Indiana woman dies diving Vandenberg - Key West, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's also a bit like downhill skiing. You can pick the green run, the blue run, or the double black diamond run - sometimes you even find it being picked for you. I have no idea what the circumstances were here, but as a general rule if you're not fully sure you're up to it, pick a green run at least for the first day. See what your comfort level is after a long spell away from the deep. Do some fun reef dives where the ambience, pace, pressure, and physical challenges are more certain to make for a relaxed and pleasant dive.

Very sorry to hear about this life ending here on earth. Condolences to the family and friends

Very sad, my condolences to the family and friends.

I'd rather checkout diving than rotting away in nursing home. This year starts my 52nd year of diving not a bad run so far!
I don't do much deep diving these days, as a matter of fact I don't think I went deeper than 40FSW last year. Not really planned but I've been trying to get good pictures of small critters in shallow water so no deep dives.
I've always wanted to try deep air... Someday I will probably try it...

To clarify, this is only to say I do not want to suffer through a long painful decline as my grand parents did with cancers of varying types.... I plan to torment the world for at least another 50 years...

In the article, the brother said that it could have happened anywhere, even at breakfast so does lead one to believe it was health related rather than something caused by the dive itself.

lets resist coming to conclusions without knowing some facts.

That's not how it works around here.

Typically @DandyDon is the first one to post a thread about a diving accident. How he is almost invariably the first to post on such matters defies explanation other than (and I will speculate) that he obsessively scours the internet all day long for breaking news regarding the latest scuba diving fatality.

A link to an article is posted, which will almost always refer to the accident as directly, indirectly or ambiguously related to scuba diving in some way, although often it cannot even be determined if the victim was in fact breathing compressed air at the time of the incident. More often than not, the terms "oxygen tank" will be stated within the article.

After the link is posted here, SB posters will offeri up anything from reasonable and plausible explanations to wild theories that are beyond the scope of imagination or believability. Some will take offense, arguments will take place, no one will ever change their position, and the thread will ultimately be derailed as some minor topic that was brought up along the way becomes the new focus of the thread.

At some point, big red words will fill up the screen with warnings about thread bans and such, at which point things get rather quiet until and unless new information is brought to light.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Groundhog day :)

Typically @DandyDon is the first one to post a thread about a diving accident. How he is almost invariably the first to post on such matters defies explanation other than (and I will speculate) that he obsessively scours the internet all day long for breaking news regarding the latest scuba diving fatality.

A link to an article is posted, which will almost always refer to the accident as directly, indirectly or ambiguously related to scuba diving in some way, although often it cannot even be determined if the victim was in fact breathing compressed air at the time of the incident. More often than not, the terms "oxygen tank" will be stated within the article.

After the link is posted here, SB posters will offeri up anything from reasonable and plausible explanations to wild theories that are beyond the scope of imagination or believability. Some will take offense, arguments will take place, no one will ever change their position, and the thread will ultimately be derailed as some minor topic that was brought up along the way becomes the new focus of the thread.

At some point, big red words will fill up the screen with warnings about thread bans and such, at which point things get rather quiet until and unless new information is brought to light.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Isn't that why we come here?

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

You forgot to say that complete strangers will immediately offer prayers and "deep condolences".

How he is almost invariably the first to post on such matters defies explanation other than (and I will speculate) that he obsessively scours the internet all day long for breaking news regarding the latest scuba diving fatality.
Hardly. I do try to post what I find if no one else has, only sharing what I find, then hoping others with more information will bring us more even tho they did not want to be the first to post about an incident, in hopes that we can learn from the mishaps of other divers - but I don't put any time into my endeavors. I do get google alert emails once a day that do include links to stories on diver accidents including sky divers, cliff divers, competitive divers, dumpster divers, but those are easy to scan. And once a day at most I search google news, scanning the first three pages. Oh, I also post on stories others have referred to me because they did not want to be the one who did. But that's all.

Just wanted to say that it is not a site to be taken lightly when the currents are ripping and the water is green/low viz. The shop I went out with did not put a DM in the water, obviously I have no idea if that was the case here or if that would have had any impact whatsoever. Again, I’m so sorry it turned out this way for this poor diver and her family.

I don't think DM in the water as a guide is necessarily a standard thing for the Vandenberg. But considering the current and depth, a comprehensive dive plan, thoroughly discussed with your buddy before getting in the water, is essential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom