The gerber caddy, because my back hurts!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
Next up (it's been a while since I made something) is a way to get your gear to the water. I blew my usual max budget of $5 per project clean out of the water. I think I spent about $30 on this one.

Your first step is to take up jogging. Let's face it, we're all getting older and you could probably use the exercise.

The next step is to have a kid. I'm not posting a DIY on that part but I bet if you google it you'll get a few hits. But now that you're all in shape and sexi-fide it will be easier.

Anyway, someone around you will say "Hey, they like to jog AND they just had a baby. So let's get them a jogging baby stroller! Perfect logic really. Eventually though, the kid will grow up and now you just have a useless baby stroller in the garage. What to do? Well, heck, fortunately for you I'm here to help!

So let's start with the stroller! (Alternatively you can find these used pretty cheap at your local goodwill).
20200117_212846.jpg

Your first step of the build is just to grab a screw driver. All the cloth parts are generally held on with brackets and screws. Remove them and you'll end up with just the frame, which is all we want (and the wheels of course).

After that you head over to your PVC pipe pile (if you're reading one of my posts and DON'T have a pvc pile, I just don't think I can help you).

Anyway your gear is likely a different measurement than mine so you'll have to figure that out on your own. But you want to build something similar to this.
20200119_140006.jpg

During my testing I found the 1/2 PVC I was using flexed a bit, I ended up finding a wooden dowel that fit pretty snuggly inside and used that for reinforcement. I shot some expanding foam in there as well, because my testosterone demanded it. Glued it all up with PVC glue and so far, no problems.

Attach PVC to frame. And VOILA! Which is itallian for "pretty cool". No more achy back before you even get geared up.

20200119_155552.jpg

You'll want to position it so most of the weight is over the rear wheels. If you're too far forward steering is difficult. Imagine where the baby would go and center around that point. I'm just using a little paracord for now to keep it from sliding or tilting.

I left the lower basket in place for incidentals, and my dive bag sits on top of the tanks pretty well. And it still folds up.
20200118_174517.jpg

BUT WAIT! You say! What if I don't need to haul 2 tanks at a time. What if I only need 1 tank at a time and I recently gave up golf?

Good for you, because golf is a silly game. But you have some extra gear laying around don't you? Kind of like those 2 bag carriers you see floating around in some of my pics... what to do, what to do...?

Let's make something!
First take up and then give up on a long walk with little balls. (take that however you want, but stop being such a guttermind)

Remove your little stick collection from your stick collection doohickey. You'll notice that if you move the upper support down a bit (drill a new hole to attach it) that it makes a really snazzy tank holder with straps to hold it all together.

20200119_155730.jpg

And if you're like me you use a backpack style gear bag. So head back to your PVC pile (you do have one now don't you?) And make a little frame as above.

20200119_155829.jpg

All told I have less than $50 in these, counting actually buying the stroller and bag carrier at goodwill. Most of my dives are of the "Hey guy I'm about to tip, this stuff is heavy" variety. But some involve a bit of a hike and my daughter is a bit young to make do a forced death march. So her mother often being the necessity of my inventions... :)

They use something similar at the range to transport guns around the Clay course.

They use something similar at the range to transport guns around the Clay course.
I love some of the custom gun carts people have done for 3 gun competitions. I wonder how hard it would be to convert a walking golf cart to hold scuba equipment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom