Wayne Hasson - Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Long time industry icon passed away after an illness from cancer.

I am sorry to hear that, we had the opportunity to meet Wayne Hasson several years ago at the Our World Underwater Show in Chicago years ago and he was very personable and friendly.

Every year the Scuba Hall of Fame on Grand Cayman honor locals that have promoted diving in Cayman as well as inducting International Hall of Fame winners. In 2018 Wayne Hasson was named a local Honoree and they published this bio about his life and work:

https://www.visitcaymanislands.com/en-us/isdhf/isdhf-bios/wayne-hasson

Wayne Hasson
Wayne Hasson has been leading divers to the sea for most of his life and has probably spent more time underwater than above. Along the way, he has had a significant impact on how we see and explore our world. An avid diver since 1967, Mr. Hasson began his love affair with the sea during an eight-year stint in the Marines, where he certified scores of his fellow warriors and their family members. After departing the Marine Corps in 1978, he immediately began to furrow a deep trough in the dive world. Among his myriad accomplishments, Mr. Hasson founded Aggressor Fleet in 1984 and captained the first Cayman Aggressor. His approach to the luxury live-aboard concept has literally changed the way we explore the world. Today there are 12 Aggressor-franchised live-aboards.

While in the Cayman Islands, Mr. Hasson helped install the first 112 permanent moorings and took the concept and idea to Belize, Turks and Caicos, the Bay Islands, Kona and Truk. He also invented SASY (Supplied Air Snorkeling for Youth) and his award-winning photography has been featured in publications worldwide. Mr. Hasson has been a major voice and influence in the world of diving for over 40 years, accumulating more than 10,000 dives along the way, and he still spends several hundred hours a year underwater. When not diving, he’s one of the world’s greatest advocates and most vigorous promoters of scuba diving as the ultimate activity and lifestyle. Most recently, he has put together a program of marine science, diving and awareness, called Oceans for Youth, to inspire the next generation of divers.

Wayne quickly became a friend about 10 years ago after an interesting chance encounter. My wife and I had been on several Aggressor trips over the years and had another trip scheduled in several months. My sister, who lives in Naples, invited us to come down and visit with her and by the way, one of her friends was going to join us at dinner and her husband owned a "diving" boat. My sister wasn't a diver, but knew that we were and she thought it would be nice to have over another couple who were also diving enthusiasts.

From reputation, I knew who Wayne was but had never met him. I was quite surprised when he and Anne showed up at my sister's home and we were introduced. To say that it was an interesting evening would be an understatement. Wayne told us about diving in Cuba and the Cayman Islands in the early days, meetings with Castro and government leader, in order to further diving interests in their countries. The fascinating stories seemed to go on forever and I didn't want the evening to end. Coincidently, as we talked throughout the evening, and got to know Wayne and Anne better, we also learned that Wayne was also scheduled to be on our future Aggressor trip. That trip was also a week to remember as we got to really know Wayne and hear more fascinating stories of the early days of diving and how he influenced it.

Learning about Wayne's death yesterday left me feeling sad for Anna, his kids and the rest of all Wayne's family and friends around the world. He touched many people and his influence will live through all that met him for a very long time. A true legend has passed. Like many friends, it seems that too many of the good die way too early and will be missed for a long time. Wayne leaves a lot of great memories and I'm sure that the stories will also continue long after I'm gone...

Back in 1981 Wayne took Robbie Meistrell and I out for a dive. We swear never to tell, but now I like to share Wayne and a very old anchor. (copyright Bob Evans)

Attachments

• anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 170
Back in 1981 Wayne took Robbie Meistrell and I out for a dive. We swear never to tell, but now I like to share Wayne and a very old anchor. (copyright Bob Evans)
Thank Bob. Wayne was a friend, and I hate to see him go.

I met Wayne long before Wayne Brown bought out Paul Haines family''s share of Aggressor Fleet. I used to take Spree to the Aggressor yard (Seacraft Marine) in Morgan City, LA. Paul was a true gentleman, and Wayne was a good part of that.

Not only did Wayne buy the Spree, now the Oceans for Youth boat described by KathyV above, he very gently eased the sting of the sale. When I attended the DEMA following the sale, and after a contentious negotiation with the buyer's lawyer (from Miami, 'nuff said), Wayne stopped Melanie and I in the aisle at DEMA and told us how happy they were with the boat, how we had kept it in such great shape over our 20 of the 40 years she had been afloat, and really let us know how much they appreciated the sale and how they were going to use the boat the way I had always dreamed that I could use her. It made me happy to know that someone would take care of her, and he made us feel that we had done him a favor by selling her to him.

It turns out Anne and the wife of our stockbroker of 50 years (I inherited the broker) were sorority sisters, and so I knew them in a non-diving way as well. Wayne could be a gruff individual, and full of himself. I recognize that clearly, as Wayne was a dive boat Captain long before I was.

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Wayne. May your fills always be 3400 PSI and may you always have 100 feet of visibility.

Aggressor Adventures has posted a tribute video to Wayne Hasson on Facebook:

Captain Wayne Hasson
President of Aggressor Adventures
1949 - 2020

Captain Wayne Hasson of Naples, FL, passed away on January 17 at Avow Hospice at age 70. Wayne was a family man, Marine, SCUBA Diver extraordinaire and instructor, boat captain, pilot, world traveler and true pioneer in the SCUBA diving industry. Wayne’s passion was to introduce and inspire youth around the world to explore, understand and respect the ocean and its inhabitants through diving, ocean education and conservation.

“Mentor, innovator, dedicated family man, lover of all things oceans. Wayne Hasson was so many things to so many that it would not be possible to list them all. His passion for the scuba diving world was clearly evident to everyone that met him. In the 36 years with Aggressor, he never once wavered in his dedication to the company and it’s staff. We are all blessed to have crossed paths with him. May his memory and accomplishments be remembered forever” says CEO & Friend, Wayne B. Brown.

In his memory, the family has set up the Sea of Change Foundation, Wayne Hasson Scholarship Fund to help fund a Master's level educational scholarship to an individual pursuing a lifetime career in ocean conservation. https://seaofchange.com/donate-2

To view his obituary click here.

Please feel free to share your memories and condolences with his wife and children; anne@aggressor.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom