My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was considering doing Helitrox with my AN/DP course, that just made my mind up.

I only wish somebody would have told me sooner so I didn't make the mistake of not doing helitrox.

Even if you don't use it a ton, there will be a day/dive where you go, "well $hit, i wish i had trimix for this". It's frustrating when all your buddies are on trimix and you're 150' on air/25% praying there is no current.

So, like.....a certified deco procedures diver should be?

Indeed they should be. That being said, not all course graduates are created equal. Some will unfortunately have been diving for some time after the course, normalisation of deviance is a thing. In a perfect world they will be better than they were on course, we don’t live in a perfect world sadly.

That’s why we have evaluation dives before starting the course.

helitrox.
I’m in the same boat. My original AN/DP instructor cannot teach helitrox, so I have to find someone else and do the full thing just to be able to put a bit of helium in to take the edge off the narcosis.

I only wish somebody would have told me sooner so I didn't make the mistake of not doing helitrox.

Even if you don't use it a ton, there will be a day/dive where you go, "well $hit, i wish i had trimix for this". It's frustrating when all your buddies are on trimix and you're 150' on air/25% praying there is no current.

Would Helitrox have even been an option with your AN/DP instructor?

This is an interesting discussion on the courses mentioned.
Anything above nitro (Adv EANx, DP, Helio, Trimix) are all advanced courses and require a committed diver. IMO only people who are comfortable in the water and have considerable experience should take these courses.

This is a short conversation. Suit gas? Add an inflator bottle. I'm pretty sure any intro to tech diver knows helium mixtures are a no go on drysuits.
You would thinks so, but alas that's not the case (this comes up about every other year)

Body Temp Issues -- Freezing...

Anything above nitro (Adv EANx, DP, Helio, Trimix) are all advanced courses and require a committed diver. IMO only people who are comfortable in the water and have considerable experience should take these courses.

I think the minimum number of dives required is rather low. 25 for AN/DP. 50 for Helitrox. 100 for Trimix. 100 for Advanced Trimix, 25 of which must be deeper than 100ft.

Would Helitrox have even been an option with your AN/DP instructor?

It was! To this day I am still frustrated he didnt mention it.

Concurred.

You would thinks so, but alas that's not the case (this comes up about every other year)

Body Temp Issues -- Freezing...

You know. I guess I stand corrected....wow I wish I didn't even have to say that, but then again I've seen rebreather divers with less dives than me, and I'm far from super experienced (175 dives)

It was! To this day I am still frustrated he didnt mention it.

You know. I guess I stand corrected....wow I wish I didn't even have to say that, but then again I've seen rebreather divers with less dives than me, and I'm far from super experienced (175 dives)

Argh. That would be frustrating then!

I’m at 250 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom