Atomic B2 as O2 Deco Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Do the titanium air barrel and titanium orifice in the B2 second stage pose any problems in using it as a deco regulator with 100% O2?

Also, is the use of the Monel alloy a marketing tool or does it have a practical benefit over the stainless steel counterparts? I don't mean theoretical, I mean in a practical sense. For example in the bicycle industry ceramic bearings have become the rage in hubs and anything onto which an axle rotates. However, at the power/RPMS that a human generates on a bicycle, their benefits are VASTLY overstated. Is Monel the material attempting to solve a problem that doesn't exist?

Thank you,
O.

Monel is a nickel-copper alloy and is harder to ignite than stainless steel. It also has a slower rate of combustion than stainless steel. So yes there is a practical benefit because the piston sees high pressure. That said many 100% O2 regs have a stainless steel piston.

As for the titanium barrel and orifice on the B2 second stage. The barrel is not really an issue but the orifice is a potential issue. But the gas is at low pressure which reduces the potential issue.

My rigging is such that my M1 goes on my 100% O2 cylinder, if I have a second deco bottle my B2 first/Z2 second goes on it. With the idea that if I had a real ah **** during the dive I can use that reg on my O2 bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom