bp/w for both cold/warm water with easy adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moby_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a bp/w setup that has the following attributes:

• Can be used in both cold water (Monterey) and warm water vacations with zero or minimal changes. i.e. same plate and wing. (I can't justify the $ for multiple wings/plates)
  • Can be adjusted for either without reconfiguring the whole thing
  • Doesn't break the bank (I'm currently fantasizing about a Halcyon Infinity 30 w/ss, + pockets, but I like being married so it's not going to happen.)
  • Is somewhat comfortable on land. Monterey has a lot of shore diving and having a ton of weight on thin webbing is not ideal for me. IDK why but even heavily laden backpacks tend to give me a lot of pain in my traps.
  • I'd like a wing that has cam band slots so I can use it without an STA if I choose.
I'm aware of the systems at DGX and Deep6. Both come close to $600 with the options I need and tax. Is there anything comparable but potentially lower priced? Should I just buy used? Is buying a cheaper system and adding the Halcyon cinch system an option? Other ideas? I'd really like to buy something that checks all the boxes and has decent quality so I can stop obsessing/searching/time wasting on this. I'm kinda over it at this point. I try to wait for deals but the endless searching is tiring and Black Friday was disappointing to say the least. Thanks!

stop overthinking it... a BP/W is a simple and scale-able rig. It isn't rocket science to adjust webbing, but many of us do end up with multiple rigs for various implementations.

just get the dgx package. i don't see how you got that up to 600 dollars though. should be like 450 tops with extra cam band pockets and a pair of neoprene pocket shorts.

you just need to loosen/tighten the straps a little when switching between a 3mm for travel or a drysuit for local. extra weight can be handled by cam band pockets.

I personally use a Hollis bp/w. When diving in California, I use their adjustable harness with ditchable weight pockets, an sta, and a cast p weight. In warm water, I swap out the harness for a one piece webbing, ditch the p weight and stay, and only use trim weight pockets on the cam bands.

One of these times I will probably just leave the single piece harness on and not put the adjustable comfort harness back on.

Without knowing how much weight use use I don’t know about weight systems, I could probably get you set up with stuff laying around in my shop for less than $400. I’ll be in Monterey tomorrow morning.

You don’t need shoulder padding, in cold water your exposure protection will take care of that, in warm water your rib won’t be as heavy.

If you are in CA and use a 7mm or drysuit, you will need a bladder with more lift. A bladder with more lift will also be useful if you decide to dive al80 doubles. So you are looking at a bladder with 40-45 pounds. This gives you a lot of flexibility. Diverite rec model would be ok.

The multiple use means that there needs to be a restraining system of sort to keep the wing streamlined and to minimize the tacoing. The diverite rec also has this as well as a few others. The thing to avoid is a bungee system that you cannot adjust. We pin the bladder to the plate using two sided Velcro loops around the external rec bladder bungee.

Long distance carrying of the rig would imply padded shoulder straps. I have had to carry doubles a quarter mile. I think it would have been really uncomfortable without padding. I don’t like the add on pads. This would mean a built in padded system with adjustable straps like the ist and Hollis harnesses. Of course the Hollis harness is more expensive. Contrary to common practice, I like my harness drum tight, so the adjustable straps help with that with different types of exposure suits.

If you went with the Diverite rec in exp material housing, a generic plate, and the ist harness you would stay below $600. You would only need a couple of tank bands and a crotch strap for a basic configuration. some people prefer weight pouches for convenience. That would drive up the price a bit more depending on how many you want to use.

With the exception of the gull wing golem plate and the special carbon fiber halycon backplate, you may feel the need for a single tank adapter which would be another $20-50. Some people find the stability of just the straps ok.

whatever you get, you may want to have someone help you configure it. The weight distribution is critical for many people. We sometimes see people who become dissatisfied with plate and wing systems because they have difficulty configuring them successfully on their own.

Vintage Double Hose (VDH) had an aluminum setup with harness for an amazing price. I got the last Al one, but the SS version isn't a whole lot more. Tons of info on SB about the Argonaut wing as well...
Store | Vintage Double Hose

I'm currently fantasizing about a Halcyon Infinity 30

This, but used since cost is a factor. If you travel more, buy aluminum first with 40 wing, then grab a used SS plate when you can afford it. SS first if you’re focused more on local dives. Either way, it’s an amazingly versatile rig.

My Infinity goes everywhere with me!

Lance

Here’s how you get harness adjustability without spending an extra penny.

Don’t lock your harness webbing with a triglide on the backside of your plate. Harness will then be able to be pulled to loosen or tighten as needed. Works like a charm for me as I need extra slack to get out of my harness.

The Dive Rite Rec wing would be a good choice. You can also look for a USED Halcyon Infinity 40lb wing. That’s what I use for single tank diving with a drysuit and a steel tank.

Back
Top Bottom