Beyond Ambon, any advice on Seram, Separatua etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sweausg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi Indonesia experts!

Me and my wife fly into Ambon late January and have about 2 1/2 weeks for Ambon and surroundings.

Beyond the diving in Ambon (Critter Junkies), we also aim to visit Saparua, and possibly Seram, Molana and/or Nusa Laut.

On Saparua we plan to dive with Mahu Lodge, hopefully the weather will permit diving Molana and Nusa Laut from there. Is it worth staying on Molana and or Nusa Laut (in addition to the diving there) for a couple of nights just to enjoy the island and good snorkelling?

I have not been able to find much info about Seram. Does anyone here know of places/operators for diving there? How is the transportation to and on the island?

We know this is remote and are ok with simple setups and some hassle getting there. Going local style is fine and our schedule is pretty flexible without locked in dates or places.

Would appreciate any suggestions for good areas for snorkelling and interesting things/places top side in this part of Moluccas, or other general tips for the area.
Cheers

Great choice, this part of Maluku is so cool to travel!

Molana is fab, I have been lucky enough to spend a few days 3 times, one of which on New Year's eve. Snorkeling is great but the best is that freakin' goddamn beach and that almost artificial blue tint of the water, or the sunsets while you look at the storms on Seram in the background. You realize there is something else in life than just diving.
Contact Pak Agust Kaya beforehand, he only speaks bahasa or arrange through Facebook page or Pico Seno https://www.facebook.com/picos/about?lst=716332865:780880693:1579191144

There is NO operation diving from Molana but Mahu Lodge is supposed to arrange. I have mixed feeling with the owner but insist on going diving the south part of Molana which is beautiful.

Nusa Laut diving is beautiful (Ameth coral garden) but there is no way ou can lodge.
Saparua is not as good diving.

The owner from Mahu Lodge will advise on Seram he used to guide tourists for birding and butterfly treks. Can't say never been there.

New year's eve on Molana
8380831689_7e753dfc42_z.jpg

Molana beach in feb
5520901912_93db0d8205_z.jpg

South Molana wall
8405755255_896ae2929e_z.jpg

There is a dive operator/lodge on Ceram yes, I have done a few dives in that area that are quite good, would be interesting to see what they have found now that they have been in operation around 2 years.

Nakaela Lodge Seram

Thanks for great info and inspiration Luko!
Awesome pictures too! It was probably a previous write up from you who got me onto Molana. Recall your issue with Mahu Lodge, but we'll still try to stay and dive from there. Johan told me they go to both Molana and Nusa Laut, weather permitting, he also told me that the western wind season had made it hard for them to go to Molana lately. I asked Pico about the weather mentioned by John but got not answer on that. After seeing you pictures we will certainly try to get there!

Think there might be a simple homestay (from google maps) in Ameth village on Nusa Laut. If time and logistics works out it could be a nice place for a couple days snorkeling, the reef appear to be healthy and very fishy.

Will check more with Mahu Lodge about Seram. Read somewhere that the rivers on Seram can be an issue for viz in some areas, apparently including Nakaela Lodge.

Thanks Mike, will check them it out again. From their website I got the feeling they were rather focused on packages and groups coming directly from Germany, the facebook page got me more interested.

Thanks again!
If anyone got input, especially on Seram or any further comments and tips, it's all appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom