Thoughts after my first time with Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem this year is the new port captain. Over time we hope to explain the reality of the east side during nortes but at this particular point in time are not willing to risk jail or loss of park permits. Hope we (pardon me) they can fix that soon. For the last 15 years we/they have done so but right now, maybe not.

Pease forgive as it is not Aldora's fault right now.

Dave Dillehay

PS when the wind splits the island like North East, Aldora can't dive the other side even if the port captain is stupid.

Thnx for sharing

With regard to the Aldora's East Side diving when the port was
The problem this year is the new port captain. Over time we hope to explain the reality of the east side during nortes but at this particular point in time are not willing to risk jail or loss of park permits. Hope we (pardon me) they can fix that soon. For the last 15 years we/they have done so but right now, maybe not. Pease forgive as it is not Aldora's fault right now.
Dave Dillehay

Dave, I heard the reason Aldora no longer parks their boats on the east side and circumnavigates the official port closures (which means the entire island) is because Aldora recently got slammed with a 20,000 Peso fine for doing so. I realize you have divested 100% of your interest in Aldora and no longer have any skin in this game but perhaps you can shed some truth about this fine that was supposedly assessed and paid and made the new owners change their practices?

Also note that I haven't dived with any of the other big tank ops on the island. For my next trip, I'll probably give Tres Pelicanos a try unless Aldora can assure me I'll be going to some sites I haven't seen yet.

You might look at Living Underwater. Big tanks, I have read that they let everyone dive their air. Communication is an issue, though. Next time I try to dive with them, I will make sure their boat is open before I book my airline tickets.

The trick is, if you're an air hog, just stay 10 feet higher than everyone else on the dive. You don't really need to be right on the bottom anyway, at least not the whole dive.

Do this in the current, and you might end up a half mile ahead of your group - especially if you are a large profile (like me). At some point, you will have to dip down below a barrel sponge or reef edge and let everyone catch up. At that point, what is gained?

Both ops I have dove with have let me go up by myself. One would should an smb with a little air in it (before I got my own smb) and then pull it back down when I surfaced. The boats follow the bubbles as best they can. The captains are great about spotting divers, too. It's possible to be hit by a boat, but I think it's improbable. The captains know where people are (reef location, other boats, time of day) and I don't see them zooming by when I have come up.

You might look at Living Underwater. Big tanks, I have read that they let everyone dive their air. Communication is an issue, though. Next time I try to dive with them, I will make sure their boat is open before I book my airline tickets.

Do this in the current, and you might end up a half mile ahead of your group - especially if you are a large profile (like me
). At some point, you will have to dip down below a barrel sponge or reef edge and let everyone catch up. At that point, what is gained?

Both ops I have dove with have let me go up by myself. One would should an smb with a little air in it (before I got my own smb) and then pull it back down when I surfaced. The boats follow the bubbles as best they can. The captains are great about spotting divers, too. It's possible to be hit by a boat, but I think it's improbable. The captains know where people are (reef location, other boats, time of day) and I don't see them zooming by when I have come up.

It doesn’t make any difference how big you are when diving in a current. The only time it will make a difference is if you hold onto something or try to go the opposite way like into the current. If you are going to swim into the current then good trim is important. Without it you are like a sail. If moving with the current size doesn’t matter.

It doesn’t make any difference how big you are when diving in a current. The only time it will make a difference is if you hold onto something or try to go the opposite way like into the current. If you are going to swim into the current then good trim is important. Without it you are like a sail. If moving with the current size doesn’t matter.
Size certainly does matter....google “drag”

The problem this year is the new port captain. Over time we hope to explain the reality of the east side during nortes but at this particular point in time are not willing to risk jail or loss of park permits. Hope we (pardon me) they can fix that soon. For the last 15 years we/they have done so but right now, maybe not.

Pease forgive as it is not Aldora's fault right now.

Dave Dillehay

PS when the wind splits the island like North East, Aldora can't dive the other side even if the port captain is stupid.
Wait a minute Dave - a few days ago you were defending and supporting her when I dared to share my opinion of her qualifications - now you're calling her stupid - So what is it?

That's true; however, because the reef is not moving with the current it slows the current down the closer you get to it. If you are 10 or 15 feet above the rest of the group you will be moving faster than they are, especially if they are stopping to look at stuff.

Wait a minute Dave - a few days ago you were defending and supporting her when I dared to share my opinion of her qualifications - now you're calling her stupid - So what is it?

Whoa Christi, Where did I call her stupid?

BTW, earlier this month when the herd descended on her office with torches and pitchforks for closing the port in the morning while it was still calm, the best models we had were predicting that between 12 noon and 3 PM a strong norte would hit. Part of your argument was that Isla Mujeres was still open.

I believe she was worried that it would hit while the morning boats were still out. Well it did hit at 2:45 and it was strong. How can you fault her for that?

Oh, and as for Isla Mujeres that day...a boat sank with a bunch of tourists on board.

And yes, I defend her when appropriate, and also recognize the stress she may be under on a new job.

Dave Dillehay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom