Cheap Compressor Filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SurfLung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Cheap Compressor Filters...
- I've seen these advertised on Ebay and it tweaked my curiosity. I wanted to see for myself:
1. Are they compatible with Lawrence Factor pre-packed filters?
2. Is the moisture condenser tower of decent design/function?
3. Are the towers robust enough for high pressure?
4. So I ordered a set to see for myself.
Filters05.jpg

Lawrence Factor Compatibility...
- The closest thing I found is the Lawrence Factor 15XXX series that fit Coltri MCH-6 filter towers. These are same diameter but a little too long. I think the LF filter tube can be shortened into a convenient re-packable tube that would fit. On the other hand, the filter that comes with could also be re-packed. There's a difference in the two filters at the O-ring seal. Personally, I would want the filter to be about 2/3rds 13X Sieve and 1/3 carbon.
(Below: Lawrence Factor is on the left)
Filters08.jpg

Filters09.jpg

Moisture Condenser Tower...
- I am particularly interested in the moisture condenser design because I had to make one for my old Coltri MCH-6 and my old Tornado Kidde actually uses aquarium rocks for condensation surface area. I don't know if this design is unique but it looks better than what was in my old MCH-6 as well as what's in the new MaxAir 35. It looks like it keeps incoming condensation better separated from outgoing dry air.
Filters10.jpg

Filters07.jpg

Robust Design/Construction
- The specs say these filtertowers are rated to 300 BAR or 4351 psi.
- They are thick aluminum construction and heavy.
- Dimensionally they are comparable to the MaxAir 35 and Coltri MCH-6 filter towers.
Filters06.jpg

Additional Thoughts/Comments...
- My challenge right now in trying these out is that they have input and output threads of G1/4. I have other plumbing to hook up and will need these to be adapted to 1/4 NPT for pressure switch, OPV, PMV, etc.
- The all carbon filter they come with isn't that shocking... It wasn't all that long ago that MCH-6 filters were all carbon. Some of the other Ebay filters are being offered in 3-part filter materials so I would not be surprised if these get offered that way too.
- Meantime I can either shorten Lawrence factor before use or re-pack.
- These filters have a clever extraction method... The tops are threaded for a bolt. Screw it in and you have a nice big handle to pull out the filter.

How are you supposed to access the filter once the outlet is plumbed in?

How are you supposed to access the filter once the outlet is plumbed in?
Maybe that is why they are cheap. Design error?

I see what you mean but you're forgetting there are a lot of different ways and connectors being used these days... What with PCP Airguns and Paintball fitting into the mix. Quick Disconnects are very common in that world for example. You DO see how easy it is to get the tube ends off if they're not connected, right? So just make them easy to disconnect.

Okay so in my case, I have my Back Pressure Regulator (BPR) incorporated into the yoke, gauge, and bleed valve on the end of my fill whip. This is just like the original set up of my RIX SA3 compressor. Well anyway, I connect this easily to the JIC connection on the filter tube of my AeroTecnica MCH-6 compressor. So, if I put a JIC connector on the top of this NEW filter, I'll have essentially the same thing. All I have to do is disconnect the fill whip to check/change the filter.

Aerotecnica02.jpg

You will need a bleeder valve somewhere upstream of your backpressure reg.

Cheap Short Life Compressor Filters...

- There I've fixed it for you

1. Threads in side wall corrode out in < 6 months
2. Aluminium body poor thin film decorative dye anodizing corrosion internal wall
3. Thread form neither BSP or NPT or JIS when measured with go/no go gauge
4. Not manufactured to any recognized known pressure rating standard
5. OD to ID extra heavy wall thickness suggests they use a low quality aluminium
6. Taper metal threads are cadmium plated OK for air gun (see cadmium poisoning)
7. Milling flats to side wall shell for side fittings reduces allowable working pressure
8. Ebay sellers no liability buyer beware
9. Frankly why we are taking this crap seriously on this forum is beyond me
10. Misleading misinformed air gun tat for the misguided with no place in this forum.

.[/QUOTE]

9. Frankly why we are taking this crap seriously on this forum is beyond me
If everyone already knew the information presented in your and similar post there would be little use for a forum.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to reading the OP's updates as time passes.

Satisfying Curiosity...
- Isn't THAT enough of a reason to discuss something on a forum?
- I spent about $235 to get a set of these physically into my hands so I can take them apart, see how they work, try them out. I had some specific questions to start with and perhaps others on this forum had similar questions. I can afford the $235 just to try these filters out and if I don't like them, throw them away. There are lots of fun points of discussion if the topic could be given a chance.

1. Surprising comparisons to the old systems I have encountered in my RIX, MCH-6, and Tornado Kidd compressor restorations.
2. Breathing Air Test Results... Once I set these filters up, I plan to get the air tested. Anybody interested in that?
3. Aluminum Filter Tube Life... Most compressor companies recommend replacing aluminum tube filters after so much use. Are these of comparable life?
4. More?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom