Divemaster vs. Tech Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what age you plan on retiring BUT
There are very few who can (or should) take up significant decompression diving at 65+yrs old. Most tech divers are dialing back their risks and exposures starting in their mid-60s and limiting themselves to "tech-lite" stuff, not just starting to build their experience in decompression.
The DM is the start of the path towards working with students. You could do that now or when you're 70+ yrs old.

If you are just taking AN/DP or Tech40 or Tech1 etc for fun that's fine too. They will all get your fin in the door at the tech-lite level and give you a bit more knowledge than the average recreational DM.

Is there anything you want to see that's outside of rec limits?

If no, there's not a lot of sense in upping your risks and expenses. You can get plenty strong as a diver without taking technical classes.

I'm not sure what age you plan on retiring BUT
There are very few who can (or should) take up significant decompression diving at 65+yrs old. Most tech divers are dialing back their risks and exposures starting in their mid-60s and limiting themselves to "tech-lite" stuff, not just starting to build their experience in decompression.
The DM is the start of the path towards working with students. You could do that now or when you're 70+ yrs old.

If you are just taking AN/DP or Tech40 or Tech1 etc for fun that's fine too. They will all get your fin in the door at the tech-lite level and give you a bit more knowledge than the average recreational DM.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that comment. I know a few 70 somethings diving to 300 something.

I was in a similar situation, but retired from teaching 10 years before getting OW certified (due to my location). I agree with those who say tech. is best to improve diving. I enjoyed assisting OW courses, one reason being I got a toe back into education. Being a middle school teacher I'm sure you would find assisting with courses, or instructing them as an instructor a piece of cake. Probably would scoff a bit when learning how a scuba instructor must motivate and keep control of a class of 6-8 adults....
I really don't think you need any tech. to be a good DM or instructor. Maybe only half the staff where I worked had tech. cert. That would be for your own benefit as a diver. Unless of course you someday wanted to teach that.
A little off topic, but I always like to add to please don't work for for a shop in return for perks/free air as pay, and no dollars....It's like a club musician working for free beer.

Taking a course like AN/DP with a GOOD instructor is probably the fastest way to improve your skills, you might find it is the first scuba class where you are really challenged.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that comment. I know a few 70 somethings diving to 300 something.
I'm not saying its not done. But did they take AN/DP for the first time in their late 60s and 70s? That would be rare I think

I'm not saying its not done. But did they take AN/DP for the first time in their late 60s and 70s? That would be rare I think
True enough, with my new bionic knees I am hoping for another decade or so of tech diving.

Unless you have a desire to go diving outside of recreational limits, I'd take the money you would spend on gear, training and travel and put it in a good IRA while continuing to dive at your current level. The power of compound interest, even with just 12 years, will be a better investment towards your retirement than taking a deco class today.

Unless you have a desire to go diving outside of recreational limits, I'd take the money you would spend on gear, training and travel and put it in a good IRA while continuing to dive at your current level. The power of compound interest, even with just 12 years, will be a better investment towards your retirement than taking a deco class today.
As a TDI instructor do you not believe that a AN/DP course would be of much greater help in developing diving skills than a whole bunch of PADI specialties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom