Nitrox certification...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My PADI online nitrox class was $185. I'll admit that I opened the app immediately after signing up, clicked on "take test" and passed it missing 1 question. I then went to LDS a few days later, planned 3 nitrox dives, had them graded by the instructor, showed them I could put my computer in nitrox mode, analyzed and labeled 3 tanks filled out practice nitrox diveshop log and went on my way.

I'll admit that I opened the app immediately after signing up, clicked on "take test" and passed it missing 1 question.
Well, if you remember your high school phys & chem, the only new in the curriculum is oxtox.

My LDS charged me $100.00 for the PADI course, even at that price it was a waste of my time and my money. Didn't learn anything I didn't already know and I've used nitrox 3 times in the last 10 years. I haven't found any benefit to using nitrox for me.

My advise is to make sure you'll get something out of the cert before you pay. Ask yourself:
Can I exceed the NDLs with my tank? If like me you can't then nitrox will not give you more bottom time. If yes you have reason 1 for using nitrox.

Do you do multiple dives per day? If yes than you could benefit from nitrox. If no strike 2

Do you dive deep? The deeper you dive the less O2 in the blend.

When I used nitrox to dive the U853 at 120FSW I used 28% nitrox considering nitrox costs double compared to air I didn't getting much of what I paid for, O2. I was using doubles so I actually did get a little more bottom time, the second dive was also a little longer. However for the money involved it wasn't worth it. I also had to get my tanks O2 cleaned at $60.00 per tank, because my LDS blends they don't bank.
I'll just go on using air like I have since 1968.

I did my Nitrox class through SSI back in 2003 or so. IIRC, I think the course was around $150 but I could be off. It was under $200 at any rate. The course I took did not require any dives. It was book and classroom only. It was really before SSI was moving toward online as I don't recall an online option.

It was sufficiently thorough, went through the theory, formulas, etc. We used tables and formulas for much of the course, and only really touched on computers. Discussed O2 cleaning, and analyzed tanks. Overall, I felt it was sufficiently thorough. But, what you get out of the course is directly proportional to what you put in. I read through the book thoroughly, so was pretty prepared. Some of the other students really didn't seem like they should have passed Open Water based on some of the questions they asked.

Done with the course. It was fun and I learned a lot. I like running the numbers on paper. I'm in the S.F. Bay Area and called a TDI affiliate in Alameda (Blue Endeavors) to arrange for the practical part and left a message. I haven't heard back as yet and wonder if BE will be able to accommodate me?

blue endeavors is a special snowflake. did you end up going through phil instead?

I'm hoping to find an local-ish TDI instructor to check me out on the practical. Is Phil Sammet someone who can/will do that?

Edit: I called Any Water Sports and they will relay a message to Phil. I hope this is productive.

Edit II: Just got off the phone with Phil. Nice guy and he's gonna get it squared away for me.

Mucho thanks @runsongas!

I taught for NAUI and TDI as far as Nitrox learning was concerned. I charged about $150 for TDI and the same for NAUI course. BUT I told my students that the NAUI course will require learning the NAUI textbook will require a lot more investment of time and effort. IMO it's a much more comprehensive course. Not bashing TDI but the course book for NAUI was much more comprehensive. Both resulted in safe divers.

My LDS charged me $100.00 for the PADI course, even at that price it was a waste of my time and my money. Didn't learn anything I didn't already know and I've used nitrox 3 times in the last 10 years. I haven't found any benefit to using nitrox for me.

My advise is to make sure you'll get something out of the cert before you pay. Ask yourself:
Can I exceed the NDLs with my tank? If like me you can't then nitrox will not give you more bottom time. If yes you have reason 1 for using nitrox.

Do you do multiple dives per day? If yes than you could benefit from nitrox. If no strike 2

Do you dive deep? The deeper you dive the less O2 in the blend.

When I used nitrox to dive the U853 at 120FSW I used 28% nitrox considering nitrox costs double compared to air I didn't getting much of what I paid for, O2. I was using doubles so I actually did get a little more bottom time, the second dive was also a little longer. However for the money involved it wasn't worth it. I also had to get my tanks O2 cleaned at $60.00 per tank, because my LDS blends they don't bank.
I'll just go on using air like I have since 1968.

Very surprised that you didn't use Nitrox much. But I suppose it also depends on how many repeat days diving you do, and the working depth.
The second time I went to Scapa Flow for a weeks diving I was Nitrox qualified, as was my buddy. Very unusual at the time (early 90's). Nitrox was only available from one skipper only (not ours). We used to nip down to his boat early, get out 3l cylinders filled with Nitrox 50, and use this on the (air) decompression stops each day. This massively reduced our fatigue, especially towards the end of the week.
The following year, we had Nitrox clean Twins, and had Nitrox each day, that massively reduced our decompression penalty.

Now, if we go to Scapa, we make sure everyone is Nitrox qualified. It's safer, more enjoyable, and reduces our decompression penalties.

That said, Scapa is perfect Nitrox diving.
Capital wrecks between 25m and 42m. Block ships are generally shallower than 20m.
It's two dives a day, capital ship in the morning, block ship in the afternoon. Temperate water diving, 5 days back to back. Decompression diving is the norm.
If on twins, we generally put a rich mix in for the afternoon dive (36%), then air top for the following morning to ensure a safe PO2. That keeps the cost down. Nitrox is blended, so cylinders need to be O2 clean.

Because I've been diving a CCR since early 2000's, I only now buy Nitrox for bailout, or when on Holiday and OC diving.

^^^ Very true. I did PADI, my daughter did NAUI at different times, probably should have been reversed. PADI is for people who would be happy how to analyze a tank, memorize the MOD for 32 and 36 at pO2 1.4 so they can use shop provided tanks and fills and label the tank...

I think your experience is more likely due to different instructors. While the minimum standards may be quite different, I know you can get the same level of training from PADI you can get from NAUI... If the instructor and student are willing. While the minimum completion standard may be quite low with PADI, the instructor materials provide for a much more advanced level of instruction. I don't know NAUI's minimum standard.
I know I have included all the formulas and calculations in the PADI course. I am not confident all PADI instructors can teach to that level but the materials contain the information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom