Divemaster vs. Tech Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a TDI instructor do you not believe that a AN/DP course would be of much greater help in developing diving skills than a whole bunch of PADI specialties.

As a TDI instructor trainer that can make AN/DP instructors, it is my opinion that someone that has no interest in technical diving should not be taking deco courses.

Where has the OP stated he has no interest in technical diving. From his original post it appears that he did have some interest.

Where has the OP stated he has no interest in technical diving. From his original post it appears that he did have some interest.

Yeah, I read the following paragraph in post 1 to imply that his sole interest in technical diving is to be a better diver:

I am interested in both and from what I have been told the Divemaster one will prepare me to work in the industry whereas the technical one will help to make me a stronger diver. Would you agree with this statement? Is one looked upon more favorable from an employment standpoint?

I saw nothing in his post that actually indicated he wanted to do that type of diving. I would argue that a person could become a pretty strong diver staying within the confines of the type of diving they wish to do.

Yeah, I read the following paragraph in post 1 to imply that his sole interest in technical diving is to be a better diver:

I saw nothing in his post that actually indicated he wanted to do that type of diving. I would argue that a person could become a pretty strong diver staying within the confines of the type of diving they wish to do.
That's true but people often dont know what they dont know.
Although taking a good intro to tech or fundies is probably a better first step than AN/DP to see the extent of his interest level in technical diving.

That's true but people often dont know what they dont know.
Although taking a good intro to tech or fundies is probably a better first step than AN/DP to see the extent of his interest level in technical diving.

Agreed. OP didn’t indicate any interest in anything (wrecks, caves) that would require tech classes. Just mentioned he wanted to be a stronger diver.

If he just wants to be a stronger and better-educated diver, an AN/DP class is a better option than DM. AN/DP is not always about going deep. I've done deco dives that never broke 100 ft. But I had a blast and was able to spend the time I wanted on the site to do what I wanted to do. Tech classes will also hopefully dispel some of the false info in recreational classes about how safe diving is.
My biggest mistake was doing DM before my tech training. Tech training required better skills and more knowledge as well as a much clearer understanding of the risks of the activity. It made me a better DM, and subsequently, instructor.

Some of you have way more experience than I but I'd really lean towards some light tech before becoming a DM assuming you'd be leading dives where the extra theory knowledge would come into play. I like the theory portion, sure you can read books but actually getting in the water and seeing what happens makes the difference for me.

Leading dives, what computers are absurdly conservative, this guy is diving GF 95/95, this person forgot to reset the gas they're breathing and has 15 minutes of deco - I like knowing more about things than what was provided in the DM class.

Again - I guess it may come down to what are your duties as a DM, if you'll mostly be assisting instructors, maybe a firm understanding of advanced theory isn't what you need. Tech diving cleaned up my diving, much more thinking goes into falling in the water on every dive, not just planned deco dives.

Some of you have way more experience than I but I'd really lean towards some light tech before becoming a DM assuming you'd be leading dives where the extra theory knowledge would come into play. I like the theory portion, sure you can read books but actually getting in the water and seeing what happens makes the difference for me.

Leading dives, what computers are absurdly conservative, this guy is diving GF 95/95, this person forgot to reset the gas they're breathing and has 15 minutes of deco - I like knowing more about things than what was provided in the DM class.

Again - I guess it may come down to what are your duties as a DM, if you'll mostly be assisting instructors, maybe a firm understanding of advanced theory isn't what you need. Tech diving cleaned up my diving, much more thinking goes into falling in the water on every dive, not just planned deco dives.
Agree with that. I found the DM course more than thorough enough for assisting with OW courses. There was very little that would help me if I had lead dives on a charter. Yes, there was quite a bit in the DM manual about positioning on the boat, in water, etc., but not a whole lot of other stuff that I assume you'd get taking tech. Really the only practical experience was our one day of 2 boat dives where we gave a dive briefing and lead one other diver around on the wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom