Rescue this morning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GameChanger

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone hear about anything about a group of stranded divers getting rescued by the MX Coast Guard on the north end this morning?

Anyone hear about anything about a group of stranded divers getting rescued by the MX Coast Guard on the north end this morning?

Nope... Because there is no such thing as the "MX Coast Guard". You get blown off of a Coz northern reef which has the strongest currents in the entire Caribbean and get separated from your group no one is going to be looking for you other than your dive boat and you are going to be drifting fast. If you are diving the northern sites and your dive boat sinks for any reason before the captain can radio for help, everyone's destiny on that boat is a surface drift to somewhere in Gulf of Mexico in 24 hours search and rescue is looking for floating soccer balls over an area that is size of Texas. I'll NEVER dive those northern sites even if there may be swimming unicorns to be seen. Just 'cause a dive op will take you there, doesn't mean you should dive there.

Seen it on Facebook too - sounds like shore diving from the Peninisula Grand???

I don't care for Barracuda at all. But when we dive Northern site both my wife and I carry Nautilus locators (mine has marine radio), signal mirrors, flashlights and SMBs. You need to be able to save yourself.

I don't care for Barracuda at all. But when we dive Northern site both my wife and I carry Nautilus locators (mine has marine radio), signal mirrors, flashlights and SMBs. You need to be able to save yourself.

I say don't dive those northern reefs with ANY dive op no matter how highly regarded the dive ops are that will take you there. It's a free world and we are all are free to do as we will but I won't be diving those sites because I have far higher value sites on my weighted my risk/reward global bucket list that I want to see. That's all I have to say.

There is a lot of chatter on one FB thread, 69 comments, but no one knew much. Some said that a group of divers surfaced north of Coral Princess, no dive boat around, and seemed to be drifting away from the island. A local navy boat (there is no Mexican coast guard) and three others were seen going to rescue the drifters. Photos and chatter at Denise Shannon

Nope... Because there is no such thing as the "MX Coast Guard". You get blown off of a Coz northern reef which has the strongest currents in the entire Caribbean and get separated from your group no one is going to be looking for you other than your dive boat and you are going to be drifting fast. If you are diving the northern sites and your dive boat sinks for any reason before the captain can radio for help, everyone's destiny on that boat is a surface drift to somewhere in Gulf of Mexico in 24 hours search and rescue is looking for floating soccer balls over an area that is size of Texas. I'll NEVER dive those northern sites even if there may be swimming unicorns to be seen. Just 'cause a dive op will take you there, doesn't mean you should dive there.

Yes, I just read some local Facebook thread, without out any helpful information, as well as some very ignorant comments. There may have been rescue drills happening today. I do not know at this time, if this report from someone on shore seeing divers on the surface "with no boat near by" was a drill or not. I have been diving here for almost 40 years , and living here permanently for almost 10. Diving "up north", is just fine, Dive with experienced operators- dive from a boat with all the proper gear/communications- pick your days- don't take other divers that have little experience- if conditions are iffy- abort. PLAN your dive.... Stay with your group..(as closely as you can to same depth, due to wildly variable currents). everyone take a surface marker..Have fun BE SAFE ! The winds Changed drastically today, (well foretasted), cold front, with Winds from the N & NW. usually a 3 day event... Listen & learn from the long time local , experienced experts. I am not yet one of those experts ! I am referring to the many other qualified professionals here, on the island.

Back
Top Bottom