Trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an upcoming trip to Roatan in April at Anthony’s Key Resort. Can anyone tell me about any hidden fees. Like costs of drinks. Sodas,beer, mixed drinks, etc.
Also is it safe to go to town? Is there any kind of grocery store nearby? Can you take stuff onto the Resort like maybe a case of beer or soda to keep in your room. I am trying to figure how much cash I will need to take. Thanks everyone.
We were there in Sept and loved it, in fact we are returning in Sept again. The place was in fact made for me as my drink of choice is iced Tea and that is available in unlimited quantities...I would fill several Yetis at the restaurant and also kept a pitcher in the fridge in the room. Other drinks cost but I don't believe they were exorbitant. We only went to West End or Bay not sure which, once and it was worth about an hour to see the whole thing, had friend whof visited the Sloth sanctuary and they loved it. Enjoy your trip

Stayed at AKR back in the mid nineties, sounds like it hasn't changed a bit. We never left the resort on that trip. In June 2018, me my wife and our three teenage children rented house in the Sandy Bay area just out side of the AKR grounds. We drove all around the island, grocery shopped in Coxen Hole, wandered around in West End and West Bay. Walked down to and back from a couple near by restaurants in the early evening. Did not go to Coxen Hole at night. We never felt unsafe. Always be vigilant, and never flaunt your wealth. That being said, there are armed guards at gas stations, grocery stores, ATM machines, and they are likely there for a reason. It is a poor country and there is much property crime. Several "low value" items were stolen from the gated area under the house during our stay, they used long poles with hooks to swipe, ironically, fishing poles.

We were there in Sept and loved it, in fact we are returning in Sept again. The place was in fact made for me as my drink of choice is iced Tea and that is available in unlimited quantities...I would fill several Yetis at the restaurant and also kept a pitcher in the fridge in the room. Other drinks cost but I don't believe they were exorbitant. We only went to West End or Bay not sure which, once and it was worth about an hour to see the whole thing, had friend whof visited the Sloth sanctuary and they loved it. Enjoy your trip

You can tell the difference between the two fairly easily. If there was a very beautiful white sand beach, oceanside of the whole place, then you were at West Bay. If there was a main road running all along oceanside, then you were in West End

Reactions: Doc
I have an upcoming trip to Roatan in April at Anthony’s Key Resort. Can anyone tell me about any hidden fees. Like costs of drinks. Sodas,beer, mixed drinks, etc.

Also is it safe to go to town? Is there any kind of grocery store nearby? Can you take stuff onto the Resort like maybe a case of beer or soda to keep in your room. I am trying to figure how much cash I will need to take. Thanks everyone.

1. Drinks: I had a cab take me to town and I bought liquor and beer there. I took that to dinner or the pool and spiked my drinks. They also have a very affordable 2for1 HH daily for 1 or 2 hrs, I do not recall.
  2. Hidden Fees: They were awesome about not nickel and diming, they gave us dive computer for free when my wife’s failed. DM and crew gratuities are not included.
  3. With Honduras being as dangerous as it is, we only went to town to the store and we did not pay the cab driver until he got us back to Anthony’s. Spanish is my 1st language, I am almost fearless and I still would not venture out if that tells you anything.
  4. There is no store nearby, but a cab can take u easily. To buy liquor and sodas.
  5. One week, I would take $100 pp for scuba gratuity (6d scuba x3 dives/d, or approx. $5 per dive). I would take another $200 for the cab, any groceries/liquor. $400 is my swag.

Enjoy the diving, its very nice. I saw things there I had not seen in 20+ yrs like the sharp tail eels.

Here’s my video from the 2015 trip to Anthonys.

1. Drinks: I had a cab take me to town and I bought liquor and beer there. I took that to dinner or the pool and spiked my drinks. They also have a very affordable 2for1 HH daily for 1 or 2 hrs, I do not recall.
  2. Hidden Fees: They were awesome about not nickel and diming, they gave us dive computer for free when my wife’s failed. DM and crew gratuities are not included.
  3. With Honduras being as dangerous as it is, we only went to town to the store and we did not pay the cab driver until he got us back to Anthony’s. Spanish is my 1st language, I am almost fearless and I still would not venture out if that tells you anything.
  4. There is no store nearby, but a cab can take u easily. To buy liquor and sodas.
  5. One week, I would take $100 pp for scuba gratuity (6d scuba x3 dives/d, or approx. $5 per dive). I would take another $200 for the cab, any groceries/liquor. $400 is my swag.
Enjoy the diving, its very nice. I saw things there I had not seen in 20+ yrs like the sharp tail eels.

Here’s my video from the 2015 trip to Anthonys.

There's a grocery store in WestEnd and a few little stores here and there as well. You needn't be afraid to grab a cab and go into town. It's Coxen Hole that's not so great but I don't think that I would be terribly afraid during daylight hours. Not ideal in all areas of town or at night. That said, my friend and I did get taken into town one night for a street party, a few years back and that was really fun. Of course, we were with some local people and while I probably wouldn't have been brave enough to go without them, it didn't seem overly frightening in anyway. Coxen Hole just isn't an attractive place. People are poor. Yes, there is crime on the island but it's not as bad as the mainland. There are things to watch out for but I would not be stressed to get a cab from Anthony's to WestEnd and back.

Oh, also, there's a big store mall type thing just before you get to Coxen Hole from Anthony's, so I wouldn't have thought that a person even had to go all the way into Coxen Hole to get booze and snacks.

And there used to be a store on the highway near Lawson's which is much closer to Anthony's, rather than going all the way to Coxen Hole in any event.

Or you could stop for stuff on your way from the airport but I think it would be a shame to miss a stroll in WestEnd.

Eldon's is a "mega" grocery store in Coxen Hole. We took a cab there on our first trip to stock up on beer, liquor, and snacks. Coxen Hole seemed safe enough in the daytime but not a place I'd be interested in walking around.

Why buy beer and liquor if it's already included? Well, first of all the bar may open later than you want to start or close before you are ready to stop. You may also prefer to have a few beers laying in the hammock by your room or in your room or down on the dock.

However, we soon realized you can just buy a bunch of extra beers at one of the happy hours and they will be glad to not open them and put them in a box for you. Almost as cheap as at the grocery and much more convenient.

We usually cab to West End to spend Friday afternoon walking around and offgassing at a waterfront bar. There's also a smaller grocery store there. Always felt safe.

Not really "hidden" charges because they are upfront and clear, but it's an extra cost for nitrox or the shark dive, instruction classes, excursions like ziplining or horseback riding, services like manicures and massages, premium drinks, and of course tips. They will "soft sell" you on those things but not pushy at all.

Why buy beer and liquor if it's already included? Well, first of all the bar may open later than you want to start or close before you are ready to stop. You may also prefer to have a few beers laying in the hammock by your room or in your room or down on the dock.

Agree. I liked not having to go all the way to the bar. I enjoyed have a drink on the back deck with my wife and no one else around. And I liked making my own drink my own way.

Parrot-png.jpg

Back
Top Bottom