Oxygen Regulator Basics - Video by Jill Heinerth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not much useful info there as far as oxygen safety of what oxygen-clean actually means. Also, oxygen is not flammable.
Yepper, the term Jill was using was "combustible". It's not. Pure oxygen doesn't burn, but most other things in the presence of O2 will combust at much lower temperatures than "normal"

Also, no reason to seal the regs in bags. Once you take it out and put it on a cylinder the outside is no longer O2 clean anyway. Unless you are lubing the Orings in the second with vaseline or gear oil, seconds don't need to be O2 cleaned either. Even then you need an ignition source of some kind to get it going at that low of a pressure (IP).
Think about it, you take the 2nd and put it in the water. Every part of that stage has now come into contact with organics. The critical O2 cleaning needs to happen in the internals of the 1st.

Well blow me down, and I've been using this for post dive O2 breathing for decades.

full.jpg

I can only hope and pray, this normalisation of deviance has a couple of decades left.

Like me.

Also, no reason to seal the regs in bags. Once you take it out and put it on a cylinder the outside is no longer O2 clean anyway.

If anything, it's a cheap way of ensuring "chain of custody" - you know that it hasn't been taken out and stuck on some non-O2-clean cylinder before you get it.

of course I should also include more current earnings optimisation for underwater use

full.jpg

with 50 percent oxygen and 100 percent oxygen use, with no modifications, ho hum

serious question.....does anyone have, or can you direct me to, any documented cases of fire and / or explosions with o2 scuba gear that was directly caused by equip that was NOT "o2 cleaned" ? pls do not assume i am taking a stance either for or against the proper practice of keeping o2 gear properly cleaned. i would just like to read the info if there is any avail
thx

serious question.....does anyone have, or can you direct me to, any documented cases of fire and / or explosions with o2 scuba gear that was directly caused by equip that was NOT "o2 cleaned" ? pls do not assume i am taking a stance either for or against the proper practice of keeping o2 gear properly cleaned. i would just like to read the info if there is any avail
thx

I mean it happens frequently with "o2 cleaned" regs.. there was a guy not long ago who had his rebreather blow up at ginnie when he opened his O2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom