rail and it does a good job as an STA or more like an TS (tank stabilizer) now if Eric would make some of the 10 lb FP’s I would buy one!

I have traveled with the SS FP without the rail and a home made spacer at the bottom but now have a second aluminum FP for travel, it came with a rail but I’ve switched to a wedge which is the perfect solution for keeping the weight down. My buddy has the light weight SS travel plate which is a great concept and I would give up the aluminum plate for one of those.

I may have missed this somewhere in the thread, but does anyone have any pictures of the wedge on their FP? Curious if it is something I should add. Thanks!

There is an advantage, for me anyway, to the rail. I have 7lbs clamped under the rail and it does a good job as an STA or more like an TS (tank stabilizer) now if Eric would make some of the 10 lb FP’s I would buy one!

I have traveled with the SS FP without the rail and a home made spacer at the bottom but now have a second aluminum FP for travel, it came with a rail but I’ve switched to a wedge which is the perfect solution for keeping the weight down. My buddy has the light weight SS travel plate which is a great concept and I would give up the aluminum plate for one of those.
Do you think the thin s/s is a better alternative to aluminum products?
I’m kind of taking a poll of sorts and asking for feedback from people who have used or seen the thin stainless version. I personally like it better than aluminum even though aluminum is a few oz’s lighter, I’m wondering if that really matters? (in the real world, not the virtual SB hair splitting world).

I’m kind of taking a poll of sorts and asking for feedback from people who have used or seen the thin stainless version. I personally like it better than aluminum even though aluminum is a few oz’s lighter, I’m wondering if that really matters? (in the real world, not the virtual SB hair splitting world).
Having seen and felt both I think I would prefer the thin stainless, it seemed just as light (his a standard, mine a long) less displacement so probably more negative in the water although virtually insignificant, it’s more corrosion resistant and a little tougher. I’m totally fine with the aluminum but think there are some actual advantages to SS.

Yes. Considering the thin SS and AL backplates weigh almost the same in air-the advantage of higher specific gravity of SS will show in the water. Al will displace a good portion of it's own weight in saltwater (specific gravity of only 2.5) where stainless has a much higher specific gravity (7.95)

E.g. all other things being equal, you have a 2lb Al backplate vs. a 2lb SS plate, you could take 2lbs of ballast off with the SS and almost nothing off with the AL.

I welcome any corrections to my figures, I could be looking at it all wrong.

I’ll also be offering a stainless version of the wedge in this next run. I don’t know about pricing yet but I’ll get it figured out and post it.
Make it a solid 3” wide chunk that weighs 5 lbs and I’m in :cool:

Back
Top Bottom