Tubbataha - worth it or wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sooooo... I finally managed to convince husband that Tubbataha is THE place to dive, but before I finalise the booking, please help:

Right now it looks like: April 9-15 2020 MV Dolphin (6 n/5 days of diving).

1: Is April 9-15 an ok time in Tubbataha?
Or is it better to wait until later April/beginning May? - problems with the crossing or pelagic not there yet? Or they’re always there?

2: is 5 diving days enough in Tubbataha?

3: has anyone been on MV Dolphin?

If we don’t go this year, I think we’ll not be able to go before Easter 2022.

Thanks!

I think your dates in April should be fine---it's usually the first couple of weeks in March and the last couple of weeks in June that have the iffy weather---but there are no guarantees with Mother Nature. I'm booked on the Stella Maris for the last week in May because that was the time slot I needed for other diving committed to after that. I would have liked mid-April to early May but I think we'll both be fine--hopefully. I looked at the Dolphin but it was booked for when I needed to go and the Stella is a bit bigger and may be able to handle rough seas a little better if we encounter them. Enjoy and good diving!

Sooooo... I finally managed to convince husband that Tubbataha is THE place to dive, but before I finalise the booking, please help:

Can't remember if you and Hubby met the Lockies on our Dhows, either PM me or reach out to them on the Dhow Whatsapp group, they've lots of experience there

Thank you for all your replies!

We’ve decided to wait with Tubbataha for several reasons, one being the short time we would have in Philippines. But most important was that our little one had a wish to go back to Thailand. We’ll combine with Cambodia (Angkor Wat, that she’s also excited about, as she’s learning about ancient civilisations at school).

Then we’ll do a 4 day LOB to Similan/Koh Bon/Koh Tarchai/Richelieu Rock- I know the diving is no where near Philippines, but last time our daughter loved the boat, and she’s looking forward to meet our friends (Swedish/Thai coupe running the LOB) and I know we’ll have one of the best guides in the area:)

So I’ll jump to the Thailand forum for guidance on our last 7 days:)

Back
Top Bottom