BCD wouldn't let air out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you read a few posts up you’d understand my post.
Sorry, I can't find any posts about "saving air." Can you give a post number?
Why so antagonistic?
Your post #66 is clearly upset with something that I can't find anybody said. Perhaps you are the one being antagonistic?

Sorry, I can't find any posts about "saving air." Can you give a post number?

Your post #66 is clearly upset with something that I can't find anybody said. Perhaps you are the one being antagonistic?

My point - given this is a forum for learning and alternative breathing techniques in a pickle came up I am just sharing my thoughts on the subject matter.

A lot of divers try to save gas in inefficient or dangerous ways and should be discouraged to do so IMO.

Sorry if I caused offence. You might need to grow some thicker skin but let’s call it a day.

thanks, John

My point - given this is a forum for learning and alternative breathing techniques in a pickle came up I am just sharing my thoughts on the subject matter.

A lot of divers try to save gas in inefficient or dangerous ways and should be discouraged to do so IMO.

Sorry if I caused offence. You might need to grow some thicker skin but let’s call it a day.

thanks, John
Ok, understood now. I was confused because I didn't see the thread as being about alternative breathing techniques, but rather about a malfunctioning BCD, which then drifted off toward breathing from the BCD. Which I hope most agree is a bad recommendation.

The more general subject of alternative breathing, or more generally "what to do in a pickle" are good topics...maybe you shoujd start a thread that lists good and bad things to do? Probably in a different forum...maybe Advanced.

thanks, John

The misunderstanding arose because you quoted my post about squeezing my bcd down rather than breathing my bcd down pre-entry for a negative entry dive.

Your post read as if you were criticising something to which I was not speaking.

However, this has all clearly been a simple misunderstanding and everyone should stand down NOW.

This always bugs me. Divers that won’t take a few breaths before diving because they think they’re using up gas.

Hate to prolong this topic (sorry @chillyinCanada), but are you referring to taking three breaths off the REGULATOR while monitoring the SPG prior to entry? This is a critical last check to insure the tank valve is open, functional and pressure is stable. If this is the case, I completely agree. However, I’m not aware of this pre-dive procedure being discussed in this particular thread. If you are referring to something else, then I couldn’t be more confused.

are you referring to taking three breaths off the REGULATOR while monitoring the SPG prior to entry? This is a critical last check to insure the tank valve is open, functional and pressure is stable. If this is the case, I completely agree.
As do I. Excellent best-practice!

Hate to prolong this topic (sorry @chillyinCanada), but are you referring to taking three breaths off the REGULATOR while monitoring the SPG prior to entry? This is a critical last check to insure the tank valve is open, functional and pressure is stable. If this is the case, I completely agree. However, I’m not aware of this pre-dive procedure being discussed in this particular thread. If you are referring to something else, then I couldn’t be more confused.
I found with full tanks, a valve has to be barely open in order for the needle to move.

I do breath off all regs in the water and of course check all valves are open (top to bottom, right to left checks)

I check my valves, right along with checking everything. I breathe off of my second stages and check my purges. I do not concern myself with the insignificant air use during these checks. I do the quick breaths check whilst watching my gauges again just before the jump/roll.

None of which has anything to do with squeezing air out of my bcd before a negative entry.

Yeah, sucking the air out is vastly different than breathing on your BC which is also vastly different from prebreathing your regs. I plan and check, so I'm not ever tempted to "breathe" off of my BCD. When you ascribe something to any of us that we don't/won't do, it's a bit upsetting. No one likes words being put in their mouths, so to speak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom