NERD2 question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His question was, can you use the DiveCan unit (which has a cable) as a stand-alone. The unit you referenced is the stand-alone only, without the cable.

The answer is yes. The Divecan cable is waterproof, although you'd want to keep the connector clean. A cap for those is available, but is expensive and doesn't negate the need for regular cleaning of the contacts on the plug.

You would have to put up with the wire hanging off the NERD which could be annoying, but relatively simple to zip tie it to the LP hose. Likely the DiveCan version came with a CCR mount, so you'd have to get a new mount for the OC setup.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to use a nerd on OC?

Double hose, FFM, photography.
For this question, it's probably have invested in a NERD for a rebreather and dive CCR primarily and only dive OC a couple times a year. No sense in getting another computer for a couple of times a year for reef diving so you make the NERD work. etc.

And it would keep all the dives logged on a single computer.

I don't have a DIVCAN NERD but I do have a DIVCAN Petral.
I am pretty sure you can't set it to OC tech nor OC rec. But you can dive it on BO mode which is OC. Probably will depend on the specific programming for who it was made for. I'll have to go through the menus when I get home but I believe I can set my non-DIVCAN (just a monitor) NERD to OC mode. The programming of the Petrel and the NERD are nearly identical, for a little while I had a backup Petral that was loaded as a NERD.

You may get stuck with flashing red warnings about bad cell readings that won't go away. That would be rather annoying in your face the whole time. But it is a Shearwater. I have no doubt that it will track the dive, calculate deco and all the stuff it needs to do to keep you alive.

tbone, you are correct. My DIVCAN Petrel is a controller. That would make a lot more sense.
Do they offer a DIVCAN monitor? I only know DIVCAN as a controller.
My NERD is a monitor but completely isolated from DIVECAN or anything in the controller. I could have the DIVCAN fail, short out, take out everything regarding reading cells but the NERD will still function on its own cells.

@broncobowsher yes, the NERD1/2 and Petrel are offered as monitors. You can't buy the controllers separate from the rebreathers, but any time you see a Nerd or Petrel marked as "divecan" it's a monitor, and INFINITELY better than a fischer which is a idiotic industry standard that should have been killed off more than a decade ago.
Read this. We are talking about the monitor bus that is standard on MOST of the divecan rebreathers. The SF2 is one of the few exceptions.
What is DiveCAN® and why should I care? - Shearwater Research

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom