My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be cool to be able to cross over to helitrox without going through the whole helitrox course. But, I'm obviously not an instructor or trimix diver so I dont know if a student would need to be watched on a dive using helitrox since they are already certified for deco, like a nitrox course for an AOW diver.

See my above post. 4 dives are required. It’s not like your basic Nitrox course where you don’t need to do dives. More involved.

See my above post. 4 dives are required. It’s not like your basic Nitrox course where you don’t need to do dives. More involved.
But normoxic trimix also requires only four dives, plus the trimix manual with tests. So if you have to do four dives no matter what, what is the point of a stand-alone helitrox course for AN/DP divers? Just the difference in required minimum depth (two dives deeper than 30m for helitrox, or 40m for trimix), or is there more to it?

But normoxic trimix also requires only four dives, plus the trimix manual with tests. So if you have to do four dives no matter what, what is the point of a stand-alone helitrox course for AN/DP divers? Just the difference in required minimum depth (two dives deeper than 30m for helitrox, or 40m for trimix), or is there more to it?

Your choice. If you’re not going to do the 200ft dives for a while, yet want the helium, why not do it now? Do you want to deal with a second deco bottle (Trimix class)?

There is a cost difference looking at one of the people I am considering for my OW tech courses
Helitrox: $950 + gas
Trimix: $2,000 + gas

That being said I'm with you, if I wanted to do an OC helium class would probably just bite the bullet and do Trimix. That way if I ever desire to go deeper I have the training to do start doing it. Though I'd probably wait to do it with CCR before I started adding helium.

It would be cool to be able to cross over to helitrox without going through the whole helitrox course. But, I'm obviously not an instructor or trimix diver so I dont know if a student would need to be watched on a dive using helitrox since they are already certified for deco, like a nitrox course for an AOW diver.
There is a difference in the diving side from nitrox to helium. If a diver has minimal ascent control that might be ok but not pretty on nitrox, helium will not forgive so easily. It’s a fast gas and needs to be respected. That being said, if a diver is properly squared away on their ascents and stops then adding helium is almost all theory, analysis, planning and deco choices. Like a nitrox course.

Your choice. If you’re not going to do the 200ft dives for a while, yet want the helium, why not do it now? Do you want to deal with a second deco bottle (Trimix class)?

Regardless, if the same requirements are in play (4 dives), helitrox is moot because full trimix would be the same cost. The difference is you shoot yourself in the foot and restrict yourself to 18/35 with helitrox. The huge benefit would be if there was a deco procedures to helitrox crossover pathway that was exponentially cheaper than full trimix, which is the whole discussion here.

Plus, I'm already carrying a second deco bottle.

There is a difference in the diving side from nitrox to helium. If a diver has minimal ascent control that might be ok but not pretty on nitrox, helium will not forgive so easily. It’s a fast gas and needs to be respected. That being said, if a diver is properly squared away on their ascents and stops then adding helium is almost all theory, analysis, planning and deco choices. Like a nitrox course.

So, like.....a certified deco procedures diver should be?

Is it not inherent that a diver who passed the DP course is as “squared away on their ascents and stops” as they would ever need to be for any purposes? Who is getting a pass on DP who can’t hit and hold stops as directed? That’s a fundamental tech skill. I would take the position an instructor shouldn’t even accept a DP student unless they have mastered that.

While the upgrade seems like a reasonable thing and really would involve next to no work, I wouldn’t expect it to be done other than by the original DP instructor. What would constitute a pass? How does it get evaluated? Would another instructor just assume that the in water skills were ok? What about suit gas?

Anyone with ANDP who has done a good few dives at that level would really be best off doing a 60m course, two stages isn’t terribly hard, a bit more planning, more time in the water etc. All good.

While the upgrade seems like a reasonable thing and really would involve next to no work, I wouldn’t expect it to be done other than by the original DP instructor. What would constitute a pass? How does it get evaluated? Would another instructor just assume that the in water skills were ok? What about suit gas?

Anyone with ANDP who has done a good few dives at that level would really be best off doing a 60m course, two stages isn’t terribly hard, a bit more planning, more time in the water etc. All good.

This is a short conversation. Suit gas? Add an inflator bottle. I'm pretty sure any intro to tech diver knows helium mixtures are a no go on drysuits.

Eh, sure. I can see 60m being useful for those diving in areas where 60m can be reached, but in that situation, again, you may as well do trimix and get 200' and the ability to ise as much helium as you want. That's pretty much useless for those of us (like myself) limited to 150' by sand (on the deep wrecks), who don't need anything more than 18/35ish? For a more clear mind when penetrating a wreck, and to keep gas density low.

If you make the mistake of doing Deco Procedures and not helitx from the get go, you basically screwed yourself because your most beneficial method of getting trimix is to pay for a full trimix course. Yay!

If you make the mistake of doing Deco Procedures and not helitx from the get go, you basically screwed yourself because your most beneficial method of getting trimix is to pay for a full trimix course. Yay!
I was considering doing Helitrox with my AN/DP course, that just made my mind up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom