Do we understand the most important thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi guys, I have just been doing some checking on my strobes as my slave (YS110a) seemed to be underexposing the 'shadow' side of shots.
I read an article that said the 110a loses 1 stop if the standard diffuser is attached.

It suddenly dawned on me that I am missing the key part of UW photography ie I knew a lot about my camera but almost nothing about my strobes. For example, there is a setting on the flashes (1) that I have never used and forgotten what it is for. There is an alternative to slave settings and I am not sure what that does.
Even the most used setting the power dial (I use manual), I had never run it max to minimum to see what output they have. Never used TTL seriously apart from a couple of tests a few years ago.

I am sure some of you are completely up to date with what your flash can do, but I wonder how many are like me and just made assumptions?

'Assumptions are the standpoints of fools' and I thiink I have been a little foolish.

Just stumbled over this which I have only scanned but it sounds interesting.
When Auto is Better than Manual - S and A Modes
This article is about camera modes, not strobe modes...

If you have forgotten what your strobe modes are try a quick read of the manual. Most Sea & Sea manuals mostly make sense.

In reference to your overall question, I understand the capabilities of each of my strobes. This has required careful reading of the manual along with extensive dry land testing in my basement.

This article is about camera modes, not strobe modes...

If you have forgotten what your strobe modes are try a quick read of the manual. Most Sea & Sea manuals mostly make sense.

In reference to your overall question, I understand the capabilities of each of my strobes. This has required careful reading of the manual along with extensive dry land testing in my basement.

OK Jf, I do understand you are a nerd and good on you for it. Unfortunately, many of us would rather have our eyelids torn off than read a manual cover to cover and therefore the reason for this thread (more so that this link)
Apart from pointing out your nerd score, why did you reply?

BTW . The article is not about camera modes. I do understand the difference in this link, but it has relevance to flash photography. In UW photography and it is hard to pull apart the camera from the flash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom