Got certified, now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Fluff's Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I'm from AZ. My other half and I got certified and wanted to immerse ourselves into scuba. Now since we're certified Advanced Open Water with some dives under our belt, we are kind of scratching our heads as to where to start on. We do have a trip to the Caymans upcoming but I'm particularly interested in what some of you did to get more dives in that didn't involve getting another certification?

I was thinking maybe my buddy and I should get out to our local lake and start refining the basics. Perhaps our kicks and work on some navigation or get our weight dialed in. I do believe I'm overweighed. Are there any particular drills or dives a new diver should be doing to get more experience and comfortable in the water with their buddy?

Now go get a Shearwater Teric/Perdix!!

On a serious note, just get more diving done and fine tuning everything from your kicks, drills and weighting.

What i like to do during my pool sessions (nearest dive site is kinda far away) is to do my buoyancy tuning, reg recovery, mask clearing and BC removal. After all that, i'd just focus on my fining.

Your ideas for refining skills at the lake are what I'd do. Start with the standard weight check (you know you'll add 5-6 pounds going fresh to salt water). Dive a lot, practice hovering. At some point consider the Rescue course.

We have been looking at computers!

Thank you on the advice! Just as I thought I need to refine the basics. :)
Its important to not rush into gear and courses, getting comfortable UW and doing your drills flawlessly is key to being a better diver. Remember that an OW student with 300 dives will always outshine an AOW student with 25 dives.

Its important to not rush into gear and courses, getting comfortable UW and doing your drills flawlessly is key to being a better diver. Remember that an OW student with 300 dives will always outshine an AOW student with 25 dives.
Based on what the weekly rental rates here lol I think I’d be pretty close to having all my gear in a month. I’d like to hold off on making the big purchases but $385 a week to rent gear here locally, I may as well start with at least getting my reg.

Lake Pleasant sucks, but it's good practice. I'll swing up to put hours on my CCR before a big cave trip, and it's definitely a good place to practice skills. It's pretty chilly this time of year. If you're not in a drysuit, it's not comfortable.

Based on what the weekly rental rates here lol I think I’d be pretty close to having all my gear in a month. I’d like to hold off on making the big purchases but $385 a week to rent gear here locally, I may as well start with at least getting my reg.
OUCH, a full set is bout 20 dollars from where i'm at :D

Hello! I'm from AZ. My other half and I got certified and wanted to immerse ourselves into scuba. Now since we're certified Advanced Open Water with some dives under our belt, we are kind of scratching our heads as to where to start on. We do have a trip to the Caymans upcoming but I'm particularly interested in what some of you did to get more dives in that didn't involve getting another certification?

I was thinking maybe my buddy and I should get out to our local lake and start refining the basics. Perhaps our kicks and work on some navigation or get our weight dialed in. I do believe I'm overweighed. Are there any particular drills or dives a new diver should be doing to get more experience and comfortable in the water with their buddy?
Just remember why you started diving in the first place. Keep it fun and you’ll continue, turn diving into a chore and it won’t last.

Back
Top Bottom