Questions for recent La Paz visitors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHeid2288

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking about booking a short (4-5 day) trip to La Paz in April. Hoping to see the whale sharks and sea lions.

Can any recent travelers comment on how to get there? When I search expedia for flight/hotel combo, all the flights are in to SJD (not La Paz). I can find direct flights into La Paz but they are a little more pricey and not available in bundle deals. If flying into SJD, how does one best get to La Paz and at what cost? Also, did it feel safe going to/from the beach, or out to dinner/drinks in the evening time?

Thanks!

Flying from where?

interesting. When I look at the month of April on Google Flights, two things jump out: prices go way up around Easter, and it is cheaper to fly to La Paz through Mexico City than to fly direct to Cabo San Lucas.

Thanks - it appears avoiding the few days around Easter helps! Also, I usually just go to expedia- google flights seems more comprehensive. Thank you!

You can rent a car to get to La Paz from San Jose del Cabo. Although I've never used them I'm sure there are shuttles and buses. You can check with whoever you decide to stay with in La Paz.

Thinking about booking a short (4-5 day) trip to La Paz in April. Hoping to see the whale sharks and sea lions.

Can any recent travelers comment on how to get there? When I search expedia for flight/hotel combo, all the flights are in to SJD (not La Paz). I can find direct flights into La Paz but they are a little more pricey and not available in bundle deals. If flying into SJD, how does one best get to La Paz and at what cost? Also, did it feel safe going to/from the beach, or out to dinner/drinks in the evening time?

Thanks!

Hello, for getting into La Paz you can do:

1) Fly into San Diego, use the CBX Cross Border Xpress bridge into Tijuana Airport and fly Volaris to La Paz.
2) Fly into Los Cabos (SJD) and use ecobajatours.com shuttle from Los Cabos airport into La Paz Malecón. Ecobaja is very cheap and it's door to door.

Whale Shark season is Mid-October - May and Sea Lions from September thru May.

There´s UBER in La Paz and fantastic restaurants: Las 3 vírgenes, La Peregrina, Los Magueyes, Tailhunter, el Zarape among others. As long as you are in the touristic areas La Paz is one of the safest towns in Mexico, of course common sense rules apply.

Beaches are SUPER safe around: Balandra, Tecolote, Pichilngue are nice. 2 hotels with their own beach: Club Hotel Cantamar (who has Baja Diving & Service dive center and the largest dive center in La Paz clubcantamar.com ) and La Concha Beach resort.

Semana Santa (Easter's weekend) is April 5-11 it's going to be packed!

A couple of other eating suggestions in areas that I felt to be safe.

I had a good size BBQ ribs dinner for what amounted to $12 at J&R Ribs on 5 de Mayo Street, 2 short blocks from the La Paz Cathedral, maybe 2-3 blocks in from the waterfront street (Obregon, I think). That area seemed very safe.

An even cheaper meal of Carnitas can be had at Los Michoacanos at the Mercado Bravo. I went there for lunch, not dinnertime/evening. Not the best carnitas, but certainly good value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom