Santi: is it really worth the Money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im looking at getting a new dry suit. Let me say that its not very likely that I go with a Santi because of price but I was wondering if there are many people on the board that have dove a Santi and something else like a DUI and feel that the price difference is really worth it. Santi suits look great and I haven't seen really anything negative about them other then the price....but damn they are spendy.

See if you can get a lightly used former Rental suit. They really are very nice, and if you get one that is a good fit you'll be happy.

. . . I haven't seen really anything negative about them other then the price.....

There is at least one thread here where a number of people have complained about leaks, but I believe the thread is now several years old. My understanding is that the original e.Motion suffered from leaks--I have one, and it's earned its share of Aquaseal--and that's one reason why they developed the supposedly improved e.Motion+. There were also reports of zipper delamination on older TiZips, but that too no longer seems to be a problem. If I recall, there have been reports here about leaky Flexsole boots--I know mine have leaked and been patched. The e.Lite seems to have fewer reports of trouble than the e.Motion. Santi is a young company, they have a lot of products, and I think they have their hands full. The only reason I would get another Santi suit when that old e.Motion is finally too full of Aquaseal is because I live within a day's drive of Extreme Exposure, and they take responsibility for making sure everything is right for their customers. If my local dive shop were instead a DUI shop that had a long history with DUI, I might use that shop.

Im looking at getting a new dry suit. Let me say that its not very likely that I go with a Santi because of price but I was wondering if there are many people on the board that have dove a Santi and something else like a DUI and feel that the price difference is really worth it. Santi suits look great and I haven't seen really anything negative about them other then the price....but damn they are spendy.
It sounds like you're saying you think a Santi is more premium and more expensive than DUI. I think that a DUI FLX Extreme and Santi E-Lite are somewhat comparable in quality and price. Personally I like the Santi better but I haven't dived a DUI, just looked at them - a lot of my buddies have one. I also would be wary of buying a DUI now as that company has been going through some problems. Do you already have a drysuit or is this your first? If not your first, what one do you have and what do you like / dislike about it?

I have a Santi E-Lite and I love it. I got it MTM on a very good sale in 2017, and it was still almost $3000, but it included an undergarment and base layer. When I wanted a 2nd drysuit, I just couldn't justify spending that much again (and I couldn't get that good of a deal again). My other suit is a Seaskin Nova.

It's kind of like owning a Lexus and a Hyundai. I now reserve the Santi for boat and tech dives and I take the Nova more on shore dives. That said, the Nova is a decent suit (I had some issues with mine at the beginning but I seem to be in the minority and I think I have those sorted now). I know a few folks with the Seaskin Nova and a few with Ursuits (the more robust model) that are pretty happy with their suits. If you're getting a first drysuit, it is probably better to get one of the cheaper ones, and then if you become a real drysuit connoisseur, get the expensive one later. JMHO.

The Santi boots are a weak point. There are nice velcro straps that snug down the ankles so you don't get floaty feet, and you don't need fin keepers or gaiters. But, the straps wear the suit material prematurely. Mine started leaking after only 80 dives. I have Aquasealed them and they are dry now. Eventually that won't work anymore and I'll have to replace the boots. I hope to get hundreds of dives out of the suit over time, so I plan to keep replacing things and leak testing and repairing it as needed.

The E-Motion fabric doesn't hold up well and gets pinholes from what I've heard from friends who had one. I wouldn't get anything other than an E-Lite (and not the E-lite plus which has a mix of the 2 fabrics on it) if I ever got another Santi.

I have the plastic YKK zipper and I'm happy with it.

I have a local drysuit repair shop that I'm happy with. I bought mine from Dive Right in Scuba and sending it to them for repairs (or to Florida) is also an option.

Santi doesn't care if their stuff wears out prematurely or if you have a problem with it. I've contacted them about the leaky boots (which are a known problem), as well as my Flex 190 which has a problem with the cuffs falling apart (they have since changed the fabric they use to make those cuffs) and they are absolutely no help. So keep that in mind.

(In contrast, Seaskin has been responsive and helpful regarding some leak issues with my Nova).

Although my Santi Enduro has moved to my backup suit, I still gauge all other suits by it. It is totally indestructible and I abuse the hell out of suits. I got 5 years out of it before the zipper started to leak but that was also well over 500 dives on it. I would have a Santi as my primary in a heartbeat if I could get the same deal I got on my first one. I seriously do think they are worth the extra $$, I just did not have it when I needed a new suit.

It sounds like you're saying you think a Santi is more premium and more expensive than DUI. I think that a DUI FLX Extreme and Santi E-Lite are somewhat comparable in quality and price. Personally I like the Santi better but I haven't dived a DUI, just looked at them - a lot of my buddies have one. I also would be wary of buying a DUI now as that company has been going through some problems. Do you already have a drysuit or is this your first? If not your first, what one do you have and what do you like / dislike about it?

I have a Santi E-Lite and I love it. I got it MTM on a very good sale in 2017, and it was still almost $3000, but it included an undergarment and base layer. When I wanted a 2nd drysuit, I just couldn't justify spending that much again (and I couldn't get that good of a deal again). My other suit is a Seaskin Nova.

It's kind of like owning a Lexus and a Hyundai. I now reserve the Santi for boat and tech dives and I take the Nova more on shore dives. That said, the Nova is a decent suit (I had some issues with mine at the beginning but I seem to be in the minority and I think I have those sorted now). I know a few folks with the Seaskin Nova and a few with Ursuits (the more robust model) that are pretty happy with their suits. If you're getting a first drysuit, it is probably better to get one of the cheaper ones, and then if you become a real drysuit connoisseur, get the expensive one later. JMHO.

The Santi boots are a weak point. There are nice velcro straps that snug down the ankles so you don't get floaty feet, and you don't need fin keepers or gaiters. But, the straps wear the suit material prematurely. Mine started leaking after only 80 dives. I have Aquasealed them and they are dry now. Eventually that won't work anymore and I'll have to replace the boots. I hope to get hundreds of dives out of the suit over time, so I plan to keep replacing things and leak testing and repairing it as needed.

The E-Motion fabric doesn't hold up well and gets pinholes from what I've heard from friends who had one. I wouldn't get anything other than an E-Lite (and not the E-lite plus which has a mix of the 2 fabrics on it) if I ever got another Santi.

I have the plastic YKK zipper and I'm happy with it.

I have a local drysuit repair shop that I'm happy with. I bought mine from Dive Right in Scuba and sending it to them for repairs (or to Florida) is also an option.

Santi doesn't care if their stuff wears out prematurely or if you have a problem with it. I've contacted them about the leaky boots (which are a known problem), as well as my Flex 190 which has a problem with the cuffs falling apart (they have since changed the fabric they use to make those cuffs) and they are absolutely no help. So keep that in mind.

(In contrast, Seaskin has been responsive and helpful regarding some leak issues with my Nova).

I was looking at is the DUI FlX Extreme and the Santi E Lite Plus, both made to measure. Front line price is about $700 more for Santi. You add in the DUI trade up promo for sending in my current suit that pushes the price difference to just over $1000. So yeah, i'm looking at the Santi as a more premium option. Im also looking at buying from DRIS and adding their warranty package (basically a null factor in the purchase as the price for that warranty is the same across brands).

This would be my second dry suit purchase. My current suit is a Aqualung Fusion Bullet, I bought used. Likes: Dry suit for dummy's, easy to maintain trim and buoyancy, easy to exhaust, generally easy to dive, neoprene skin keeps you warmer, can dive with less under garments. Cons: hard to put on, hard to dry, limited flexibility, hard to reach valves, once the Velcro starts to go hard to keep the skin in place (fixed in their new models with zippers in place of the velcro but doesn't help me), more bulky to pack for travel.

My LDS has the basic Bare suits in rental, so i have dove those a few times as well.

I was looking at is the DUI FlX Extreme and the Santi E Lite Plus, both made to measure. Front line price is about $700 more for Santi. You add in the DUI trade up promo for sending in my current suit that pushes the price difference to just over $1000. So yeah, i'm looking at the Santi as a more premium option. Im also looking at buying from DRIS and adding their warranty package (basically a null factor in the purchase as the price for that warranty is the same across brands).

This would be my second dry suit purchase. My current suit is a Aqualung Fusion Bullet, I bought used. Likes: Dry suit for dummy's, easy to maintain trim and buoyancy, easy to exhaust, generally easy to dive, neoprene skin keeps you warmer, can dive with less under garments. Cons: hard to put on, hard to dry, limited flexibility, hard to reach valves, once the Velcro starts to go hard to keep the skin in place (fixed in their new models with zippers in place of the velcro but doesn't help me), more bulky to pack for travel.

My LDS has the basic Bare suits in rental, so i have dove those a few times as well.

Take a look at the Ursuit. DRIS is my local shop and I know a lot of people who love them. My tech instructor has a Scuba Force suit, also sold by DRIS.

My "old" suit was a DUI FLX Extreme. Good suit...the metal zip only lasted 78 dives, but the suit itself has well over 100 dives and never leaked outside of the zipper. My biggest issue with the FLX Extreme (mine was a stock size) was that if I was wearing a bulky undergarment, it was too difficult to put on because the shoulders weren't cut wide enough for me in the stock size. I just recently bought a Santi E. Lite Plus to replace the DUI FLX Extreme. While I haven't had it in the water yet, I am really impressed with the quality and the cut., along with some nice features that the DUI suit doesn't have. Time will tell, but so far I think the Santi suit will turn out to be a good purchase. Granted, the cost of the Santi suit was a bit more than the DUI suit, but cost wasn't as much of a factor for me as it may be for others. So the basic question of "is it worth it" is probably answered best by saying if cost isn't as big a concern, then I say yes, it's worth it. But just like everything, there will be less expensive options that give divers the same "bang for their buck."

I own a Santi E-lite Plus and I love it. Can't compare to DUI because I've only owned a Waterproof drysuit before. The Santi is a way better fix because it is custom made to a certain extend. Same with the BZ400.

The store we bought the suits also mentioned the boots being a weak point. Sooner or later they will leak. He also mentioned that if that happens he can put in some sort of layer which will fix the problem (forever) so I am not too concerned about that. Haven't experienced any problems so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom