Overhaul standard Aqualung Inflator - where to start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, my BCD is now about 4 years old, and even though it has been lightly used and well cleaned, it's time (if not overdue) to overhaul the inflator. Nothing is wrong with it, works perfectly and nothing sticks. But prevention is better than cure.

Where does one start with the standard Aqualung inflator? I have no service information for this, and looking at it, assume some tools may (or may not) be necessary. Obviously an allen key, and something to go in the 4 pin-holes on the other side where the inflate button is found. If anyone happens to know of service instructions for one of these, that would help me a lot. Pictures attached.....

IMG_20200121_153024721.jpg

IMG_20200121_153034159.jpg
IMG_20200121_153042656.jpg

One special tool, a large Schrader tool, hex keys, and service kit has more than just several different o-rings: Larger than usual Schrader valve, gasket, two filters, and a special poppet for the shoulder dump valve.

So if you can’t get your hands on all those plus a service manual, it is probably a lot less hassle to just bring it in for service.

Also, at least one recall service bulletin to be checked for replacement parts if needed.

Be very careful!!!!!
This inflator has around 20 something parts. Most are fragile and made of plastic. Compared to my old Halcyon precision inflator it is garbage.
North East scuba supply has a 3/4 adaptor hose that you can use to convert this to a stand K valve if you so please. (that's what I would so if I lived in the US)

I sourced all the orings from my local bearing store and you will find the sizes in the below link

Aqualung powerline inflator oring sizes

12'' Corrugated Adapter Hose

Thanks everyone for the feedback, appreciated. A few options there that I will be looking at, so that's good. Thx again

I would disagree with your statement about prevention is better than cure when it comes to something like this...if it’s working now, it’ll likely work on your next dive. If you try to replace the working part, there’s more of a chance of it not working. Wait till you have a reason to repair it before taking it apart. I’d you’re getting the itch to play with scuba gear, go buy an old reg and overhaul it.

edit: I should say this is my opinion and you are free to do what you want, etc.

These inflators are pretty easy to service and put back together. If you don’t have all the replacement parts then at least cleaning and reassembling should be beneficial. Learning how these things work is useful.
The most important thing to check is the inflator button and make sure the mechanism is clean and operates smoothly. If it hasn’t been serviced in a while and gets stuck and jammed open while you are diving then you have a significant problem. At least check this bit.
Have a go. If you stuff up and completely destroy the unit then just go buy a new one. They’re not expensive.

Back
Top Bottom